To wrap or over wrap

Oddball667

Reaction score
...ok so I hear theres a debate on this and as its getting to be time to change my strings I was going to try and get some advice and opinions on it .
Is there a tonal difference ?
Does it effect tunning stability ?
And how about string breakage and or anything else you guys can think of .

Mannish Boy

Reaction score
Sounds pretty crazy, wouldn't that like jack up the space time continuum or somethin'?

jkes01

Reaction score
No problem. Just be warned that if you decide to top wrap, you will likely mar the finish on the tail piece with string indentions.

Oddball667

Reaction score
No problem. Just be warned that if you decide to top wrap, you will likely mar the finish on the tail piece with string indentions.
Ive said several times that I wasnt gonna change anything on my guitar , but am thinking of changing my bridge to a black tones pro and tuners to black grocers or black locking , and my pickgaurd to a black mother of pearl to kinda idk give it a darker look to match the wine red , but would have to switch pickup covers also and I'm not that tech savy and dont want to change the pick up tone .
But with thinking about that (and changing strings) just got me wondering about tonal differences in an over wrap. Guess im not really interested in doing it , just read ppl are on one side otlr they other on this and wanted to onow why.

Socrates

Reaction score
I would just try it and see what you think. I do it because otherwise I have to raise the tailpiece so the strings clear the back of the bridge. I cannot hear any difference, but it does feel a bit different

Oddball667

Reaction score
I would just try it and see what you think. I do it because otherwise I have to raise the tailpiece so the strings clear the back of the bridge. I cannot hear any difference, but it does feel a bit different
Seeing ppl like page ect doing just made me curious , i should of checked to see if there were posts about it before I posted and stirred up a hornets nest

jkes01

Reaction score
Don’t see anywhere you said you weren’t going to change anything. Also don’t think you stirred the hornets nest. There are plenty of existing threads to form your own opinion.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Just try and see if you like it. If you don't like it, restring normally. Worse comes to worse, it costs you a pack of strings.

Oddball667

Reaction score
Don’t see anywhere you said you weren’t going to change anything. Also don’t think you stirred the hornets nest. There are plenty of existing threads to form your own opinion.
Ive said i wasnt going to change anything in several other comments on several other posts .
But after posting this ive realized this is kinda a hotly debated topic , not just on this forum but in general with stoo tails after doing a bit of research.

jkes01

Reaction score
Sorry, I’m not in several other posts, just this one and trying to help. Good luck.

Oddball667

Reaction score
Just try and see if you like it. If you don't like it, restring normally. Worse comes to worse, it costs you a pack of strings.
I dont think i would after reading a bit , i like how easy it is to bend on this neck and ive read it adds a bit of tension to the strings and id rather not do that.

Oddball667

Reaction score
I dont think i would after reading a bit , i like how easy it is to bend on this neck and ive read it adds a bit of tension to the strings and id rather not do that.
Hey man no worries , and I appreciate your input, was just trying to clear up any confusion you may of had about my comment.
I have a bad habit of looking at these forums as one long conversation and not as a bunch of separate posts as they actually are .

Standard 64

Reaction score
I agree that it changes the feel a bit and strings feel looser.Bonamassa has done it.So has Page at one point.Many others also.

jc2000

Reaction score
I started top wrapping about a year ago, only for the fact that I wanted my tail piece tight to the body. I have noticed no difference in tone but I will keep doing it.

christopherJ

Reaction score
Top wrapping will give you a slinky feel to the strings. Easier bends. Some like it, some don't. Some only wrap half the strings.

I top wrap all by LP style stop bar guitars.

Latest Threads