Tokai Love Rock Mystery

JadedBat

Reaction score
Hello Forum! I've posted a similar thread to the Tokai forum but can't get any responses from anyone so I thought I'd try here since there may be more LP fanatics here :)

I picked up this "Tokai" Love Rock and I can't find any information on it. By the serial number (F0601116) and research it appears to be 2006 Chinese made. The model does not appear in any Tokai catalogs that I've found.. and actually 'feels' like it's older than 2006.

The rounded headstock and rounded off horn makes this guitar unique.

I must say it plays wonderfully and the craftsmanship is really good. I'd rank it in between a higher end Epi LP and a lower end Gibson. I absolutely love the guitar and have upgraded the pups to Burstbuckers 1/2 and aim to upgrade wiring soon as well. (small 500k caps)

Here is what I'd love to learn:

1. Is this a real Tokai?
2. What kind of wood is the body? It doesn't look like Mahogany.
3. If it is a fake why not truly fake the headstock shape or body shape?

Extra Info:
Here is one I found just like it

I will dump a bunch of pix.. anyone have any thoughts? Thanks ;)

Here is a pic of another similar headstock on a 335:

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
Odd. That body almost looks like an Agile.

I wonder if these are the notorious fake Tokais that were for sale in Canada a few years ago?

Jim_E

Reaction score
Odd. That body almost looks like an Agile.

I wonder if these are the notorious fake Tokais that were for sale in Canada a few years ago?
Having been in the store of the guys who sold the Fakai's many times back then I can tell you I never saw one with that headstock and without "Make In Korea" printed on the back of the headstock.

I have no idea where that guitar came from but I'm pretty sure that body is Alder...

Leroy

Reaction score
Any chance of a photo from inside the control cavity?

Leroy

SingeMonkey

Reaction score
I'm sure we've seen these before? An MIC Tokai made to sell in markets where Gibson is super-litigious? Apart from the shape, everything looks right for an MIC Tokai.

JadedBat

Reaction score
Any chance of a photo from inside the control cavity?

Leroy
Thanks for the help folks! Here is a shot of the control cavity. I've upgraded the pots and caps but have also included a shot of the original pots that I replaced.

What ya think?

Latest Threads