To Buy A New LP or Not!

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
I was in my local guitar center with a friend who is buying a Vintage Mahogany Les Paul, and I noticed a red les paul behind the counter. It looked gorgeous! Gold hardware and a black pickups with gold screws and white rings it is 1700 but I don't know if I should try and sell something like my Studio or Pete Townshend SG to get it.

What I am asking is what exactly is this les paul? It looks kind of like the Red Sparkle pictured here

LPStdSparkleRed6.jpg

Are these guitars rare? Would it be wise to sell my Townshend SG everyone is telling me no because theres only 250 in the world, but I simply don't play it and I feel it would be better to have a guitar that I'd use and play instead of a collectors piece...I'm very confused and I could use some help and information!

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
Fixed, it has uncovered black humbuckers though with gold screws, thats not the one in the store but it looks very very similar.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
They aren't exactly common. I'm guessing someone simply took the covers off the pups. I'd say 1700 is pretty good for a sparkle top.

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
I'd definatly have to trade my SG as my family wouldn't let me sell something on ebay and I dont have the funds for that kinda guitar but the issue is the only guitar that I have that could get the money for it would be my Pete Townshend SG, and its a collectors item but I dont play...thats why Im confused

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
Yeah I'm leaning that way Im a player and I take pride in owning guitars and playing them all, however in 2yrs of owning my Townshend SG i've played maybe 20hrs on it compared to like 200+hrs on my Jimmy Page that I've owned less then the SG. I'm going to go to Guitar Center tommorow and play it and if I like it I will trade my SG i think maybe...I still feel foolish cause I know in the long run the Townshend will be worth more being a collectors guitar and all but it isnt about collecting is it! Its about playing

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
some of my friends are slowly making me feel guilty about thinking about selling my SG, it was a gift from a family friend but I feel like it would be better to use that gift for something I would really like. I'm so bad at making decisions!

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
I agree that it should be used for something that you play and really enjoy. Friends have good intentions, but they aren't always right.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sparkle tops are for real men,,,:thumb:

Mr Insane

Reaction score
Heads up,I doubt GC will give your SG a fair trade in value.

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
Heads up,I doubt GC will give your SG a fair trade in value.

Im hoping since im pretty much a regular there and have spent alot of cash on gear there that they will at least give me 2k for the sg, since I paid 4 for it. I'm gonna check out the LP tommorow they have a gorgeous tobaccoburst as well...decisions, decisions...

Mr Insane

Reaction score
I hope you'll be satisfied in whatever your decision will be.

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
I hope you'll be satisfied in whatever your decision will be.

Thank you I hope so too! I want a guitar that feels as right as my JPP, that guitar just feels perfect for me in my hands...I guess its just THE ONE...but I can be hopefully that I can find two of THE ONES cant I!:laugh2:

eaglewolf

Reaction score
Guitar Center is notoriously bad about trade-in value, offering me 1/4 of what I paid for something I bought there a short time ago, and I've spent quite a bit of money there and was looking at dropping well over $2000 on a new amp. Centre City Music offered me full trade-in value for my R9 if I'd trade up to a 50th anniversary model, but mine looks so much better I couldn't do that. (I bought an ES-335 instead!) Besides, I didn't see it doing much for me other than spending more money and being able to say I had a 50th anniversary model.

If that guitar works better for you, by all means go for it. No sense in keeping something you are not going to get any use out of unless it is for collectable or sentimental value. But really, I think collectablity is over-rated for most guitars, primarily benefitting dealers who jack up the prices. (You are already talking about losing 50% on your SG.) Getting something that will be a greater asset to you makes sense to me.

I just wouldn't trade your guitar at GC unless you get a killer deal.

David

Torren61

Reaction score
Don't do it, Kid. GC will tear you a new one, regular or not. Hang onto the Townsend until the economy recovers and then sell it if you must or find a buddy that'll trade you.

DurtyDevil

Reaction score
I was actually in that GC in Larchmont and saw the exact guitar you were talking about. It's the one behind the register, right? I saw it there this past Saturday. Maybe it's me, but I swear the one in GC wasn't a sparkle finish. I prefer to do my guitar shopping up in Alto music in the Hudson Valley; everyone there is really cool and their prices are great. If you get chance, I think they would give you a way better deal than GC. However, I have dealt with Chris in GC in Larchmont, and he has always given me half of the original value of my guitars when I've traded. To be honest though, I've only traded my Epiphones, never a Gibson there. Good luck in whatever you decide, but don't let them take you for a ride.

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
I was actually in that GC in Larchmont and saw the exact guitar you were talking about. It's the one behind the register, right? I saw it there this past Saturday. Maybe it's me, but I swear the one in GC wasn't a sparkle finish. I prefer to do my guitar shopping up in Alto music in the Hudson Valley; everyone there is really cool and their prices are great. If you get chance, I think they would give you a way better deal than GC. However, I have dealt with Chris in GC in Larchmont, and he has always given me half of the original value of my guitars when I've traded. To be honest though, I've only traded my Epiphones, never a Gibson there. Good luck in whatever you decide, but don't let them take you for a ride.

Yeah thats exactly it! Perhaps it wasnt a sparkle I did a fast search for les pauls in red and those were the most common pictures so I assumed it was the lighting that made it look non-sparkly. Ive never been to Alto music, I'm going to go to the Larchmont GC tommorow. I don't know Chris but I know the guy Derek that used to work the floor he sold me 90% of all my gear, hopefully he will be around if not I am going with my Grandfather and he used to be in the Used Furniture Business he's the king of haggling:laugh2: Hopefully I get a good deal, Its a gorgeous les paul!

guitarbob123

Reaction score
sell the guitar to centre city music if they'll have it.
saul should be glad to have a townshend sg and he knows he'll shift it so you could probbably get a good price from them or you can ebay it with a reserve.
get the guitar that plays better not the one that looks prettier or will be worth more

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Screw GC.

You outta just test the gear out you're interested in, and find the stuff on craigslist or the local want ads. There's waaaayyy too much used gear going for great prices right now in the hands of owners who want to be rid of it.

78' Gibson Les Paul Studio

gibson les paul studio guitar WITH hardshell case!!!!

Gibson Custom VOS 1960 LP Special

Gibson Les Paul Heritage 80 Elite

Gibson Les Paul Custom

Gibson Historic VOS R9 LP - 1959 Les Paul

2000 Gibson ES 335 AAA FLAME - RARE!!

1978 Gibson Les paul Custom Classic, perfect players guitar

2001 Gibson Les Paul Custom

Latest Threads