Todays edition of People Suck (Renting - and is it really worth doing it ?)

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a sinking feeling that they stole it... at least it was returned undamaged.

toymaker

Reaction score
So unfortunately won’t get to meet Mr “court date”.

He was booked for Saturday -weather is clearly an issue and he messages me - asking can I bump someone else from a date to accommodate his reschedule....um - no.

Pick an open date or take a full refund...simple as that. I don’t care - it’s your choice...so replied, just plan on meeting me - I’ll take it out then if it gets bad come back and take a refund.

WTF is wrong with people - you try to bend over backwards, give them options and they want MORE.
So full refund it was - doubt I hear from him again...this is why I love using a booking agency...they can deal with him - I’m done.

toymaker

Reaction score
Well...got another “classic” for you guys tomorrow on this venture.

Probably the worst experience I have had dealing with a customer...that says a lot in itself.

How bad you ask - police were called, a Facebook lynch mob formed and threats against me and members of my family made - as well as a random jackass threatening to burn down my house after another kind soul felt it appropriate to post me photo, home address and personal home and office numbers online.

Stay tuned...

toymaker

Reaction score
Ok - so well here it is....

My Saturday rental from hell.

So rentals start with a booking via the booking site/agent (similar to AirBnB - VRBO) - renters complete a profile/enter credit card info and book the date - once rentals are completed, booking site pays me less fee's - and if anything goes wrong, they provide insurance and handle the issues. So once I get a booking - the booking site sends a copy of the rental agreement, terms and conditions and the insurance as well as any rules I select from their preferences (i/e - no smoking, alcohol ok, swimming ok - dogs ok, ect). It also clearly spells out the key exchange process as being in person along with a safety walkthrough and that you must meet at the designated time along with a note that failing to complete is grounds for cancel. I also send a text myself - first line is meet time is defaulted to 10a - if you are more than 30 minutes late without notice - I will contact and allow up to 30 additional minutes and no show/no rental and treated as a late notice cancel.

So this person actually booked 2 dates at once - one for June, one for July. They had planned a get together family thing in June - and husband 40th in July. The June rental went off with only "minor" problems - they were late arriving - but not over the hour and apologetic (and did send a text at 10:20 saying on the way...running 20 minutes late). They obviously were a party crowd - and I have no issue with that. Only big concern I had was they decided to use the battery compartment as their personal trash can - and cans piled on top of a battery post is not a good idea (one 22oz can was bridging the post on the battery - how it didn't pop I have no idea). Otherwise - all ok.

So about a week in advance of July rental - she text can I bring 14 people (listing says 10 max) and I reply no - the boat is simply not big enough. Its safety rating is for 11 - so 14 is over capacity. She replies "what if I pay more" - again - no, its too small and I am not saying anything in writing that its ok to violate safety. She then starts in to "I might just cancel" - fine, no problem - I have a wait list and someone else wants it...if you dont want it, let me know and full refund. So this continues for 3 days - keeps asking can she bring more (like the answer might change) and again no.

So morning of - we arrive at 9:45...and wait. 10a, no show (not unexpected) - 10:30a - text (just checking in - are you on the way)...replies yes...be there 10:45-11a. Wait until 11:15 and still not there...text again asking for ETA - nada. 11:30 I text and no reply - then call 5 minutes later - straight to voicemail - leave a voicemail...this is your 15 minute warning. At 11:45 I call the booking call center - confirm no calls from customer to them about running late - they will reach out to get an ETA and call back. They call - same as I experienced - no reply to text/straight to VM. Tell them to send a cancel through as 12 noon and allow a refund once customer calls.

So at 12:00 - we cancel and the customer gets a text/email showing canceled. Almost immediately - I get a call from the renter...OMG - your cancelling....you can't. I didn't know I had to meet at 10a - thought I just showed up when I wanted to. I can be there in an hour. Just replied back - sorry, you were aware of the 1 hour rule and we are now at 2 hours. You knew you were supposed to be here as you acknowledged my earlier text...so simply contact booking company for your refund.

This sparks a chain of 60+ text...initially pleading/begging - offering more money....then progressively becoming angrier and more threatening. Then the calls start...all within 15 minutes. I take first call - she is clearly drunk, slurring - fake crying and apologizing. Again - just a simple no and call to get your refund processed. She wont shut up so I just say call the 800# and hang up. 15 more calls in a row rejected...it finally stops and I think its over.

