To nib or not to nib? That is the question.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Look, it's this way.. People buy Chevy Surburbans.. Why are there also Cadillac Escalades? Same basic vehicle.. It's the trim package.. Nothing more or less.. Trim... Same with Nibs.. It's a trim package.

Colnago1

Reaction score
Nibs are the best as the skill required to finish fret ends is no longer needed and therefore the fret ends always feel good. It's hard to complain about poorly finished fret ends when there aren't really fret ends to begin with.

_ZIGGY_

Banned
Reaction score
Meh

I like'em, but they are long gone after a refret.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
I like them myself...they've always had them so why change? I have them on all 3 of my LP's. I think if I ever got a refret I'd keep them.

budg

Reaction score
I like them, but if I had a refret done they would be gone. If Duane Allman didnt care about nibs, why should I ?

RRfireblade

Reaction score
Could care less either way. More LP models don't have them than do so it's certainly not a "LP" thing.

I have had 'em both ways and all things being equal, I'll take the minute amount of additional fret if given the choice. Otherwise....

Pickguard off.
No covers.
Schallers.
Flamed.
In the case.
Cream plastics.
String ends clipped close.
Top wrapped.

Mmm..... That should cover it for a while

zoso623

Reaction score
I have 2 guitars that are great instruments.( 80 goldtop lp and a burny RR) they both have nibs.Its going to kill me to have them re-fretted (they are due soon) .I believe it just takes originality away from them.This is my opinion.I also think its a shame many luthier wont take this on because its difficult... that's like taking your car to a mechanic and he refuses to get dirty.i live in Az nobody will do it..my 2 cents

jlb32

Reaction score
Could care less either way. More LP models don't have them than do so it's certainly not a "LP" thing.

Of course it's a LP thing. Up till last year pretty much every Les Paul ever made that had neck binding had nibs.

50+ years with nibs or 1 year without. Which would you consider more a "LP" thing?

RichBrew

Reaction score
Nibs please. Otherwise how do you recognise a re-fret?

A re-fret can be an indication of a good instrument: something that has been played a lot. It's older guitars in near-pristine condition that tells me that it has not found favour with its owner(s), and therefore languished unloved for any number of reasons.

RichBrew

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A re-fret can be an indication of a good instrument: something that has been played a lot. It's older guitars in near-pristine condition that tells me that it has not found favour with its owner(s), and therefore languished unloved for any number of reasons.

RichBrew

Right on Rich. I refretted an 81 XR1. The frets were worn down literally to the fretboard. Must have has 20,000 hours on it. I figured someone liked it.

R8 Pilot

Reaction score
Nibs are the best as the skill required to finish fret ends is no longer needed and therefore the fret ends always feel good. It's hard to complain about poorly finished fret ends when there aren't really fret ends to begin with.

My exact thoughts as well.

I have experienced too many 2014 Gibsons this year that have had very average fret end finishing.

If Gibson finished the fret end perfect every time then there is no need for them..but they complete a package in appearance for me..so I prefer them on but not a deal breaker.

geezberry

Reaction score
tumblr_m30p13SLNZ1qzi80do1_500.gif

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one Les Paul that came from the factory without nibs and I don't notice it that much. Here's a picture for those like me that need some pictures in their reading material like a 1st grader. :laugh2:

DSC_00132.jpg

Having said that, I do understand the idea of just wanting them because they look nice and are, in a way, supposed to be there on a Les Paul.

... and ... pickguard on, covers on (usually), nickel, 10-46, no top wrap, Schaller, both Grover and Kluson, I do "get it" regarding aging, hang from the wall, vintage caps ... that's all I can think of

Latest Threads