Golly what a coincidence

I hear it

Probably no malice - just ignorance

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I severely question the ears of people who don't hear how blatant this case is

Seriously. I was in band from age 10 to 18. My ears are damn good, I heard the similarity the first time I heard the kid's stupid ass song. There are a couple differences in arrangement, but the actual vocal melodies are almost identical. If I were Petty, I would've sued.

Tom Petty and his band are also crazy talented. I have the live anthology in my CD collection. It is worth keeping in my CD changer good.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
At work, I have to listen to fvcking country on the radio.

There is one song that is such obvious rip off of Green Day Boulevard of Broken dreams.
Now we all know the Em-G-D-A progression. But then this lame country version of the guitar melody came in.

Country is just ripping off rock and pop music. Pop music right now is ripping of the freaking '80s. One of the worst decades of pop music ever.

It's funny, anytime I throw on something poppy at work, it's either stuff like Metric and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs which is all still quite rock based, or it's straight up '80s alt/brit pop. I can't stand when the girls throw on Pink or Katy Perry or some shit. I usually wind up getting mad and putting on the Led Zeppelin station in protest. If it's late enough at night I'll go with the Misfits. New music is mostly shite, I can hardly stand the radio anymore. It wasn't even this bad three years ago. When I was still in high school, they were still playing pretty good stuff. Now the formats have all changed and no one wants to pay to hear anything with guitars and cool arrangement - they don't care.

Ed B

Reaction score
I heard it without listening to the comparison clip, but I had to really listen for it. I think it's BS. Clearly legal, but it seems dirty to me. Petty dropped a rung in my eyes.

TheX

Not my real pic.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key words in your statement are "the music I am familiar with" ....what about the thousands of songs you aren't familiar with?

oMgLoL...bringing logic into a conversation.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I can't stand Tom Petty. I used to like some of his stuff, but I'm not sure if I like any of it any more. If I never her "Free Ballin'" again, it'll be to soon.

"Stay with Me" plays on my daughters' stations all the time. There's something catchy and familiar about it. At normal speed, I'd never draw the conclusion that it is close to "I Won't sound like a monotonus lamo." However, when I listen to the manipulated version (I could only stand 30 seconds or so), I'd have to say that it seems awfully similar. In which case, I say "I Won't Back Down" (IMO) sucks. This kid actually made it better. TP deserves credit and cash.

As a business guy, who has been around the block once or twice, I can say, I don't believe in coincidences. There is no way these new kids on the block coughed up 12.5% of this tune just for sh*ts and giggles. They new they were busted and rolled. If I made a successful business and someone who had nothing to do with it showed up at my door, asking for 12.5% of my hard, honest earned money...I'd be reaching for my shotgun, not my checkbook.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yet another reason why I hate the out-of-control music industry and copyright laws.

Next time someone farts, I should sue them if it sounds like one of my farts.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
HD tried to copyright their bikes "potato, potato" sound.......:laugh2:

Rocknburn

Reaction score
Is law of attraction true? I was listening to tom petty then I saw this thread! This happened couple of times.

Latest Threads