To Firebird, or not to Firebird...

gball

Reaction score
Definitely get a Firebird. I say start with a reverse to get the neckthrough - there is really no other guitar quite like them. Between the pickups and the construction they have the most unique sound, kind of a hybrid hot Tele and Gibson thing, and the neckthrough gives them the most insane sustain of any guitar I've played. I got my first 'bird in 2016, a Firebird V. Since then I've gotten a Firebird I and a non-reverse with the Firebird pickups. They are huge and unwiedly but they feel to damn great so play you won't care.

Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
True Firebird pickups are totally great and essential to the sound of all the players mentioned. I'm an absolute Firebird lover, and owned a Bicentennial (1976) for years. Kal David with Etta James had about the best guitar tone I've ever heard live (exception: SRV) and he was pure Firebird. I sold mine, though, because I cannot stand the massively excessive size, which gets really annoying to me. But those true lead players who command more space on stage and in the band balance can use the flamboyant Firebird incredibly. I remember seeing Blind Faith live, with Clapton and Winwood playing twin Firebirds on "Had to Cry Today." Nothing like it. BTW, the neck on mine was truly wonderful to play.

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
Come on, man, that's not a Firebird in it's real sense. Look at it as a trial run for something like an offset-bird-alike.
At the moment I have two custom built
Firebirds_Aa.jpg
Firebirds_Back.jpg
Fbirds with Alnico 5 Minis and reverse headstock. Don't tell me a Fbird should sport ordinary humbuckers ...baaaahh:noway::Ohno:

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
dont fight it ..go buy one..sold one of these over 20 years ago...took me till last year to find another i could afford..

1972 firebird medallion series, 366 made that year....this needs work but plays perfect, original pickups are in and replaced one pot with correct datefrom 72.....it plays perfect for me....got the original case with the medallion on that as well...the owner routed it for humbucks so for now i am goign to leave it alone...who knows maybe i will want to try a set in there...

1993 FB which is all stock, plays great

2018 Epiphone JB with a SD Antiquity pickup which is a huge improvement, new pickguard i made, i like it

they are great guitars, you will love em or hate'm

we like the haters as they sell them off and we vultures swoop in for the meat !!!

3fb.jpg

edit wtf???? says pics are too big...thats what she said...hold on....brb

Last edited:

scrumm21

Silver Supporter
Reaction score

I saw vid from NAMM this past weekend showing Gibson Custom Shop aged version of Johnny's White Firebird

..At The 6:45 mark

judson

Reaction score
I’ve never owned one but I’ve always liked the look... played one a couple times at a local shop. Not nearly long enough for a real test drive but it had a good feel... I’m quite tempted to take the plunge
op you posted this a month ago....lets see your firebird !!!!!! :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

jb_abides

Reaction score
I jumped on the 2013 Firebird, because almost impossible to find Lefty in vintage, or Custom Shop unless you go M2M... the Steinberger gearless tuners and ceramics were a very acceptable spec given you were getting the essential neck-through platform, and the neck is just awesome (although never compared to vintage, of course).

I actually like the tuners versus the banjo. No need for vintage swaps, and not sure if anyone makes updated ones which emulate the looks without the tuning issues I've heard of.

As for the ceramic minis, well I've been too lazy to swap, it's a back-burner project to get some Lollar os Duncan F-Bird pups in there...

But everyone needs a FB experience!

judson

Reaction score
I jumped on the 2013 Firebird, because almost impossible to find Lefty in vintage, or Custom Shop unless you go M2M... the Steinberger gearless tuners and ceramics were a very acceptable spec given you were getting the essential neck-through platform, and the neck is just awesome (although never compared to vintage, of course).

I actually like the tuners versus the banjo. No need for vintage swaps, and not sure if anyone makes updated ones which emulate the looks without the tuning issues I've heard of.

As for the ceramic minis, well I've been too lazy to swap, it's a back-burner project to get some Lollar os Duncan F-Bird pups in there...

But everyone needs a FB experience!
i like the Sd Antiquity in the epi and also bought a set of lollars for a Fb like partscaster i put together, both are great.

actually i thought the Steinbergers were going to suck as the prior owner put them in the 72 i posted above

but i will admit they are great , they are a breeze to change strings, keep tune and fine tuning with a slight twist, they are not original to that year but i am going to leave them in for awhile

here are the lollar P90's i missed a set of FBirds minis on ebay awhile back that were a great deal

lollarsFB.jpg

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I think a later model sunburst will be I’ll opt for.. I did try a 17 Standard T at a local shop that’s still brand new and it had the burger tuners on it.. they’re real easy to tune with.. yeah local shops here even have 2015s on the wall that never sold lol and still listed at full retail .... sooo sad

jb_abides

Reaction score
If you can find a late model at a decent price, that's the ticket!

2015 - Make sure you are familiar with specs and ideally try 2015s if you see nice prices. Wider neck and brass nut/zero fret.

2014 - has the 120th anniversary inlay, if that bothers you. Deals to be found.

2013s - the re-intro to USA year, these are the preferred non-Custom Shop option IMHO.

IF you can deal with / mod / or desire robs-tuners, ZF nut, and extra cladding, deals can be struck on the HPs.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Even though I do like the Pelham blue ones from 2017... sunburst would be my first choice.. for some reason the reds and blacks don’t do it for me... a white one would be sweet too

wmachine

Reaction score
.........local shops here even have 2015s on the wall that never sold lol and still listed at full retail .... .

If you can find a late model at a decent price, that's the ticket!..................
2015 - Make sure you are familiar with specs and ideally try 2015s if you see nice prices. Wider neck and brass nut/zero fret.
I have a 2015 and really like it. The only thing that needs consideration is the wider neck. If you're good with that, the rest of it is really on the plus side, Like real MOP inlays and titanium saddles. A lot of the pluses in the specs got lost in the market because it is a 2015. The brass nut can and should be replaced, Gibson gave out free titanium replacements (I'm using that), and there are Tusk replacement nuts that drop in too. Makes that adjustable nut a plus too IMO. The gold anniversary case is one big case!
Anyway, at a discount, of course, as they really jacked up the original price on the 2015.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
The Firebird that they had was a Pelham blue 17 Standard T model.. some of the Les Pauls they had were 15s. I did give the LP Junior a try and I’ll say, not a fan of the wider neck. The fretboard on the Firebird looked terrible.. it looked like current fretboards on Epiphones. Some people like light colored boards.. I’m not one of those people but to each is their own. They have a 17 SG Standard there it has the same looking board.

judson

Reaction score
it seems the Pelham Blue you can get a deal on them, either they made too many or not many like them.....

you see the husks available in Pelham Blue all day long and actually a few others if your into building your own with a Gibson husk to start...i prefer it really for most guitars