Tobacco Burst AAA

SD1030

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is it really hard to find a 50’s standard AAA flametop in tobacco burst? I’ve been having trouble finding one. I see a lot of honeybursts and unbursts with it, but barely any TB with heavy flames.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

moreles

Reaction score
Somewhere there are production numbers that would confirm or discredit this observation. I don't see or shop for enough new guitars to know. As one who instantly slips into the unhealthy mindset of assuming corporate shenanigans. I am guessing that with strongly-figured wood of the thickness of a LP top becoming scarce, the darker bursts are being slapped on guitars with figuring only in the more visible central area while the top sets with fuller whole-top flame are used for the lighter finishes where the whole area is clearly visible. Either that or (more likely) the algorithm for what's likely to be bought treats tobacco bursts as a less-popular choice, reducing production numbers for that option.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
Reverb.

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reverb.
This are available all over. Wildwood has a good selection. But none are AAA. I think a used guitar, or Slash November is as close as you can get right now.

Nintari

Reaction score
Isn't the idea behind it due to the 50's Les Paul's being plain tops... thus AAA would be historically inaccurate? I thought I remembered hearing that.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may not be fair,... it’s my R9

EFBE534D-2FC9-469A-BE61-27A291159701.jpeg

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Somewhere there are production numbers that would confirm or discredit this observation. I don't see or shop for enough new guitars to know. As one who instantly slips into the unhealthy mindset of assuming corporate shenanigans. I am guessing that with strongly-figured wood of the thickness of a LP top becoming scarce, the darker bursts are being slapped on guitars with figuring only in the more visible central area while the top sets with fuller whole-top flame are used for the lighter finishes where the whole area is clearly visible. Either that or (more likely) the algorithm for what's likely to be bought treats tobacco bursts as a less-popular choice, reducing production numbers for that option.
Would agree. This crossed my mind as well.

SD1030

Reaction score
yea looks like I may have to make the jump to another finish, maybe I can find a honey burst with a darker finish on the edges or something. Or just keep searching…. Thanks guys!

DaveSG

Reaction score
From limited observation, I've seen most flametops --> least flametops go something like this:

Lemonburst
Unburst
Cherry Sunburst
Bourbon Burst
Tobacco Sunburst

Totally anecdotal, I know. But, like the OP the thought has cross my mind as well. Speaking of that, has anyone seen any super wild Bourbon burst tops on the 60s Standards? If they are out there, I haven't seen 'em.

danzego

Reaction score
A Slash Standard isn’t a bad choice if a AAA top is what you’re after. After all, they cost extra because of the nicer top and, of course, the “Slash tax”.

Great guitars. I just sold one because I couldn’t quite get along with the neck profile (felt a bit too chunky, even compared to my Standard 50’s. But even those seem to be getting less sanding time lately at the factory; play first or make sure you have a return policy in place). The tops are real nice. The “Slashbuckers” are real nice pickups, too!

RMLamey

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is it really hard to find a 50’s standard AAA flametop in tobacco burst? I’ve been having trouble finding one. I see a lot of honeybursts and unbursts with it, but barely any TB with heavy flames.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
My local Gibson dealer has 1 on the showroom and 5 in the back.

Gymbow

Reaction score
It’s not just you. I wanted a AAA top as well, but only found it available for the Standard 60’s model in Unburst and Bourbon Burst. Fortunately, I found this Unburst at ZZound this week. Wildwood has a number of AAA tops for the 50’s model.

E32196BF-337B-4817-9D1A-44AAB9618279.jpeg

danzego

Reaction score
My local Gibson dealer has 1 on the showroom and 5 in the back.

They’re all legitimate AAA flametops? As in you’ve seen them all and they actually have knockout tops, not the crud that seems to be the bulk of what Gibson is sending out these days? Because that’s what the OP is talking about: Tobacco Burst Standard 50’s with exceptional tops.

By the way, I noticed that Gibson’s site doesn’t even have the Standards spec’ed out for flame tops anymore. The site just has them listed as “maple”. When they first released, I recall Gibson having them listed as AA, while previous year Traditionals and Standards were AAA.

The Slash Standards, on the other hand, ARE listed as having “AAA Flame Maple”. Mind you, I wouldn’t consider most of them that I see on websites as really being AAA, but they’re definitely more consistently nicely flamed than the Standard 50s are. Clearly, Gibson isn’t interested in making sure they get flame tops for the Standard series anymore.

danzego

Reaction score
I just visited Sweetwater’s site to see what they have going on in terms of the “AAA” Standards selection that some retailers carry (like Sweetwater, Zzounds, Wildwood, etc). It looks like they’re fine with calling anything that even remotely has flame on the top “AAA”.

Those Lemonbursts are just awful looking, btw. Many of them have yellow rims and it looks like they didn’t even color the middle. Yuck.

kes7u

Reaction score
Wow, you're right. How in the world can they consider those lemonbursts AAA? And the coloring is awful.

Kevin

RMLamey

Reaction score
They’re all legitimate AAA flametops? As in you’ve seen them all and they actually have knockout tops, not the crud that seems to be the bulk of what Gibson is sending out these days? Because that’s what the OP is talking about: Tobacco Burst Standard 50’s with exceptional tops.

By the way, I noticed that Gibson’s site doesn’t even have the Standards spec’ed out for flame tops anymore. The site just has them listed as “maple”. When they first released, I recall Gibson having them listed as AA, while previous year Traditionals and Standards were AAA.

The Slash Standards, on the other hand, ARE listed as having “AAA Flame Maple”. Mind you, I wouldn’t consider most of them that I see on websites as really being AAA, but they’re definitely more consistently nicely flamed than the Standard 50s are. Clearly, Gibson isn’t interested in making sure they get flame tops for the Standard series anymore.

Misread the OP , they are pretty average AA, my bad. HOWEVER, they had some killer Unburst, one of wich I'm going to make a post about.

For supposedly AA, this one has lots of stripe, movement, and streaking wich I like... and it was 8.8 lb.
Screenshot_20220904-070629_Gallery.jpg

Latest Threads