Tokai ES-224

redking

Reaction score
Has anyone played these newer Tokai ES models or had any experiences ordering from Japanese Reverb stores? I'm very interested in this beauty.

currypowder

Reaction score
My experience with the newer Tokai ES models (of differing price points) is that the neck is pretty narrow at the nut (41 mm). Beyond that, they were fantastic, I just couldn't deal with a neck that narrow.

I've ordered directly from Kurosawa before with no issue. You could probably save a few bucks ordering directly from them:

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Your shipping options to Canada may be limited. Japan post anything parcel to Canada is still down. Fedex is your best bet. Expensive, but at least it will get here pretty quick. You'll be on the hook for some tax depending on what province you are out of etc..The little "handling fee's" are minor compared to the other couriers.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Probably most people in this area of the forum have bought from a store at some point. I've had all good experiences when I have. The guitars arrived clean, set up well and with nothing that needed my immediate attention. I've bought from Ishibashi, TC Gakki, Guitar Planet and Kurosawa.

redking

Reaction score
My experience with the newer Tokai ES models (of differing price points) is that the neck is pretty narrow at the nut (41 mm). Beyond that, they were fantastic, I just couldn't deal with a neck that narrow.

I've ordered directly from Kurosawa before with no issue. You could probably save a few bucks ordering directly from them:

Interesting that they went with the narrower nut width than the Love Rock model at 43 mm. I wonder if they were emulating the later 60's model?

bbaug14

Reaction score
Bought from Ishibashi a few weeks ago. Smooth transaction with zero issues. Tokai ES210. Love this thing. Easily better than the Gibson Custom Shop I had. I prefer it even to the Collings I had for the 335 thing. Zero complaints (other than needing new pickups, but I knew that going in).

1764E02F-8B1A-4716-A133-A694A0B9C1A5.jpeg

redking

Reaction score

I just checked the specs on my daughter's Fender Mustang and it's 42 mm wide at the nut and I have a tough time playing first position chords on her guitar, so I don't think I could get along with a 41 mm nut. It didn't even occur to me to check the nut width - thanks for pointing that out!

currypowder

Reaction score
I just checked the specs on my daughter's Fender Mustang and it's 42 mm wide at the nut and I have a tough time playing first position chords on her guitar, so I don't think I could get along with a 41 mm nut. It didn't even occur to me to check the nut width - thanks for pointing that out!

Yeah, all the new Tokais I've seen listed have that narrow nut. I'm not sure if they are making any models now with a wider neck. Older models can have a more normal neck size.

Deviser made semi hollows tend to have fairly fat necks.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Yeah, all the new Tokais I've seen listed have that narrow nut. I'm not sure if they are making any models now with a wider neck. Older models can have a more normal neck size.

Deviser made semi hollows tend to have fairly fat necks.

I have a 1980 ES100 sitting in a warehouse still. I like the newer unbound neck higher end Tokais that I have seen a few times but I didn't realize they were narrow necks.

Deviser seem hard to come by these days. The Seventy Sevens are now made in China and don't have rosewood boards but they are still trying to charge close to the same price for them. Whoever made that decision is a dickhead.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I have a 1980 ES100 sitting in a warehouse still. I like the newer unbound neck higher end Tokais that I have seen a few times but I didn't realize they were narrow necks.

Deviser seem hard to come by these days. The Seventy Sevens are now made in China and don't have rosewood boards but they are still trying to charge close to the same price for them. Whoever made that decision is a dickhead.

You sure it's China ? I wondered where they were made before they got "Tuned Up"

currypowder

Reaction score
I like the newer unbound neck higher end Tokais that I have seen a few times but I didn't realize they were narrow necks.

I had a blonde Tokai ES with the unbound neck and absolutely loved the way it looked and felt. But the narrow neck wasn't for me. Too bad, though, that one would have been a definite keeper.

I'm not really interested in the Seventy Seven Japan Tune Up series, though they are probably decent guitars. I'm not sure if Deviser has moved all Seventy Seven production out of Japan. There are still a few higher end MIJ models showing up on their site, but they all seem to be 2019 models.

I did pick up a used MIJ Exrubato a few months back that just kills. It's a little on the fancy side with all of the multi layer binding on the body and neck, but plays and sounds unreal with a nice fat neck.

y4mSCuUQiZwEGTNLQUIaE7Ra9s9rpw2LrrhjYvg4b1vmpRfeY9orR-rR6g0gi0FMvjuYw25yrZc1OQCnAqKM3Y1sgFiyF-cNN_UquIDVHS_wFzXz_Jji9wqJ7RTR6w2fLkwP5DOD_88yAWZGBURO2uYI4XDtvdeiGiT1iMeVVA1YepvVBSR8Vq9gTKsvvz_yOzx

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, my MIJ Exrubato Custom is everything I had hoped for.

I did get a chance to see an older Tokai 335 that belonged to zombywoof and is now with a different member and that one had a fatter and wider neck. It felt wonderful in the hands and to play. I admit, I really liked that guitar.

currypowder

Reaction score

I did get a chance to see an older Tokai 335 that belonged to zombywoof and is now with a different member and that one had a fatter and wider neck. It felt wonderful in the hands and to play. I admit, I really liked that guitar.

Yes, the neck on my '81 ES-150 is much more to my liking. In fact, if anyone is interested, it's listed in the MIJ Classified here. It does have a nicely repaired headstock break, but is a fantastic guitar.

luis

Reaction score
I just rceall a small run of 6 from a japanese dealer with a fatter neck than regular in 2008/10 period if memory seves well but regular models are that narrow at the nut usually.

alainguitars

Reaction score
Narrow nut is no issue for me. Anyone selling one can contact me. Looking at new ones at Kurosawa lately.

jim777

Reaction score

The "JT" series guitars, the 'Japan Tune-UP' guitars, are made in the Philippines and finished in Japan, not China. There are other series of Seventy Sevens doing the same, I believe the Albatross Philippines made guitars are 'JE' series.

Does anyone know offhand how wide the nut is on the older Japanese Exrubatos?

Roxy13

Reaction score
The "JT" series guitars, the 'Japan Tune-UP' guitars, are made in the Philippines and finished in Japan, not China. There are other series of Seventy Sevens doing the same, I believe the Albatross Philippines made guitars are 'JE' series.

Does anyone know offhand how wide the nut is on the older Japanese Exrubatos?

Right about 43mm.

Fenderbendr

Reaction score

I’m the owner of this guitar now and it is really nice. It’s a 2005 ES155, and the neck is a great shape and the nut width isn’t too bad. I measure the nut width at 1.64(41.6MM) with my calipers, which is slightly narrower than a traditional Gibson. Fenders are typically 1.65, and the narrow nut widths on the late 60’s-70’s Gibsons were 1.57 or so.

While I’d prefer the traditional 1.69 width, the Tokai doesn’t feel too out of place you play it for a while.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I’m the owner of this guitar now and it is really nice. It’s a 2005 ES155, and the neck is a great shape and the nut width isn’t too bad. I measure the nut width at 1.64(41.6MM) with my calipers, which is slightly narrower than a traditional Gibson. Fenders are typically 1.65, and the narrow nut widths on the late 60’s-70’s Gibsons were 1.57 or so.

While I’d prefer the traditional 1.69 width, the Tokai doesn’t feel too out of place you play it for a while.

Aside from the feel of the neck it just had a really nice balance and was played in perfectly too.

I still don't have a typical 335 type. Maybe in the future that will change and I'll keep this model on my list :)

Latest Threads