Tokai LS100 - Veneer or Solid?

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
What do you guys think? Solid or veneer?

Working on getting more pics.

1649071727415.png

1649071684141.png

1649071954611.png

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
I'm on the fence to some degree. I've been wanting a flamey high-end MIJ - preferably with a solid top.

Thinking I may opt for a honey burst LS 80 I've got eyes on instead. Not really worth the upcharge, but I'll see if I can follow up with some clearer pics. Thanks for all the feedback thus far - kind of disappointing but not surprising.

EDIT - I mean disappointing since I've been on the hunt for solid tops - I don't really think a veneer makes a guitar lesser in any way sonically speaking. Not sure if that topic is still raging lol.

Last edited:

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
81 Ls100 were specced not to have veneer but Tokai isnt exactly known to have its catalog specs set in stone. I've seen a range of Ls100 from that time frame and some have had some nice figure and some were plain tops. I have a solid top from that year that was catalog spec'd as veneer. Very confusing.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'd like to see some pics of the short sides of the cavities. I feel like I see the veneer and yet in 2 places it seems like the seams match and in one pic I feel like I can follow the grain lines from the top into the cavity. So I'm on the fence at this time.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
81 Ls100 were specced not to have veneer but Tokai isnt exactly known to have its catalog specs set in stone. I've seen a range of Ls100 from that time frame and some have had some nice figure and some were plain tops. I have a solid top from that year that was catalog spec'd as veneer. Very confusing.

Agreed re: frustration, but it is kind of part of the fun! Appreciate your feedback. Seller said he will try to get some more photos. He said he expected a veneer but that he thinks it's solid.

I'd like to see some pics of the short sides of the cavities. I feel like I see the veneer and yet in 2 places it seems like the seams match and in one pic I feel like I can follow the grain lines from the top into the cavity. So I'm on the fence at this time.

Thanks Roxy. I will see if I can get some pics out of the owner. It has a pretty nice flame top - my first, besides my grill top Greco SR/MC EG59-850.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have a Burny that has very light flame and I've never been sure if it's a solid top or veneer and I've inspected it in person at least 3 times. Some are hard to tell.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Do you have any pics of the whole guitar ? Or at least the top ? I'd like to see the top before we get to see some pictures that can show better proof.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Here's the only decent shot of the top. :

1649084183614.png

Kind of a close up - I can kind of make out a lip of a veneer maybe? But there also some areas that look solid. My eyes suck though and I'm trying to be objective since a solid top would make me happiest:

1649084459855.png

edwardn222

Reaction score
It does look rather veneer like. Could be an ls120 that an employee improperly stickered as I believe those had a veneer and the Dimarzio pups, beautiful guitar regardless. At the end of the day, I’d choose the specs that’d make me sleep best at night. If solid top is your thing, go with the ls80. From my experience, it’s not worth making a purchase you’re on the fence about!

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
It does look rather veneer like. Could be an ls120 that an employee improperly stickered as I believe those had a veneer and the Dimarzio pups, beautiful guitar regardless. At the end of the day, I’d choose the specs that’d make me sleep best at night. If solid top is your thing, go with the ls80. From my experience, it’s not worth making a purchase you’re on the fence about!

Very well could be. Decisions, decisions...

Anyone have an idea on what an LS100 in really good shape with original case and sticker would go for? I know it's subjective - I just want opinions. Feel free to PM me if doing so publicly is a faux pas.

Mosster47

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest Threads