Tokai Custom Orders

currypowder

Reaction score
Has anyone here worked directly with a dealer/store in Japan to order a custom guitar from Tokai? If so, could you provide me a contact and a little info on how the process went?

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you can order direct from faber guitar...

Roxy13

Reaction score
I think you can order direct from Tokai even. I should have the bookmark somewhere.

Reactions: E.X

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I've heard the president of Tokai is very reachable and if you need something real special the best thing to do is get a hold of him and then iron out the specs. You have to remember though Tokai will not sell a new Gibson style Tokai to North America. We are not worthy !! Lol

currypowder

Reaction score
It's nothing real special. I really like modern Tokais and would like a blonde ES model with a bigger neck than usual. All the more recent ones I've had and I see for sale have fairly small necks.

But I'm also not absolutely set on a Tokai, if another brand cam up that checked the boxes, I'd go that way.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
The Tokai direct route interests me too; if not against rules, regulations and all other things making our lives not only wonderful but also for the better, do please paste them here?

Here is what i know. You can get Tokai custom shop to do ALMOST any of their guitars custom made to your specs. Now i've never done so myself so i'm not sure how much you could deviate off the normal specs. I have heard that if you can't get what you want from their custom shop order site you can plead your case to the president, Mr. Shohei Adachi. How true that is i'm not sure. I don't know who can do it outside of Japan itself so i'd think you'd have to have someone in Japan at least or if you happen to live inside a country that Tokais are allowed your dealer should be able to hook you up ?? Perhaps you could do it yourself.

You will need a browser that translates Japanese to English for this link but its fairly straight forward at first glace.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
The link i put up is as far as i know Tokai Japan's Custom Shop.

They could have probably called it something more flashy than Guitar Shop. Ive drooled over the gallery pics of completed builds and i did manage to score one of them for myself when it became available on auction. If you click on gallery you can then see the specs of those guitars that they've made to order for different customers.

Last edited:

currypowder

Reaction score
Here is what i know. You can get Tokai custom shop to do ALMOST any of their guitars custom made to your specs. Now i've never done so myself so i'm not sure how much you could deviate off the normal specs. I have heard that if you can't get what you want from their custom shop order site you can plead your case to the president, Mr. Shohei Adachi. How true that is i'm not sure. I don't know who can do it outside of Japan itself so i'd think you'd have to have someone in Japan at least or if you happen to live inside a country that Tokais are allowed your dealer should be able to hook you up ?? Perhaps you could do it yourself.

You will need a browser that translates Japanese to English for this link but its fairly straight forward at first glace.

I checked that site out and in the Q&A section it specifically says they don't customize neck profiles. Maybe with the right asking, I could get them to do it, but I'm not sure I want to go down that road, yet.

currypowder

Reaction score
@currypowder i asked here as i find it 100% relevant to your own enquiry, but if you feel this is getting hijacked, kindly let me know and i'll cease posting.

As usual, @brokentoeswalker to the rescue; repeating myself, but much obliged :)

Short perilepsis, as context helps make sense of things:
After quite the consideration, i've settled on an ES type, for various reasons. Now the ES i want does not quite exist, so i'd either need it made from an 'independent' luthier or go brand custom, in which case meaning almost certainly Tokai due to budget constraints. Since you mentioned it, am an EU resident, so hopefully we've that out of the way as well.
Initial plan -albeit for a different guitar type at the time- was to contact Kurosawa, whom i've bought directly from in the past, ask them how and if; have yet to enquire if they even do this as i still lack the money, no point in making an ass of myself.

Is the site/store you link one you've used yourself? Or ultimately, one that you'd trust?
A lot of things go into a custom build, it isn't just about the money, communication is key too.

Not to doubt you or anything, don't misunderstand me.

Please keep the conversation going, it's all helpful.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I checked that site out and in the Q&A section it specifically says they don't customize neck profiles. Maybe with the right asking, I could get them to do it, but I'm not sure I want to go down that road, yet.

Wow, that seems crazy. If ordering a custom made guitar that would be one of the first things I would want to specify. I would be tempted to try a small luthier at that point.

Latest Threads