Tokai identification help.

Tone choke

Reaction score
First time posting.
Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere to put in my serial number and get the model designation?
It's a 2011 with a nice flame top and made in Japan.
I've taken out the pickups but no model number. There is however C193 hand written in the neck cavity. I have decent knowledge of Tokais but I'm lost.
For some reason it won't load any other pics due to being too big.
Please help if you can.
Thanks in advance v

Attachments

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
No idea sorry - but it looks like it has had the pickups changed? Any overall pics?

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
LS95F from the electronics and the thin veneer i'd say. Got any glamour shots of the whole guitar ??

Tone choke

Reaction score
LS95F from the electronics and the thin veneer i'd say. Got any glamour shots of the whole guitar ??
You would think if they were going to put a vaneer on they would make it a bit more fancy than mine. Lol
That would make more sense if I could get this shot to post.

Tone choke

Reaction score
I'm having trouble telling if the back is one or two pieces also.
It's a great playing guitar at any rate but it's driving me nuts not knowing.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I can't really tell from the photo's if you can't tell in real life...but my vote is 1?

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
It looks like in the nice big cavity pic that there is no middle join line to me. Usually you can follow the top centre line from the maple top down into the cavity. Since i don't see one, the grain lines are fairly pronounced i would guess the veneer to be hiding a 3 piece top. Only the higher end Tokais got solid flame tops usually. Most Tokai flametops are veneer, but they are really thin, and they are not always super flashy. What did the tenon look like ??

kakerlak

Reaction score
I agree, probably one piece back, three piece top, judging by lack of a visible center seam. If it's three piece, you might be able to get a glimpse of the seam in the cutaway.

Tone choke

Reaction score
It looks like in the nice big cavity pic that there is no middle join line to me. Usually you can follow the top centre line from the maple top down into the cavity. Since i don't see one, the grain lines are fairly pronounced i would guess the veneer to be hiding a 3 piece top. Only the higher end Tokais got solid flame tops usually. Most Tokai flametops are veneer, but they are really thin, and they are not always super flashy. What did the tenon look like ??
It's a medium tennon. To the best of my knowledge tokai japan guitars didn't have 3 pc backs or back veneers.
Even the lowest models. Could be,wrong though. I'll have to study up on that.
Thank you for the input. Much appreciated.

Tone choke

Reaction score
It's a medium tennon. To the best of my knowledge tokai japan guitars didn't have 3 pc backs or back veneers.
Sorry brokentoeswalker. I thought you were talking about the back. Lol
Yeah. The top always confused me too. No seam.
It would be strange to have a1 pc back and a 3c top though
Sorry brokentoeswalker I thought you were talking about the back. Lol
The top always confused me too with no seam.
If the back is one pc as I'm pretty sure it is it would be strange to have a 3 pc top wouldn't it?
Is there a way I can tell?

Tone choke

Reaction score
I agree, probably one piece back, three piece top, judging by lack of a visible center seam. If it's three piece, you might be able to get a glimpse of the seam in the cutaway.
I havnt been able to see one.
Judging from what you can see. Any idea on the model???
Thanks for the reply.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Its sometimes difficult to see the seams on mahogany. Tokai it seems go out of their way to make them as invisible as possible. Even though it would be rare to have a one piece back on a LS95F it certainly is possible you got a lucky one piece back. If could also be a LS140F if it has the medium tenon and nitro. The chances of getting a one piece back on a LS140F would probably be higher.

Tone choke

Reaction score
I absolutely can't find a seam. Sometimes I think I see one but it turns out to be wood grain it's driving me nuts. Lol
I wish I knew how to tell if it was polly or nitro. If feels great whatever it is.
It feels closer to my Gibson than my greco or burny but that could be wishful thinking.
The tennon goes into the cavity a bit but it's not long.
I wonder if I could contact Tokai with the serial number.
I love this forum. You guys are awesome.
Thanks brokentoeswalker.

Latest Threads