To Anyone Who Has Played a Vintage Les Paul

lpfan1980

Reaction score
If anyone has been lucky enough to play a 1950's or 1960s Les Paul they look to be SO MUCH FUN TO PLAY i know they sound awesome but are they as enjoyable as they look

Attachments

Mike J.

Reaction score
Played a 53 Goldtop and it was extremely enjoyable.
BUT playing my beloved 58 True Historic I must admit it feels as great as the vintage thing. Really, the TH series brings that feeling.

dspelman

Reaction score
I don't mean to be the "too cool for school" guy, but I've played right around 30 separate serial numbers of original burst, and they're mostly just...old Les Pauls. The reason they became so sought after is that they were the only ones of the entire run of LPs that had large frets *and* humbuckers and the burst paint job. And then Gibson stopped making them. And then folks like Clapton started looking for them. And because it took Gibson forever again to produce a Standard with large frets, full-size humbuckers and a burst paint job. And because, by then, Gibson had some strange ideas about LP design "improvements."

At this point, they command big bucks NOT because they sound so great, but because they have all that history behind them.

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Only one I've ever played was a '52: Didn't care for it. It had a tinny tone to it, I'm thinking that's the fault of the tailpiece; the pick-ups buzzed like a 70's Strat, and the V-shaped neck didn't fit my hand well.

I'd love to try a '56 or a '54-'56 Custom.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Meh - they're alright.

;)I first saw a video of a 1959 burst being played acoustically it sounded so cheerful it made me grin I finally saw what everyone was talking about amps who needs em!

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Played a 56 Custom that was everything you would expect perfection to be. Played another and it was firewood. Guitars are individual creatures. Each one is different, and no two are the same.
Just because it's from the "golden age" (Cue the angels and heavens opening up.) Doesn't make it that much more special then something produced today. Back then, it was a instrument to fill the needs of a growing group of guitar players who wanted electric. Nothing special, just follow the diagrams, paint it this color, and ship it. Pretty much the same as today. But because it's from that "Golden Age" (damn angels....) it's somehow magical. Some were just not good.

AJK1

Reaction score
I owned a 72 Gibson Les Paul Custom (see avatar) and as good as it was, my current Tokai Jap Love Rocks are better guitars
But i think a Sunburst from 58-60 would be something else

BSeneca

Reaction score
They SOUND incredible. At least in my case early Goldtops like mine have tiny frets so my historic and 58 Junior technically play better or shall I say “easier” bend wise. I do plan on a refret. I have held back and tried to get next to the little frets. But it is my tool and it needs to play as best as possible. I just did some studio work on Sunday. 4 different style tracks. Played it for all of them with none to varying levels of gain. It fits the bill every time. Total joy to own and play. Early P-90’s ROCK!

goldtop0

Reaction score
I've played a bunch of 57-60s over the years but never owned one.
Out of about the 15-20 I've A/B'd I'd say there were 3 that I would have gone for if I'd had the dough.
These were played at guitar shows in the US and in most cases the LPs needed a refret.
I've owned a number of Historics over the years and find these good value for money compared to their vintage counterparts that are hellishly expensive.
If I did buy a vintage it'd most probably be a '56 or '53........love that P90 sound.

Last edited:

d1m1

Reaction score
Hell yes! The good ones are imo "better" than new ones. But i´ve played a few reissues which killed many old ones. All in all imo the 50ies ones are "better" in many ways, plus you have that indescribable feeling of playing the real deal which inspires you to play.

Last edited:

andreww

Reaction score
I think the idea that they sound great is more perception than reality. Bursts are generally owned by accomplished players, and they are always played through killer amps, no doubt they sound great. But I've listened to head to head comparisons with modern historics and don't think one sounded any better than the other. Great guitars for sure, and I love anything that's old, but put one in my hands and I'll make it sound as sh1tty as any Epiphone.