Tokai ls420

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This end grain screams Honduran mahogany, never seen this wavey grain in a guitar body before. But what a beauty.

I’m seriously thinking of buying it.

64F100

Reaction score
I agree.I really like hot grains and those are some hot, hot grains.

BDW60

Reaction score
The top doesn’t wow me just because tight, even stripe isn’t my thing. But that mahogany is gorgeous and the board is dang near in the “none more black” category. 9.25 pounds would be a deal breaker for me but I know many think that zone is perfect.

moreles

Reaction score
When there was way more good mahogany and makers were more selective, straught-grained wood was the preference -- pieces like this would have been rejected -- because they are mmore stable and consistent, and unlikely to twist over time. This is true for BRW as well. But with decent modern processing, the stability fear (which, for LP bodies, was never really warranted -- they never warp!) has gone away and we see wild BRW stumpwood on boutique guitars, and strangely cut, wild grain like yours on backs and bodies. You won't see wood like that on a neck, though.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
For that price, it best come with an Asian maid who will love me LONG time! It's pricey.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its the cheapest of that version I have found so far. There is another one in the U.K. 2 numbers away in serial number, for £200 more, finish looks to be a trans amber so not as appealing but the body grain is straight as an arrow. Yeah, the weight on this is on a par with my recently sold R6, so manageable. There are open to offers so once lock downs lifted might take a trip to Bilbao. There is a ferry from Portsmouth foot traffic not allowed at mo.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, considering the specs I think the price is quite reasonable.

currypowder

Reaction score
My experience with "modern" (post-2000) upper end Tokais has been universally fantastic. From 2 2002-2003 LS-320s to a 2009 Pacifix ES to a 2015 Rockin' Reborn Old, they stand heads and shoulders above pretty much every single cut I've owned. Call me a be Fanboy, but I find myself gravitating towards the more recent models vs vintage.

Personally, I don't think the OP Tokai is over priced for what it is, a brand new single cut built with incredible care using the best materials available. The only knock would be the pickups. While I like Seth Lovers ok, a pair of better pickups would probably open it up a ton.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of unpotted customerbuckers i could drop in.

jcsk8

Reaction score
I have a set of unpotted customerbuckers i could drop in.
It cames with Seth Lovers, wich are unpotted too.
And brazilian rosewood (Jacaranda) fretboard.

Latest Threads