Toggle Switch in place of a pot? Why?

Gold_topped

Reaction score
I have seen more than a few LP's lately with a switch in place of a tone pot... what is the purpose?

You can already turn down or off either pickup...

Indyclone

Reaction score
I've seen where the 3 way switch was taken out of the near neck top side and placed there. (sometimes the top switch is just a dummy, sometimes it's just gone)

I've also seen it wired up to be a kill switch.

Gold_topped

Reaction score
I've seen where the 3 way switch was taken out of the near neck top side and placed there. (sometimes the top switch is just a dummy, sometimes it's just gone)

I've also seen it wired up to be a kill switch.
So they are taking the individual tone switch out, essentially sharing tone on one knob, and simply just making it a kill switch? I have seen push button kill switches, but toggle almost doesn't make sense...

But I bet that is what I am seeing.

wwit

Reaction score
Could be a kill switch for a 2 wire, or for switching series/parrallel or phase on a 4 wire.

voices

Reaction score
it also allows mods with no routing.

b3john

Reaction score
So they are taking the individual tone switch out, essentially sharing tone on one knob, and simply just making it a kill switch? I have seen push button kill switches, but toggle almost doesn't make sense...

But I bet that is what I am seeing.
I'm pretty sure toggles preceded the push button kill switches for that '70s stutter effect... :hmm: