Tommy Shaw can't get Gibson to build him a guitar

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Neal Schon pays for all his axes... even waits 2 years for his custom shop Charvels lol...has an ego as huge as any legendary guitarist... is a legendary guitarist... doesn't complain.

Just sayin...
Love Neal Schon, but can't stand even a second of Steve Perry. Journey was such a great Rock band before Perry led them down the POP path...

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason everyone expects after buying dozens of Les Pauls from Gibson that Gibson should give them one.

Even if it's a Firebird.

An exclusive "me" signature. Talent or no Talent..... Gibson gives them to NASCAR drivers who don't even play.

Mr. Shaw might have a point.

:rofl:

IMG_0038.jpg

Damn it.... I should get one.

TheX

Dirka Dirka
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love Neal Schon, but can't stand even a second of Steve Perry. Journey was such a great Rock band before Perry led them down the POP path...
Yep, 4 albums worth. Of a Lifetime is one of the best guitar songs ever, IMHO.

redking

Reaction score
That’s funny.... Les Paul has been dead how many years and has not been relevant for how many more?

Still making money for Gibson.
I would venture a guess most guitar players have no idea who Les Paul was and associate the Les Paul guitar with Slash more than anyone. NOBODY walks into a guitar store and says "hey - what's Tommy Shaw playing these days?"

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
That’s funny.... Les Paul has been dead how many years and has not been relevant for how many more?

Still making money for Gibson.
I have two of his albums...not the kind of playing most of like. But hey, they are collectible!

Peter M

Reaction score
I would venture a guess most guitar players have no idea who Les Paul was and associate the Les Paul guitar with Slash more than anyone.
It's the hat.

BTW - I love my Slash Paul.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Regarding what Shaw said, I think he is saying that there are some design tweaks he would like to make to a Firebird that he would like Gibson to make for him. And -- to be perfectly fair -- Styx is still a viable recording and arena-ish touring act, where everyone at these venues can see the name on his headstock. It is not like he is some kind of "also ran" from decades ago. So it is fair to say that Gibson should be paying (at least some) attention to him. Additionally, he is long known as a Gibson player, unlike JY who was mostly a Strat guy. To me, there is nothing out of line with what he seems to be saying, nothing diva-ish to me.

(Journey note: I am from the SF Bay Area and have met (separately) both Neal Schon and Steve Perry. It was Neal who was the class-one a$$hole, and Steve Perry who was the nice, friendly dude ... at least to me. Also, Steve Perry is a much better singer than Neal Schon is a guitarist. Schon is a talented guy, but wayyyyy over-rated IMO. Sorry, I could not just let that go ...)

Lungo

Reaction score
Gibson won’t make a guitar for someone that doesn’t know what to say when they call them “baby.”

Chango Malo

Reaction score
I can't tell if some of youns is serious or just funnin round.

No one knows who Tommy Shaw is these days. Absolutely nobody knows what brand or type of guitar he plays. And there ain't no one thinkin' to themselves "I just gotta get me one of them there geetars Tommy Shaw plays on Mr.Roboto and Lady". Tommy Shaw playing a Gibson onstage isn't going to sell any guitars down at the Guitar Center on Monday.

Some of yall is delusional. That or you're masters of deadpan comedy.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
No one knows who Tommy Shaw is these days.
That is definitely not true. They were HUGE in the late 1970s and 1980s. Styx still releases albums, they tour steadily, and their live audience is continually building. As stated before, they are currently an arena-ish act. Styx has their fans. They are also one of those bands always discussed in the "whether they will be going into the RRHoF" context.

Absolutely nobody knows what brand or type of guitar he plays ... Tommy Shaw playing a Gibson onstage isn't going to sell any guitars down at the Guitar Center on Monday.
Don't ever doubt the power of marketing. There is a reason why every logo you see in a movie or on TV has been paid for, or has been removed and/or blurred out (aka, nobody rides for free). Additionally, there are likely many post-age-40 musicians in that Styx audience who can afford that Monday trip to GC. That is some of Gibson's target audience, for sure.

... Some of yall is delusional ...
Well, that is highly probable ... me included.

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
Damn Yankees also sounded pretty good coming out of the radio in 1990.

One of the best albums of the 90s is their first. Excellent tones and playing.

Not to break the morphine train here,. But I have a sneaking suspicion that this thread is split around a specific age cutoff of 50 and up.
Not a Styx fan. But I had a shawbucker player series for a little while I wish I didn't sell. The shawbucker in it sucked. Hehe.
28 here... I know Styx is considered one of the cheesier ones, but don't give a damn. Great band with great songs.

It hurts me to see that this was once POP... imagine that, pop artists who can write a song themselves and play their instruments like pros... huh... crazy idea.

Latest Threads