Tokai Fake?

soliloquy

Reaction score
tokais are banned from north ameras. at least, they cant be sold in stores. so ebay is your best bet.

tnvnl

Reaction score
most non-custom shop Gibsons don't offer the specs you find in mid-range MIJ LP's. [/IMG]

What "specs" do you refer to?

People keep referring to the subpar quality of Gibsons, What qualities are they?

VB.

Reaction score

People keep referring to the subpar quality of Gibsons, What qualities are they?

The two most important ones, playability and sound. Dont get me wrong, Gibson produces fine instruments, but Standards cost so much money and
yet on two occasions in the past year I have tried brand new instruments (in stores) that left a lot to be desired.

The Custom shop and vintage guitars are a whole different matter, so if you have the money by all means go for it....

tnvnl

Reaction score
The two most important ones, playability and sound. Dont get me wrong, Gibson produces fine instruments, but Standards cost so much money and
yet on two occasions in the past year I have tried brand new instruments (in stores) that left a lot to be desired.

The Custom shop and vintage guitars are a whole different matter, so if you have the money by all means go for it....

I have never bought any guitar that I didnt set up to suit me, so playability is not a factor, to me, sound is subjective, maybe the ones you played had old strings, or a brand you didnt like, or you played on an unfamiliar amp, coulda been anything.

I have played some terrible off the wall guitars, that only needed a set up, and dont give me the "Gibson should set it up better" They dont know how I want it. All they gotta do is send it from the factory so it doesnt buzz out readily when played, and that as far as they need to take it in my opinion.
I lot of "hard" players like a high action, I play easily and let my amp do the work, so I like my action really low, lower than most could play without buzzing.

Playability off the wall is not a good factor to compare guitars with.
Again, sound is subjective, what pickups I like you may not, Gibson cant know that ahead of time and make everyone happy, so again, not a good comparison factor.

Disclaimer; all the above is only my opinion, the opinion of others may vary.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I think what SkyNet means are things like solid body and long neck tenon.

Gibson USA only offers long tenon/chambered or short tenon/weight relieved.
If you're looking for long tenon/solid body your options are either the Gibson Custom Shop or MIJ Les Paul copies. :)

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;1422601 said:
I think what SkyNet means are things like solid body and long neck tenon.

Gibson USA only offers long tenon/chambered or short tenon/weight relieved.
If you're looking for long tenon/solid body your options are either the Gibson Custom Shop or MIJ Les Paul copies. :)

Yes, that's what i meant.

tnvnl

Reaction score
Has there been problems with the short neck tenon, do they break regularly?
Would anyone know the difference it they didnt "know"?

jon1

Reaction score
A long tenon is supposed to give your more sustain and neck stability. My orville has it, but to be honest i dont know how much of a difference it makes because i havent played it side by side with a gibson yet.

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
Has there been problems with the short neck tenon, do they break regularly?
Would anyone know the difference it they didnt "know"?

What kind of argument is that? lol

Go preach that to the Vintage section, explain to them how they're all idiots by wanting long tenons on their historics.

People want what they want, people appreciate long tenons and lacquer finish, nothing you can do about it.

tnvnl

Reaction score
What kind of argument is that? lol

Go preach that to the Vintage section, explain to them how they're all idiots by wanting long tenons on their historics.

People want what they want, people appreciate long tenons and lacquer finish, nothing you can do about it.

In the first place I wasnt arguing, I merely posed a question, I never said they were idiots for wanting that, please dont put words in my mouth.

And you didnt answer any of the questions that I asked, why not try that for a change.

I bet the "Vintage" guys, couldnt tell the difference if they didnt know, of course they are gonna say they can, but they have to defend their ideas and ideals.

VB.

Reaction score
The two Gibsons that Ive mentioned earlier had both been setup beforehand and tried through quality amps. One was a Gibson Traditional, the other a 2008 Standard. They played and sounded "okay", but when I play an instrument in that price range I want them to sound better than OKAY. I know that sound can be a subjective thing, but I pride myself in hearing (and feeling under my fingers) the difference between a good instrument, and an instrument that inspires.

P.S. The very best Les Paul Ive had the pleasure of hearing (other than a certain colleague's Gibson Custom) was a 1974 pre-lawsuit Ibanez. A guitar with a bolt on neck, super70 pups and a chamber between the sandwitch mahogany and veneer maple top. On paper that guitar should have sounded like shit, and yet it....didnt. It inspired!

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
In the first place I wasnt arguing, I merely posed a question, I never said they were idiots for wanting that, please dont put words in my mouth.

And you didnt answer any of the questions that I asked, why not try that for a change.

I bet the "Vintage" guys, couldnt tell the difference if they didnt know, of course they are gonna say they can, but they have to defend their ideas and ideals.

I can't answer why people want what they want in their guitars. I wanted the long tenon and lacquer finish because it was closer to what the original Gibsons are supposed to be like. I don't have the possibility to try a lot of guitars (small country) and i can't buy guitars every time i feel like it, so once i do, i have to buy the best i can with the budget i have. So, i'll probably never find out if i can tell the difference between a long and short tenon guitar.
And no, i've never heard of a Tokay breaking at the tenon joint. I think i've only seen Gibson SG's do that. Not that a Gibson problem, though it might be because of some really poor neck joints i've seen in photos, but the SG is quite thin, so it should be more prone to those kind of problems.

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
Skynet, I like your guitar very much!

Heres my Lemon drop quilt top when I first opened the case. I'd love plain top just like yours too.... And an ebony... and a Violin finish!!!! <3 <3

P1020310.jpg

Wow thats classy

Latest Threads