To Wizz or not to Wizz...

geddy402

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys! I have tried fooling around with the pots but they don't have much nuance. But I tend to turn the bass down in the amp when I solo the neck pickup and and turn it back up when I switch to bridge. Haven't found the sweet spot on the amp yet where they both sound amazing.

Ideally the PAF sound I'm going for is a just really meaty clear tele type of neck and nasty but not shrill/ice picky bridge. I think the pickups in there are about 95% there but like you guys know it's that elusive 5% that we all look for...and might be unattainable.

tonybony

Reaction score
I think someone on this forum said "that last 5% is the most expensive too". It can be, but for me, it's the most fun as well. I've quit drinking and smoking, I try to eat right and I don't cheat on my wife, so tone chasing is my last vice. And we are all fortunate these days that we can buy gear to try and then resell if we want to try something new without taking a big hit.

Much harder for me to do that in the old days. And we also didn't have the amazing winders, pedal makers, and amp makers that we have now right?

Enjoy that last 5% (and your soon to be new Wizz set :naughty:)

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Have you changed your pots out yet? Just a harness change can open up your pickup's sonic palette in huge ways. It'll enhance what you hear from the Wizz pickups just as much though :) Alex's pickups kick PAF ass.

JTele

Reaction score
Yeap......I'm in the "go for the Wizz" camp! As others have said, if you don't like them, you can always flip them for nearly the same price you paid for them. While the stock pickups may indeed be some great pickups, the Wizz set is worth the experience of trying them, IMO.

Cevo-MG

Reaction score
I just had some contact with the guy from Wizz, I didn't knew they're from Croatia. I'm gonna buy a set, but first I hope my Tim SHaw sell fast.

Yep .. what bothers me is when you go to his site there is NO record of that anywhere - no company name no person nothing is stated .. ok .. we know from here that there is a guy ( i even know a prof. musician from croatia who knows him personaly but ... nevertheless ... ) behind this ... somehow i do not trust those kind of "secret" sites ... why should i give him 500 USD where i cannot even see the address of the "company" behind that ???

d1m1

Reaction score
Yep .. what bothers me is when you go to his site there is NO record of that anywhere - no company name no person nothing is stated .. ok .. we know from here that there is a guy ( i even know a prof. musician from croatia who knows him personaly but ... nevertheless ... ) behind this

his full name, adress, phone number, company, oib (company ID), bank account data etc etc are writen on the invoice you get with the pickups. nothing secret there!

somehow i do not trust those kind of "secret" sites

dozens have trusted him and every single one agrees that he a great guy to deal with. but as i said, nothing secret there.

why should i give him 500 USD

to get the best paf clones out there? and it´s 425 usd incl. machted rings and shipping.

it´s the dude in front of the winding machine by the way:D
https://www.facebook.com/wizz.pickups/about

:cheers:

The Thruth

wizzard
Reaction score
yes, no secrets i just didn't think this is something that needs to be on website but if you google you can see i have legal bussinss for making musical instruments and parts since 2012. and before that i was in cooperation with a close friend having combined bussiness for making guitars :thumb:

WIZARD d.o.o. Koprivnica

Wizard d.o.o.
Kneza Domagoja 34
48000 Koprivnica
Croatia

OIB:76105878268
EORI: HR76105878268
MB:02858398

executive manager and owner: Aleksandar Vrhovec

you don't need to send me money, depends where you live you can buy my pickups through my dealers, i have them in USA, Japan and France (check on website) and all my dealers probably have pickups in stash right now and maybe even in testing guitars so you can try before buy

ohhh and this is picture from my winding machine

10152613_689797841078030_5200572820875836481_n.jpg

cheers
alex

Bluefox

Reaction score
it´s the dude in front of the winding machine by the way:D
https://www.facebook.com/wizz.pickups/about

:cheers:
She's the boss. She has good ear for tone, and once told me that there are subtleties in the PAf that no human ever noticed, but she throw them in just because she hears them.... But mostly she lets Alex, that boy, wind PAF clones any time she's busy with her specialty... P 90s, how do you call them? No, not those looking like soap bars... the other kind....

afranke

Reaction score
cute pug!!!!! id love to try out a set of wiz,they are next on my list..
I have recently been bitten by the paf bug.ive tried wcr darkburst[love them] electric city rd-59[my favorite]wcr godwood[a bit too hot] rewind hi output set[my second favorite]

Andy1966

Reaction score
Get a set...you will not be disappointed....I have a set in my 13 R8 and they sound superb...I have also orderd a set of his P90's to put in a re-issue deluxe I have...:thumb:

geddy402

Reaction score
There's a shop in Leymone, PA that sells these? That's not too far from me, might have to check it out!

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So it a month old thread... big deal....

So I just picked up a set of Wizz today. What will I find when I replace my Throbak MC102 set? How will they compare?

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude ,,,,,this thread is old.......:naughty: :D

But I will share with you my opinion....

Very Open, bright and vibrant, much artitulation; meaning the intertwining of harmonics are well ballanced as if the peaks are accentuated a little more, This applies to the wound strings moreso than the plain strings, The plain strings are well defined with that little slap or spank, (depending on how you play and set your amp). They are focused and bright. The Neck is not muddy and they clean up nice whith good pots. They made the Shanks scream...(a bit too much) and they will brighten up a dark guitar alot.

I think my set is a tad bit more microphonic than any other set of anything I have had. And this lends to an over all feeling of airyness.

I prefer it to be on the edge of a squeal where good control is a Requirement. these pickups allow that,

In the distorted metal realm (that I love) these may not be AS versitile but do very well. I won't express an opinion of overdriven pedal soaked distortion.

That help?

Necroposter.....:wave:

mcoLP

Reaction score
Thanks to a forum brother, I managed to snag an older wizz PG model that has been un-PG'ed, magnet-flipped.

While I continue to A/B these against my other pickups (stock BBs, BKP Stormy Mondays, Manalishi, Classic 57's, D'allens and maybe a few more I can dig up in my bin), two things I can say at the moment:

What they all said above ^ and...

H0ly 5h1t...! :wow:

LpCustom2007

Reaction score
Bought a set from Frankv last week, can´t wait for them to show up so I can also give them a try :)

Latest Threads