So then my FB starts lighting up...I am thinking what a moron....look, and no - her BF/Husband decided to post to a FB group for the lake about how they were "ripped off" - crying that we stole their $$. So of course mob mentality takes over and everyone starts supporting these idiots - so sorry for you...how horrible having your big day ruined.....then next thing I know one of the group mods decides its fitting to link to my personal FB page, post my HOME number (actually is my office number for work - but still private) and my home address with a suggestion that someone come pay me a visit to get the poor victims money back.....next idiot replies "it would be a shame if the place caught fire tonight" !!

Just as I am starting to call non emergency number for PD to get a complaint filed - manager of the marina where our boat is kept calls. 3 car loads of our "renters" just pulled up..there are 14 of them - all clearly drunk, looking around for the boat (which had already been set out to the wait listed customer). I filled him in quickly - said just tell them to leave and if they don't call PD (he isnt the type who would actually call PD - kinda of guy who doesnt like alot of cops around if you get my drift and would much prefer to deal with it himself - one of the reasons I really like the marina and why I use them). Group eventually decides to split...and we think its done.

So then I get a call from my mothers nurse aide....any idea why your mom's FB messenger is getting nasty messages about a boat....yea...I'll deal with it. Then the phone rings - its the booking company. They are getting calls from the renters with DEMANDS. They want refund of BOTH rentals (June and July) and compensation for not having a 40th birthday...of course they told them pass - just wanted to let me know. I set the booking agency manager over to the FB posting and they agree - no refund for today until all this is pulled.

Of course they refuse to pull - demand 10k now (where they come up with such a stupid high # I have no idea) and threaten to post all over and to call the news about this "rip off" - their answer was pretty simple - go ahead - we have attorneys for a reason and will have no problem firing back a reply - your FB post, your text and your voicemails will make this simple.

Thankfully - they must have eventually passed out/slept it off as it has been quiet for 12 hours now. Now I get dealing with the public your gonna find some true morons. What truly stuns me is the complete idiocy of people willing to jump into a fight they know nothing about on FB - all over a single post from a new user. Jesus - I cannot imagine that kinda reply here or any other forum I post to. Going through the trouble of finding private info and posting publicly is just asking for a lawsuit against you...or some more immediate justice.

It also really took all I could not to simply post a response (still does) - but I know from years of doing mediation/customer resolution that is probably the wrong approach....when you engage someone like this - you drag yourself and your image down to their level. How the hell stupid are people in general? Does it not set off any bells and whistles when someone post they were "ripped off" and then someone else links to a site where the person has 30+ 5 star reviews with no negatives...I mean, I get feedback such as Ebay is sometimes misleading...but rarely does someone with NO complaints just decide to go rogue and start screwing innocent people. There are warning signs - or more likely the story isnt all the complaining party makes it out to be. The fact idiots want to go all torches and pitchforks in support of another stranger is scary in a digital world.

On the positive side - it did convince me to deactivate FB finally - I've debated it for a while now. I like some of the forums that have moved to FB groups only - and will probably start a user just to re/join those...but me personally - I am done with FB...if I want to know whats up in a friends life on a personal level - I'll stop by when possible or if not possible, give my friends a call.

Ed B

Reaction score
What a sh*t show. People are idiots. Don't blame you for leaving FB. Life is better without it.

LP121

Reaction score
After owning a boat quite a few years ago I'm a strict adherent to the old adage that the best boat is someone else's.

I'll vouch for that.

Boat

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF.....

if they damage your reputation with this BS .....you need to sue....for over and above any real damages....that was just wrong. Its almost Karin -like.....and I think there are anti- Karin laws....

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
You must have their address on the application? I’d make sure something happened to their property.

toymaker

Reaction score
Sue for damage to reputation...it’s an easy win - but like most lawsuits, winning is not hard....collecting is. I’ve got more judgements on people sitting on the books than I care to count. Can’t get blood from a stone.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Ok - so well here it is....

My Saturday rental from hell.

So rentals start with a booking via the booking site/agent (similar to AirBnB - VRBO) - renters complete a profile/enter credit card info and book the date - once rentals are completed, booking site pays me less fee's - and if anything goes wrong, they provide insurance and handle the issues. So once I get a booking - the booking site sends a copy of the rental agreement, terms and conditions and the insurance as well as any rules I select from their preferences (i/e - no smoking, alcohol ok, swimming ok - dogs ok, ect). It also clearly spells out the key exchange process as being in person along with a safety walkthrough and that you must meet at the designated time along with a note that failing to complete is grounds for cancel. I also send a text myself - first line is meet time is defaulted to 10a - if you are more than 30 minutes late without notice - I will contact and allow up to 30 additional minutes and no show/no rental and treated as a late notice cancel.

