Tokai Reborn construction ?

Matty

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been searching for info on the reborns and I think I understand the differences between the models, 3 piece tops, 2 piece backs, pickups, finish etc. What I can't seem to find is info on construction differences and timber quality (not aesthetic) between the LS50/60 and the higher end LS80 and above.
I guess what I'm really asking is if there is any difference in playability and feel between the models?
If construction and playability are unchanged, does the nitro finish on the higher models make any difference to feel or tone? I ask this as I've never played a nitro finished guitar.
Thanks guys, Mont.

villager

Reaction score
LS-80 is the first model with a 1 piece back, and an correct angle on the headstock, also its the first nitro model, those are the main differences between the 50/60 and the 80

Matty

Reaction score
Thanks for replying villager, I understand the differences specs wise, but was the same quality wood used, and the same craftsmanship? Will an LS50 be just as good to play as an 80, sorry for all of the questions but I want to purchase a guitar to play every day, not to collect, it will be my only guitar and I'm not concerned with how many pieces make the back or top, only with how good it will play.

g_mane

Reaction score
Hi matmont I had a LS-50 LP Reborn for a few years, I was quite happy with it as a player and it was very well made. Be concerned more about how the individual instrument fits your style; the quality is there.

Kemper59

Reaction score
my only guitar and I'm not concerned with how many pieces make the back or top, only with how good it will play.

It's very hard to find a guitar that plays & feels better than a current Tokai, why do you need a "reborn" if you're not looking to "collect"?

The difference in tone between a Nitro and a Poly Tokai both plugged into an amp is most probably zero.
You looking for play and feel, any current Tokai with a good setup will do...choose your colour.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
The 78 LS50 Reborn I sold had a 17.5* headstock, which was odd

villager

Reaction score
Thanks for replying villager, I understand the differences specs wise, but was the same quality wood used, and the same craftsmanship? Will an LS50 be just as good to play as an 80, sorry for all of the questions but I want to purchase a guitar to play every day, not to collect, it will be my only guitar and I'm not concerned with how many pieces make the back or top, only with how good it will play.

same wood, probably yes, just more pieces, same craftsmanship yes, next question is impossible to answer, it depends on you and the guitar,

jacco

Reaction score
Heh heh no one seems keen on answering that question.
Yes, same craftmanship and probably same wood. But my experience is that on average you have more chance to find the one with real mojo amongst the higher end models than amongst the lower end models. For some reason I keep ending up liking most of the higher models better and that's not because I think it should be a better guitar because it was more expensive but because it really is a better guitar, mojo wise.

luis

Reaction score
I have tried a LS-50(1981) , a BURNY FLG-60 (1978) and LS-80(1979).Altough each guitar is different, it seemed to me LS-50(3pieces back) lacked some bass.LS-80 was the best sounding of the three no doubt to us. If I had to choose and money was not an issue I will get LS-80 as I did.

Matty

Reaction score
Great info, cheers guys. I realize it's impossible to judge "feel" or "mojo" without first playing an instrument, and that makes it hard when buying the rarer, older models, but also makes it more fun :)
I've owned an old Ibanez Artist years ago, and more recently an '07 Love Rock and currently an 80's Burny Custom, all great guitars but I just want to get myself a keeper, one to bond with and share lots of good times. I'm willing to spend around 2k au to get the best LP I can.
With that in mind my research has led me to the Reborns, although I'm sure there are other equally great LP's out there, the Reborns are the ones most people seem to lavish the most praise on, but please feel free to steer me in a different direction (learning about these great guitars is just plain fun).
Again, thanks to all that have taken the time to relpy to my many questions and ramblings, the learning continues!

reborn old

Reaction score
It's worth noting LS-50 and LS-60 were equipped with creme Gotoh MkII pickups while the LS-80 was equipped with zebra 57 PAF pickups.
LS-100 to LS-150's were equipped with Dimarzio PAF's. PAF pickups are probably the main reason for perceived "mojo" or fuller sound in higher Tokai models... all else being equal.

jacco

Reaction score
No no no, mojo is an acoustical thing to me.
You're talking about post 1981 Tokais when qouting the pup type on the lower end models btw.

reborn old

Reaction score
Hard to communicate with this guy without getting into a heated argument, but in the interest of getting facts correct, here goes... :D

You're talking about post 1981 Tokais when qouting the pup type on the lower end models btw.
I was going by the 1978-1982 pickup chart posted below and the fact I have never seen original '57 PAF zebra pups with black '57 PAF stickers on an LS-50 or LS-60 until late 1983 (when they became standard on all LS-50 to LS-80 models).

So what pups were stock on 1978-1979 reborns Jacco ?
I have seen a few equipped with creme Dimarzio pickups, but couldn't confirm they were original.

Attachments

• __1978-1982 Tokai model specs.jpg
    __1978-1982 Tokai model specs.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 145

Latest Threads