Tom Petty's Flying V

EvLectric

Reaction score
http://gregkihn.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Tom_Petty_and_the_Heartbreakers_1977-1024x709.jpg

I don't know why the pic wont post...maybe someone can figure it out.
So, Tom's V, the one the logo's based on. Long headstock, bottom wing mounted input jack, weird rounded pickguard, pickups mounted real close together. ..neck pickup very far back fom the neck...
Does anyone know anything about it? Is it even a real Gibson? I just saw this famous pic on Greg Kihn's blog...I've always wondered about it. Any info?

EvLectric

Reaction score

Russ2

Reaction score
My apologies. There is some discussion on that build, albeit in Russian and some plans. I thought it may be of interest.

The_Nuge

Reaction score
I don't think that's a real Gibson.
At first glance it looks like a 1967-69 long headstock, but then you notice that the jack is more like on a 58 (but with 4 screws), the pickguard looks wrong, the 12th fret markers are very far "out" etc...

I think it 1970s cheap-ish Japanese!

Es

GERRYGTR62

Reaction score
yeah, not a Gibson, I knew that from the very beginning when the album first came out

EvLectric

Reaction score
Tom doesn't strike me as a "cheap Japanese piece of sh1t" kinda guy though. Cheap Italian yes, but not Japanese.
It almost has to be a glued neck with the front pickup that far back and the neck joining after the 22nd fret.
I kinda am a "cheap Japanese piece of sh1t" kinda guy and I've never seen anything like it.
I owned a Ibanez set neck back then (more 67ish)and had two close friends with Ibanez Rocket Roll Sr's, all of which were really nice guitars- but this ain't one of them unless highly modified.

I was wondering if since they were living in Hollywood if maybe Roman Rist or Max had maybe built it.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but I was kinda hoping for a little more "concrete" info.
But thanks!!! :)

EvLectric

Reaction score
My apologies. There is some discussion on that build, albeit in Russian and some plans. I thought it may be of interest.
It's of plenty of interest. ..in it's own thread! But I'm talking about a very specific guitar. Besides being V shaped and maybe being a copy they're just nothing to do with each other.
I apologize for coming off more gruff than I intended, but I hold to my point of it.
Point, get it? Flying V? Pointy? Puns? Ahh never mind. :D

I do like that V V!

straightblues

Reaction score
I saw Tom Petty on his first major gig in Los Angeles at Universal Studios It wasn't long after the initial Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers first album came out in 1976. They hadn't been in LA that long. His main guitar at the time was the Sunburst strat, but they did play the V for a song or two. Mike was playing just the Gold Top Les Paul and his Tele. So that guitar was made before 1976. I don't think they would have been buying custom guitars before that point because they wouldn't have had a lot of cash.

Here is a video of him playing it in 1978. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12_RbUfdpW0

EvLectric

Reaction score
I didn't see a bolt on neck plate in that video so custom, Japanese or not it rules out being a POS.
That and that he actually used it in concert.
Greco maybe?

Serial

Reaction score
I saw Tom Petty on his first major gig in Los Angeles at Universal Studios It wasn't long after the initial Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers first album came out in 1976. They hadn't been in LA that long. His main guitar at the time was the Sunburst strat, but they did play the V for a song or two. Mike was playing just the Gold Top Les Paul and his Tele. So that guitar was made before 1976. I don't think they would have been buying custom guitars before that point because they wouldn't have had a lot of cash.

Here is a video of him playing it in 1978. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12_RbUfdpW0
The V in this video clip is not the one from the still photo. The one in the video is a '60s V.

straightblues

Reaction score
The V in this video clip is not the one from the still photo. The one in the video is a '60s V.
Nice catch, you are right. Does anyone have any video or other pictures of the guitar in the photo?

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
It's also quite possible they showed up for a photo session without their own instruments and just grabbed whatever was in the studio etc.

Latest Threads