Tokai facts, theory, photos & ID thread

MCT

Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted this under the MIJ Deals thread, figured this may be a more appropriate home.

I stumbled across this listing on YJ, which looks lovely and I'm considering picking it up, but I've never heard of the LS-2PX model before. Has anyone else heard of it?

jim777

Reaction score
Are there places online from which you could purchase a new LS from the States? I have a daughter in Yokozuka but she knows nothing about guitars.
EDIT: Ok, is there a reliable place in Tokyo, from which to purchase a nice Tokai, like an LS-390? Is anyone in Tokyo that's aware of something maybe used and special in that ballpark? Would you mind PM'ing me if so? My daughter is game to go shopping :)

Last edited:

jim777

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Tokai that says "Neo-Select" on the headstock instead of "Love Rock", an LS-1959 model. the description says "Neo's proud Neoselect The ultimate guitar of the world's highest peak". Anyone familiar with these? Price wise it's about the same ( a little less) than a new LS-390.

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, I suggest that you send a pm to Wulfman or Roxy may have some insight. The thread is getting slower by the day.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Jim, I suggest that you send a pm to Wulfman or Roxy may have some insight. The thread is getting slower by the day.
Not me :rofl: Wulfman, yes! Perhaps also others who have high end guitars such as Cliff, Villager or JDZ.

At this time the only Tokai I have/had is the one I bought as a husk and then finished myself. It seems to be an LC 136WR so not high end, but I like it :)

sFLsniper

Reaction score
thanks. I forgot that tid bit. it's 2:40 am here and I'm seeling cross-eyed :)

currypowder

Reaction score
I can't really tell what the serial number is, but it looks like it starts with 08. I'm not sure what the model number was in 08, but I would think it would be comparable to an LS132S today:

For $700, it would be a no brainer assuming there are no breaks, IMO.

leftie1975

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a left handed player and looking for a Japanese love rock with gold top finish. I have found an LS-139-LGT for sale but can't find any info on this model. it's going for £1256 but it's in France so the import will cost an extra £400. Given the extra cost, would I be better off getting a Gibson 50's standard? Any information on this model would be appreciated and any advice on the quality of this model compared to the Gibson 50's would also be appreciated.

Many thanks

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
Nice to see so much Tokai love.

Since gazing at a Jimmy Page photo I had as a 10 tear old Meat Loaf and Beethoven fan, I always wanted a Gibson but could never justify or afford one. About 10 years ago I bought my first Les Paul, a brand new Edwards E-LP 92, a fantastic instrument.

About 5 years I broke it by accident and with the insurance payout I bought what was advertised as a 2003 Love Rock 135 Q, stock, nippled and with hideous chips and scratches to the side and back (the front looks great, see avatar and pics), for £530 including an SKB hardcase.

It may not look it, but it has 1 piece body. I felt there was room for improvement with the stock MKs so I threw in the Edwards’s SD 59 and JB and sent it for a set up by a famous guy in Putney (London) … the guitar breathed fire. It now has an Iron Gear Blues Engine neck and a UK made Axesrus Purist humbucker in the bridge (11K, A4 mag, my brief was “Kossof to DiMartini and everything in between please”, an amazing pickup) and sounds even better.

As my work situation improved, I had to get me a real Gibson Les Paul, and then another, and another (see signature)…. Oh, and I bought another Edwards cos it was crazy cheap (£470 including hardcase). With my dead Edwards and my Tokai as the aural benchmarks, I have spent the last few years trying to get my Gibsons to measure up to the Tokai. This means trying out tons of pickup combos, installing TUSQ nuts and expensive electronics on 2 of the Gibbys (the Standard and the Mastodon Sig), lots of mag swapping and endless fussing with pickup and pole piece heights (unnecessary with the Tokai), and never being 110% happy.

I HATE that no matter what I do, the Tokai still sounds and plays better than my rather brilliant sounding and gorgeous looking Gibsons. Yes, the gap is closing to the extent where it could be a matter of opinion, and I prefer to play my Gibsons anyway because I NEED the G on the headstock, but WHY oh WHY must my “bestest” guitar not be a Gibson!

According to folks at the Tokai Register site, the 1 piece back suggests it’s an LS 150, and the quilted top adds the “Q” in the name. But why LS L35Q then?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=179387&sid=090fac63c5729be3d9c64aba0649d31d

What do you guys think?

Thanks for reading!

Tokai 1.jpg
Tokai 2.jpg
Tokai 5.jpg
Tokai 6.JPG

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure i can see a 2 piece back from the picture of the back. Of course yours could still be a special order with a one piece back. Tokai's model numbering system is whacky. Very hard to be 100% with your pics

zeneffect

Reaction score
From the sounds of it, I think the expectation of one guitar sounding as good as another is a bit of a mental trap. Each has their own character and voice and you can have a preference of what you like but unless you are holding that exact guitar you are trying to emulate you will never get 100% there just because its not the same exact guitar. Environment, genetics, solar activity, volcanic activity, human activity, latitude, longitude, elevation, rainfall, etc etc etc etc and thats before they cut down the tree. the variables are nearly innumerable from the beginning to end lifecycle of a guitar, thus is life.

Accept your guitars for what they are and make the most of them, they say the tone is in your hands anyways.

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure i can see a 2 piece back from the picture of the back. Of course yours could still be a special order with a one piece back. Tokai's model numbering system is whacky. Very hard to be 100% with your pics
Thanks. I struggle with uploading pics on MLP... the only way I know how to do it is by emailing myself the pics and then I get an error message saying “File Too Big” so I have to choose “Small Picture format” on my old iPhone, which doesn’t allow much detail. I’ll try again, just the one pic to not kill the server.... plus we’re having another rotten summer of thick grey clouds in August.... there is an off center line to the right that looks like a seam but is a mineral streak.... one can usually spot seams by looking at the bottom edge of the guitar where the bridge side strap button is, but I need a ton of light for the pic to be of any use....
33257BD7-23DE-418A-83E8-F888580AA9C0.jpeg

Latest Threads