Today I dont care about my guitars, any gear ,..........

Bluesky

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
My oldest is going off to college. Very proud of him. He graduated 2017 from H.S. He played H.S. basket ball. The High school never really gave him a chance to play. So other kids got opportunities. He was barely 5'7" late bloomer He had talent but his size kept him back. Last year he had a growing spurt to 5'11" He weighs around 170. Not a big kid......but he can move. Last year he went to local college.Got a job at a restaurant and worked his ass off. He would get up in the morning 5 days a week and train . played basketball before school. I'd come home from work and see him doing dribbling drills outside. He was really consistent. He tried out and went to basket ball expos through out the state. He got a few tryouts and actually landed a scholarship to a school about 30 mins west of Orlando. So proud of him. He spent the week saying goodbyes. I watched him come home very upset.....his job threw him a party. Said goodbye to his is girlfriend, all his friends.Just a short while ago they went to the prom. The last two nights have been rough. I watched this kid so sure of what he wanted actually think about not going. Our three dogs are getting older.......he was in 1st grade when he got his schnauzer. Old Jolly is blind.......watching him hug that dog goodbye .........I cant begin to tell you . He slept with him all last night.

All said I probably should have waited to next week to get my shoulder done. I never thought it was going to be this rough. My wife is beside herself as well. I didn't sleep a wink last night. I just got my youngest off to school. Hes in the 10th grade. Leaving in 2 hours to drive him up with all his stuff. This is going to be rough. That ride back , not seeing him in the driveway dribbling a ball when I get home..........

I looked at my gear , all the money I have invested in it. All my stupid stuff. Means nothing . Just stuff to sell in the future.....or stuff somebody else will sell for me. My stupid old Camaro. Today none of it means anything. Ever watch American Pickers? See the huge collections amassed by people only to have it sold off after you kick. I've seen the true meaning of life. In a way I guess I'm a lucky bastard. But I sure dont feel like it. It hurts man. I cant express it in words enough. Thank god I still have my 15 yr old.......but its only a 3 yr reprieve. All the overtime I work......upping the retirement fund.......for what? To get more stuff? Maybe being home I'm thinking too much. As I write this the back yard is quiet. The pool is empty. No more screaming kids.I can see the many parties.....all the fun. Enjoy every minute of it . Sorry for the depressing post. Almost time to wake him up for the last time.........

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
I remember that day well when our oldest went off to school. It was tough. But scroll ahead a few years and you realize they aren't ever gone. Our kids find their way home often..and honestly, when they are ready to leave I smile about how nice it will be to HAVE MY HOUSE BACK!!!

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
Success is paving the way for others. You've done a great job of it, take solace in that.

I can remember back to the depths of time to when I left for college. Yeah, it was a happy/sad sandwich, but also the "start" of a great adventure.

The younger generation is our hope for the future. Great that you've got that working for you.

electric head

Just passing thru
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is an idea if you have not already thought about it.
Start now and make up a small list of things you have learned the hard way over your life.When you are leaving the dorm room set it somewhere he will find after you leave.

Expect a phone call....

Mockbel

Reaction score
Great post brother, thank you
Such posts make me stop and think.. I always say I am done with kids, I can’t take it anymore, I want them to grow up so I can enjoy some calm life, etc... but, will I really enjoy my time when they are grown ups who don’t bug me anymore !!??

defcrew

Reaction score
When your kids are living at home I think those are probably the best days of your life but you'll adjust in time. My son turns 29 Sunday and I remember the day we brought him home from the hospital like it was last week. Our lives are many things going on concurrently and I think it is a mistake to raise kids thinking they are the most important thing in the world. You have a life outside of him and he of you...as it should be. We do have a culture of materialism that seems to catch us all in its throes but I suspect your boy thinks you did just fine with him. Sounds like a great kid. It's actually an anxious time in both of your lives. You'll get through it and, believe it or not, as folks say above, you will come to love your quieter, privater home and life. The only constant is change.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Great post.

Not that it makes it easier for you, but something else to think about, or, at least another way to think about what you already are......

My daughter is 8, and has some pretty serious disabilities. She, unfortunately, barring a medical miracle, will never be able to be on her own, play sports, and is also non-verbal. While I COMPELTELY understand your thoughts, and can imagine how difficult entering that phase of your life, and his is, just be so thankful, and get a little joy out of it too.

Your son sounds like a great young man. Not doing drugs, dropping out of school, healthy, intelligent.....many, many blessings sir. So while I'm sure it's not easy, I will say congratulations.

meatball

Reaction score
Him being raised correctly is your fault pal !!! Congratulations you are a great parent ,, cant say that for a lot of kids these days ,, Parents hav turned their backs on parenting skills ,,, right ?

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Not depressing the way I see it. You've done a great job raising your kids and they are growing up and moving on. Many kids don't do so well and never leave home or leave and come back after failures.

My two girls have been gone for quite some time. I missed them when they left, but I was so proud of them their leaving didn't sting so bad. They are both very well balanced productive members of society with family's of their own now and I couldn't be prouder!

Be proud of yourself and your son! Be hopeful for his future. Don't dwell too long on him being gone...we all have to learn how to fly on our own!

EndGame00

Reaction score
My eldest son has already set his sight to join the Marines after he graduate from HS this school year... Following my dad and my eldest brother's footsteps....

ddh101

Reaction score
Damnit, your post brought a tear to my eye. I have a 28 yr old, a 20 yr old, a 5 yr old, and a 3 year old. My secret to never having an empty nest ..... keep having kids. On my 3rd kindergartener in the last 23 years. One more to go. I’ll be 70 when my youngest graduates high school. It’s not for everyone and certainly not for the weak. Sometimes I wonder what an empty nest would feel like.

Bluesky

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Damnit, your post brought a tear to my eye. I have a 28 yr old, a 20 yr old, a 5 yr old, and a 3 year old. My secret to never having an empty nest ..... keep having kids. On my 3rd kindergartener in the last 23 years. One more to go. I’ll be 70 when my youngest graduates high school. It’s not for everyone and certainly not for the weak. Sometimes I wonder what an empty nest would feel like.
Dude.........it blows. I've heard about it. Laughed about it. I took my son when he was an infant and moved to Florida in 99.
Never thought how it would affect my parents. They tell me they were crushed.....thier 6 month old grandbaby. But they followed soon after.

It's hard though. I'm waiting for him to come back from orientation. Then I have a 2 hr ride south...........I'm psyching myself up for it. Gonna be rough.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
We have one done and one finishing up. The oldest went away to school, came back and finished up in town. Works near the house so we see him everyday. He’s now talking about moving out of state and it’s killing my wife. I’m not thrilled either but we did the same.
The younger will also likely move away when he graduates.
What’s killing us is that we ha e to put things like downsizing on hold until we find out where they go.
But the wheel in the sky keeps on turning.