Tommy Shaw can't get Gibson to build him a guitar

dro

Reaction score
Paradise Theater 1981 was one of my favorite albums, for a long time.
Never heard anything of what became known as Metal, that made me want to buy it.

redking

Reaction score
I watched this video a few days ago and would like to point out one thing that is obvious - he started his complaint about the lack of attention from Gibson by saying "me and a bunch of other people I know who have sold a lot of records...." - he has to realize that this doesn't move the needle anymore. Nobody sells records anymore, nobody is saying to themselves - "I wonder what kind of guitar Tommy Shaw plays?" This is comparable to paying a star athlete for what he used to be able to do when he was 28, compared to what he is able to do now at age 35 - sorry, you can't get it done anymore (as an effective marketing partner for a company).

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched this video a few days ago and would like to point out one thing that is obvious - he started his complaint about the lack of attention from Gibson by saying "me and a bunch of other people I know who have sold a lot of records...." - he has to realize that this doesn't move the needle anymore. Nobody sells records anymore, nobody is saying to themselves - "I wonder what kind of guitar Tommy Shaw plays?" This is comparable to paying a star athlete for what he used to be able to do when he was 28, compared to what he is able to do now at age 35 - sorry, you can't get it done anymore (as an effective marketing partner for a company).

That’s funny.... Les Paul has been dead how many years and has not been relevant for how many more?

Still making money for Gibson.

Peter M

Reaction score
nobody is saying to themselves - "I wonder what kind of guitar Tommy Shaw plays?"

I never wondered about that LOL. I respected Tommy as a successful musician back in the day... but I was a little too busy being fascinated by guys like Van Halen, May, Schenker, etc.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Yep.....Styx .....who's library of cool music exceeds most rock bands from any era......

In their day.... a great band.

Never a Fan and I was a teenager when they were at their peak. Saw them live once because my girlfriend like them. Decent show, but I never liked their music. Don't think they exceeded many bands of their era...

Last edited:

Peter M

Reaction score
Don't think exceeded many bands of their era...

As they were rock music critics' darlings in the late 70s, we were told over and over how magnificent they were. No disrespect, they were great... but perhaps a bit too hyped, in retrospect.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
it sounds like he's saying he wants Gibson to give him a Custom Shop Firebird, I might be misunderstanding, though. Because anybody with enough money can just buy one, so that wouldn't be it. Tommy Shaw has to be loaded.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Love em or hate em, you cant deny that these 2 songs kick some butt

And Tommy is still singing the Styx stuff in the original keys as far as I can tell

I guess it's a taste thing? Those are songs that keep me away from the band...not my thing I guess.

Latest Threads