So this person actually booked 2 dates at once - one for June, one for July. They had planned a get together family thing in June - and husband 40th in July. The June rental went off with only "minor" problems - they were late arriving - but not over the hour and apologetic (and did send a text at 10:20 saying on the way...running 20 minutes late). They obviously were a party crowd - and I have no issue with that. Only big concern I had was they decided to use the battery compartment as their personal trash can - and cans piled on top of a battery post is not a good idea (one 22oz can was bridging the post on the battery - how it didn't pop I have no idea). Otherwise - all ok.

So about a week in advance of July rental - she text can I bring 14 people (listing says 10 max) and I reply no - the boat is simply not big enough. Its safety rating is for 11 - so 14 is over capacity. She replies "what if I pay more" - again - no, its too small and I am not saying anything in writing that its ok to violate safety. She then starts in to "I might just cancel" - fine, no problem - I have a wait list and someone else wants it...if you dont want it, let me know and full refund. So this continues for 3 days - keeps asking can she bring more (like the answer might change) and again no.

So morning of - we arrive at 9:45...and wait. 10a, no show (not unexpected) - 10:30a - text (just checking in - are you on the way)...replies yes...be there 10:45-11a. Wait until 11:15 and still not there...text again asking for ETA - nada. 11:30 I text and no reply - then call 5 minutes later - straight to voicemail - leave a voicemail...this is your 15 minute warning. At 11:45 I call the booking call center - confirm no calls from customer to them about running late - they will reach out to get an ETA and call back. They call - same as I experienced - no reply to text/straight to VM. Tell them to send a cancel through as 12 noon and allow a refund once customer calls.

So at 12:00 - we cancel and the customer gets a text/email showing canceled. Almost immediately - I get a call from the renter...OMG - your cancelling....you can't. I didn't know I had to meet at 10a - thought I just showed up when I wanted to. I can be there in an hour. Just replied back - sorry, you were aware of the 1 hour rule and we are now at 2 hours. You knew you were supposed to be here as you acknowledged my earlier text...so simply contact booking company for your refund.

This sparks a chain of 60+ text...initially pleading/begging - offering more money....then progressively becoming angrier and more threatening. Then the calls start...all within 15 minutes. I take first call - she is clearly drunk, slurring - fake crying and apologizing. Again - just a simple no and call to get your refund processed. She wont shut up so I just say call the 800# and hang up. 15 more calls in a row rejected...it finally stops and I think its over.

So then my FB starts lighting up...I am thinking what a moron....look, and no - her BF/Husband decided to post to a FB group for the lake about how they were "ripped off" - crying that we stole their $$. So of course mob mentality takes over and everyone starts supporting these idiots - so sorry for you...how horrible having your big day ruined.....then next thing I know one of the group mods decides its fitting to link to my personal FB page, post my HOME number (actually is my office number for work - but still private) and my home address with a suggestion that someone come pay me a visit to get the poor victims money back.....next idiot replies "it would be a shame if the place caught fire tonight" !!

Just as I am starting to call non emergency number for PD to get a complaint filed - manager of the marina where our boat is kept calls. 3 car loads of our "renters" just pulled up..there are 14 of them - all clearly drunk, looking around for the boat (which had already been set out to the wait listed customer). I filled him in quickly - said just tell them to leave and if they don't call PD (he isnt the type who would actually call PD - kinda of guy who doesnt like alot of cops around if you get my drift and would much prefer to deal with it himself - one of the reasons I really like the marina and why I use them). Group eventually decides to split...and we think its done.

So then I get a call from my mothers nurse aide....any idea why your mom's FB messenger is getting nasty messages about a boat....yea...I'll deal with it. Then the phone rings - its the booking company. They are getting calls from the renters with DEMANDS. They want refund of BOTH rentals (June and July) and compensation for not having a 40th birthday...of course they told them pass - just wanted to let me know. I set the booking agency manager over to the FB posting and they agree - no refund for today until all this is pulled.

Of course they refuse to pull - demand 10k now (where they come up with such a stupid high # I have no idea) and threaten to post all over and to call the news about this "rip off" - their answer was pretty simple - go ahead - we have attorneys for a reason and will have no problem firing back a reply - your FB post, your text and your voicemails will make this simple.

