tommy thayer lp issues...continuation thread

horax

Reaction score
Sorry for posting in the other thread...it kind of took on it's own life.

anyway, here's hte deal....got a new Tommy Thayer LP that is amazing! However, some weird things are showing up in the setup.

Unfretted, the LOW adn HIGH E at the 12th AND 17th frets show 5/64 clearance. Fretted at the first fret yields 4/64 on all locations.

back of bridge.jpg
back of nut.jpg
front of nut.jpg
high e.jpg
low e bridge.jpg
side of board.jpg

Street Lethal

Reaction score
I got your PM. The high E side of the bridge doesn't look extremely low to me. Both sides are sitting pretty high in my opinion. I like both sides sitting lower than that and that's just my personal preference. Some people are fine with that bridge height and I've seen a lot of Epiphones with bridges that high. From what I can make out from the last photo the low E string seems to be parallel with the board, which again indicates to me that the neck angle is a bit steep, hence your low action and high bridge. It's really up to you with what you want to do with it. You can't change the neck angle on a LP, not without resetting the neck and that is not worth it on an Epiphone.

Last edited:

horax

Reaction score
I got your PM. The high E side of the bridge doesn't look extremely low to me. Both sides are sitting pretty high in my opinion. I like both sides sitting lower than that and that's just my personal preference. Some people are fine with that bridge height and I've seen a lot of Epiphones with bridges that high. From what I can make out from the last photo the low E string seems to be parallel with the board, which again indicates to me that the neck angle is a bit steep, hence your low action and high bridge. It's really up to you with what you want to do with it. You can't change the neck angle on a LP, not without resetting the neck and that is not worth it on an Epiphone.
so you don’t think the nut being high on that side is due to a twisted neck or something? I mean, the string height is good generally speaking, and the bridge is high on the low E , but is that due to the thicker string?

DrBGood

Reaction score
... the bridge is high on the low E , but is that due to the thicker string?
Thick or thin, the underside of each string at nut or saddles are measured the same way.

Street Lethal

Reaction score
so you don’t think the nut being high on that side is due to a twisted neck or something? I mean, the string height is good generally speaking, and the bridge is high on the low E , but is that due to the thicker string?

No, I don't think so.

But, don't feel bad my friend. We all have our issues with guitars. I'm packing up my 50's Standard to ship back because..drum roll...the dual action truss rod is maxed out and I can't get any more relief out of it, and there isn't much relief as is. I'm chalking it up to a shit piece of wood for the neck. It may have had too much moisture in it when they stuck it on the guitar. But after three months of constantly adjusting it I'm done. The damn thing keeps wanting to continually back bow. It was fun while it lasted but the neck is unstable. I avoid LP's with truss rod issues like the plague, bye bye it goes.

But I digress.

Last edited:

horax

Reaction score
No, I don't think so.

But, don't feel bad my friend. We all have our issues with guitars. I'm packing up my 50's Standard to ship back because..drum roll...the dual action truss rod is maxed out and I can't get any more relief out of it, and there isn't much relief as is. I'm chalking it up to a shit piece of wood for the neck. It may have had too much moisture in it when they stuck it on the guitar. But after three months of constantly adjusting it I'm done. The damn thing keeps wanting to continually to back bow. It was fun while it lasted but the neck is unstable. I avoid LP's with truss rod issues like the plague, bye bye it goes.

But I digress.
Gibson or Epi? Just curious.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would get a luthier or tech to shave that nut down and cut slots the proper depth if you keep it. You may very well have tuning issues with slots that deep. As far as the bridge set up.....I would be bothered by that. I am NOT an expert but that could be evidence of a twist.

Latest Threads