To nib or not to nib? That is the question.

ddh101

Reaction score
Probably beat to death, but I couldn't find any recent threads on the topic.

Nibs are a modern Gibson hallmark on bound necks, but are they better, or just a touch of class? The original Bursts didn't have nibs and they're consider some of the greatest guitars ever built. Some of the '14's went nib-less with considerable outcry. I have LP's with and without - both play great. I'm kind of thinking I wouldn't have heartburn if all LP's went nib-less.

Are nibs on a bound neck LP a necessity for you (for either looks or playability)? Would a no-nibs bound neck LP be a deal breaker? Many of us want the new LP's built more like the original LP's, so then shouldn't we want/support nib-less construction ???

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Here we go...

We'll likely veer off course, violently, hitting obstacles like top-wrapping, tone wood, pick guard removal and bovine flatulence, along the way.

FWIW, I have LPs with and without. I love them all. I can't say as I ever noticed a nib contributing to, or taking away from, my tone.

RichBrew

Reaction score
...Would a no-nibs bound neck LP be a deal breaker? ...

No. My '91 Standard has been refretted; has no nibs as a result, and is all the better for it.

RichBrew

Latearrival

Reaction score
Personally, I rather like them. They are a piece of class that distunguishes LPs from other Guitars, and are one of the things that make LPs "Special" to my eyes!

I don't for one moment think that nibs (or the lack there-of) has any effect on tone or playability, but then again, niether do any of the other LP "trademarks" like body binding, curved tops, pick-guards, or pick-up rings!

If I were buying an new LP now, I would rather buy one with nibs!....

michaelinokc

Reaction score
I heard they discontinued them because Henry kept writing his "b" upside down and it just wasn't funny anymore.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
At what point does it stop being a Les Paul?
If you take away the iconic features and replace them with gadgets or cost/time saving devices,...at what point is it just a single cut style guitar built by Gibson?

For the price they want I want all the iconic features.

...otherwise I'd buy something else ( and save a lot of money )

smurph1

Reaction score
What's a nib? Is it short for niblet? I know what a corn niblet is..

kasu

Reaction score
Said it before... No nibs=No deal. It has nothing to do with playability or logic... A bound Gibson neck without the nibsies is just not right. There are certain attributes that defines a gibby and nibs sure as hell is one. But thats just my opinion...

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
I'd like to see both.

Nibbed on the premium instruments (Traditional and up). Non-nibbed on the midrange instruments (production Special/Classic).

That way, the Classic is a stepping stone between the Studio and Traditional/Standard.

stang90gt

Reaction score
At what point does it stop being a Les Paul?
If you take away the iconic features and replace them with gadgets or cost/time saving devices,...at what point is it just a single cut style guitar built by Gibson?

For the price they want I want all the iconic features.

...otherwise I'd buy something else ( and save a lot of money )

↑ What he said exactly ↑

Sinster

Reaction score
I like nibs on my bound Les Pauls. I'm not a fan of binding, but don't mind it with the nibs. I like that all Wood Les Paul, but having no nibs is a deal breaker for me. Yes I know it's something small.

6stringmofo

Reaction score
They look pretty, but I don't notice them at while I play.

6stringmofo

Reaction score
They do look classy!

Attachments

• DSC06975.jpg
    DSC06975.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 48

Latest Threads