Thankfully - they must have eventually passed out/slept it off as it has been quiet for 12 hours now. Now I get dealing with the public your gonna find some true morons. What truly stuns me is the complete idiocy of people willing to jump into a fight they know nothing about on FB - all over a single post from a new user. Jesus - I cannot imagine that kinda reply here or any other forum I post to. Going through the trouble of finding private info and posting publicly is just asking for a lawsuit against you...or some more immediate justice.

It also really took all I could not to simply post a response (still does) - but I know from years of doing mediation/customer resolution that is probably the wrong approach....when you engage someone like this - you drag yourself and your image down to their level. How the hell stupid are people in general? Does it not set off any bells and whistles when someone post they were "ripped off" and then someone else links to a site where the person has 30+ 5 star reviews with no negatives...I mean, I get feedback such as Ebay is sometimes misleading...but rarely does someone with NO complaints just decide to go rogue and start screwing innocent people. There are warning signs - or more likely the story isnt all the complaining party makes it out to be. The fact idiots want to go all torches and pitchforks in support of another stranger is scary in a digital world.

On the positive side - it did convince me to deactivate FB finally - I've debated it for a while now. I like some of the forums that have moved to FB groups only - and will probably start a user just to re/join those...but me personally - I am done with FB...if I want to know whats up in a friends life on a personal level - I'll stop by when possible or if not possible, give my friends a call.
People suck.

I don't envy you in this situation.

toymaker

Reaction score
As to being worth the money..no it isn’t.

To me - it’s less about money than people. If I wanted to make money...there are better ways to do it. This was more 2 pronged - helping people who are considering boating get a day on the water experience in a no pressure setting to see if they like it - and secondly giving families a value vacation option.

Hell, I didn’t grow up rich by any means...some years when things were tight - vacation for my parents meant camping a week at a state park in a borrowed camper....a day out on the water is a vacation to some families - especially this year. It’s worth it to me meeting a lot of great people and talking to parents saying how much their kids enjoyed going out swimming, tubing, fishing or in the case of one little girl about 4 - just seeing the geese and ducks come up to them on the water.

We get plenty of weekend party crowds too - and I am fine with them too...nothing better than just setting out from bar to bar on the water with every venue offering live music on weekends to me. Of course that’s dead this year..

I hate the fact the water is just full of dumbass boat owners every holiday weekend. We all know the guy - 100k boat, 0 education on how to drive it. Between that guy - and the ones who cannot launch a boat - makes sitting on shore watching the show the best vantage point for me.

Sct13

Reaction score
As to being worth the money..no it isn’t.

To me - it’s less about money than people. If I wanted to make money...there are better ways to do it. This was more 2 pronged - helping people who are considering boating get a day on the water experience in a no pressure setting to see if they like it - and secondly giving families a value vacation option.

Hell, I didn’t grow up rich by any means...some years when things were tight - vacation for my parents meant camping a week at a state park in a borrowed camper....a day out on the water is a vacation to some families - especially this year. It’s worth it to me meeting a lot of great people and talking to parents saying how much their kids enjoyed going out swimming, tubing, fishing or in the case of one little girl about 4 - just seeing the geese and ducks come up to them on the water.

We get plenty of weekend party crowds too - and I am fine with them too...nothing better than just setting out from bar to bar on the water with every venue offering live music on weekends to me. Of course that’s dead this year..

I hate the fact the water is just full of dumbass boat owners every holiday weekend. We all know the guy - 100k boat, 0 education on how to drive it. Between that guy - and the ones who cannot launch a boat - makes sitting on shore watching the show the best vantage point for me.

Ha...I live near the Detroit river and certainly know the type...And all the lakes around here there are plenty of em.......I'm not a boater by any means....but I know rentals, I ran a small equipment rental shop for some years, and boy howdy do you get the the beat all... end all jerks sometimes....( I gotta admit, I'm not sure how I would really handle internet scorn like like you got) ....

The worst part of that job was scouting local pawn shops and actually finding your stolen equipment.....I liked scouting around at pawn shops in the company truck (that's how I found a vintage Marshall, that I still have, among other gems)

But reporting the theft and buying it back, dealing with the state police, (it was usually a piece of equipment worth more than $300.... I had to go to court two or three times, point out the perpetrator who signed the paperwork....add up the rental fees for the recoup ....the paperwork sucked....

But anyway....best of luck with this.....

I had to go and put a lien on someones property once, they owed somewhere around 15k .....maybe you could do that....thats a kick in the teeth ....later...

toymaker

Reaction score
So just when I thought it was over (the booking company and myself decided to just give this Karen her refund for the single day...and booking company comped me a rebate on next 5 bookings equal to what I would have gotten from her).

