Tom Holmes H450 Neck Pickup

Floyd Pink

Reaction score
Have anyone heard this one - how is it?

I have a H455 in the bridge position of my old Tokai. One of the best bridge pickups I have heard. It sounds very much like a PAF, but also sounds kinda warm for a bridge pickup. I like a bright and clear neck pickup, and the original Dimarzio PAF is very much that (it sounds great). Just wondering what to expect from the H450.

Btw, did anyone hear the Japanese version of the Tom Holmes'?

:hippie:

ARandall

Reaction score
I have a set of TH that I inherited in an old custom. They were nice in that guitar......but that one was a really crunchy individual.

They are in a scratch build V now. The neck I find satisfyingly hollow......which makes for a less full/muddy tone which I really like. The V is a different tone to a LP....so how that translates to other guitar constructions I couldn't predict.
The Homes are an 'older' PAF clone set, so could seem a bit less alive compared with some of the more recent ones where the general knowledge level has really improved generally. But I have been impressed with how these stack up.

Floyd Pink

Reaction score
I have a set of TH that I inherited in an old custom. They were nice in that guitar......but that one was a really crunchy individual.

They are in a scratch build V now. The neck I find satisfyingly hollow......which makes for a less full/muddy tone which I really like. The V is a different tone to a LP....so how that translates to other guitar constructions I couldn't predict.
The Homes are an 'older' PAF clone set, so could seem a bit less alive compared with some of the more recent ones where the general knowledge level has really improved generally. But I have been impressed with how these stack up.

Your description of them sounding satisfyingly hollow, and not muddy sounds promising. Would you say the neck has some of the same character as the bridge? I can imagine it sounding a bit compressed (in a good way).

vmjoe

Reaction score
Your description of them sounding satisfyingly hollow, and not muddy sounds promising. Would you say the neck has some of the same character as the bridge? I can imagine it sounding a bit compressed (in a good way).

Tom's pickups match up favorably with any I've tried and I've tried many. I would suggest (as with any humbucker) ordering them unpotted. Don't worry about them not being clear enough, bright enough or articulate enough. I've never found this to be an issue. His pickups may be a little more compressed than some of the lower output offerings out there, but not by a great deal. To my ear the slight compression is a good thing. The great thing is, if you're not crazy about it, you can sell them for more than you pay.

ARandall

Reaction score
Yep, slightly thicker in the mids area than something like the wiz, my handwound Zhangbuckers or even the Tysontone set I own.
But they're sitting in a V, which has a less low end sound anyhow. I aslo have the neck pickup without a tone knob, so that adds some much needed bite.

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
I love my TH. Great neck pup.

I also like to use a .015 cap. I had mine made with reverse neck magnet, but that doesn't matter until you put it out of phase. I also have 50s wiring, and the tones I can get out of it are very wide. I can get some killer Clavinet type sounds, and thick into Telecaster country.

Im mainly a Strat guy since 71, and decided a few years ago to get a nice LP copy made, and stick som e nice HBs in it. So I looked around a bit and saw the Holmes. At the time he had a quoted 2 years wait. I got mine in 20 months. But Tom was very sick, and wasn't winding a lot of pups. This also gave me time to save for a good platform, and all the parts I wanted to use, as I didn't have the cash to just go out and buy a nice LP. So the guys at Vintage Relic built me a really nice LP. And used my TH pups.

I also recommend Unpotted. Mine have 0 trouble with a cranked amp. Killer overtones.

The neck is as good as the Bridge, I would have to say. Also make sure all pots measure 500k ect. There is no set of pickups that would replace these short of original PAFs, and they would have a hard row to hoe. Not saying these are better than the best 59 PAFs but they aint that far off either.

We compared the TH with my buddies all original, 1 owner 62 Les Paul, and we all agreed, the TH gave up 0 to the original 62s.

Floyd Pink

Reaction score
Thanks you, guys. I have faith in these, and sounds like the neck should be worth a try!

bertrand4070

Reaction score
lot's of people seems to prefer unpotted ones. what is the advantage/inconvenient of a potted set ?

ARandall

Reaction score
Potting kills the liveliness that makes a great vintage humbucker what it is. But it stops squeal from high gain.

Its fair to say that high gain will negate all of the liveliness unpotted pickups get.

Latest Threads