Early this morning - dog starts going nuts...go out and some jackass destroyed our mailbox. PR filed - no evidence of course in action...but the FB post doesn’t look good for sure now.

On top of that - dumbass yesterday claims “fuel gauge broke causing him to run out of gas” - said fine - dock it and I’ll bring gas...”nah...that’s alright, my buddy is going for gas” - an hour later I call to check on them....yea, they got gas...but not sure it was enough....ok, how much - 5 gallon can, 2 gallon....nope “we didn’t wanna buy a can - so just bought a 2 liter of Faygo-dumped it and put gas in it....got most of the gas in the tank.....will that be ok for another few hours” !?! WTF people

Fortunately - I filled today and ran a can of SeaFoam through it - runs fine.. still - where in the hell do these idiots come from???

He later text me he put 20 gallons of fuel in (guessing looking for some $$) asked to see the receipt as we need to have a conversation with the pump attendant at Marina to figure how he got 20 gallons in a 16 gallon tank...it then changed to $20 (btw - the Marina is closed Mondays)

toymaker

Reaction score
Ohhh...scouting pawn shops for stolen stuff. One of the many perks of my 9-5 job.

Handle a claim of some piece of stolen jewelry or firearm.. you can pretty much tell what will turn up in pawn shops, what you will never see again (and what you suspect was never actually stolen).

Ebay and the internet changed things of course - but as investigative tools and investigators got sharper/techi’er it got real fun. Still the best gets are made on plain old handshake friendships with some pawn merchants. They know what’s stolen from someone - your not fooling them walking in with a 100 year old necklace was passed down from great grandma with your face tattoo, ear ring hoops and meth mouth....if she passed it down to you 10 years ago - it would have been pawned the 2nd day you took up drugs. Ditto that chain saw that you walk in with that you “no longer need” - and have them the most confused look when they ask you to start it up..

Most of these guys are old school...they pay little because they know they might not see a cent back. Most are honest with me because they know I’ll get the a reward above what they paid. Hell, sone are just downright shocked when pieces I came looking for turned out to be real.

Guns are tough...too easy to resell. Tools - some stuff is just too big and stands out on a pawn shop rack. Jewelry - they know what’s valuable, and the low life brokers will melt old stuff in a heartbeat just to bank a few bucks. But overall it’s a tight knit group - more than once I’ve gotten “I don’t have it but a “friend” might..what’s it worth and what’s the reward” calls - no question reward and recovery - everyone’s happy in the end.

Now if ever pawnshop didn’t think EVERY brand name was valuable...you know the type - low end Martin for a bargain price of $1500....LP Studio...that’s a $2995 ticket... USA Strat - $1200 and she’s yours. They price everything like this - not because they are stupid - but because their customers are.

Sct13

Reaction score
I used to scout for amps, guitars and higher end cameras (before digital) ... more than once I scored on a great price, that Marshall 2203 was around 650 ... and its still a killer amp.

but yea, some things you just walk away from. It’s certainly a changed landscape now.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've gotten great deals at pawn shops. A bud ran a chain of em. He explained to me that to make good money, they do not care about the item, it is the money invested. Money has to move constantly. He made big money. I learned that "How much must you have to get well on this item?" told them you were serious, had the cash to buy if the price was killer, and the ball was in their court to make the sale. They would sell it for a small profit to MOVE it and put that moeny in play again. It costs them money for that item to sit. One of his shops, if I went in and actually picked up something, somebody would go to the computer to see what they had in it. I'd toss my question and they would give me a price waaaay different than tag. Bud said it is all about moving the money period. He said 'sure, I'd like to take that Rem 1100 home but I am in business to make money. If I have to make just a few points on it, I will because I will make it up on the next guy that walked in after you just did.' He said some will pay tag, some won't, but he will try to sell it to them at some price as long as he stays positive on it....the money moves again... Pawn shops that won't budge don't make money like he does...

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Along same, I bought aa mint as new Tele MiM with hard case for a C note, a Godin SDXT like new with Godin bag for a C note, Bud with me one day bought a Rem 700 VLS for 400 OTD in .300WinMag... the rat bastid wouldn't get his big ass out of my way to buy it...He laid down four crackers before I could get my wallet out...and I was the one that told the guy to get it off the rack.... The good ones would rather not dickle....that's what everybody else does and then wasn't serious about buying to begin with. Never work from the tag...

Latest Threads