Titanium zero fret nut

Robmosis

Reaction score
Just curious what some of you think about this nut. Pros and cons. To my machinist brain, having a fully adjustable nut seems like a no-brainer. Tone loss or enhancement? Thanks

Ripthorn

Reaction score
Any adjustment, unless incredibly well executed, can result in energy loss and thus "tone suck".

Justin_Case

Reaction score
I've owned 6 or 7 2015 or High Performance LPs . Brass or Titanium Zero Nuts were a non-issue. . They all intonated fine and were fit well.

The Robotics on the Brass ones were not a good thing - Brass just too soft for all the tuning action done. When it comes time for replacement, I'd much rather screw in a new one that was machined in 5 minutes than the headache of a cutting in a new nut.

Neck width / shape is a personal thing - no right or wrong. All in all after 5 minutes of playing I'd forget about the neck and get caught up in the sound.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I really like Titanium adjustable nuts, and prefer them over synthetics on an electric guitar. If I want higher action it’s really easy to adjust with a turn of the Allen Key. It’s not about fitting the nut. That’s already been done. The adjustment is simple.

Another advantage of the Zero fret is the open strings sound the same as fretted notes. I have this on a banjo too and it’s a great feature.

I also prefer the sound of metal strings on a metal nut- it’s subtle but noticeable. You can also dial in a sitar tone!

Im in a fortunate position because I like the wider fingerboards (soloist width) of the HP series, and the fact that most people don’t like them means that these guitars with many upgrades can sometimes be found for near half what newer “vintage” style guitars cost.

The wider neck isn’t that much wider to be very noticeable, nowhere near a classical guitar, and it allows pull offs, hammers, bends and vibratos to be played more easily and aggressively without the strings being pulled off the fingerboard.

I know you weren’t asking about the G force but it’s nice when it works (if it works!) Changing it out is easy, and can be done with hipshot tuners without drilling if need be.

smk506

Reaction score
I love the adjustable nut on my 2015.

It works great, makes it super easy to dial in perfect action and can take any gauge string set from 8’s to 13’s IIRC.

Tone suck?

Nah, I’d bet a nickel if I was just handing you guitars to play and you weren’t looking or feeling around up there you’d never notice.

I like it so much I went out and got a zero fret kit for my strat, tele, and a LP.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
To me a titanium nut adds some tone- possibly since metal to metal contact is more resonant than metal to plastic. I can definitely hear it acoustically and when amped. There’s also a sympathetic harmonic resonance at the zero fret, if the action is set a certain way, which may or may not be desirable.

As a player, an adjustable zero fret nut is a major improvement for metal stringed guitars imo, mostly due to convenience of being able to quickly raise or lower the action, and it also adds something to the sound, or changes it in a way that sounds good to my ears.

It seems most people would rather have more traditional nuts re-fit or re-cut for different reasons, and both options are certainly fine- it’s good to have choices. I can see where a luthier might not want to work with a titanium nut though.

Robmosis

Reaction score
I love the adjustable nut on my 2015.

It works great, makes it super easy to dial in perfect action and can take any gauge string set from 8’s to 13’s IIRC.

Tone suck?

Nah, I’d bet a nickel if I was just handing you guitars to play and you weren’t looking or feeling around up there you’d never notice.

I like it so much I went out and got a zero fret kit for my strat, tele, and a LP.
Who makes that kit? I love to have it on my Strat also. Thanks

smk506

Reaction score
It’s from a company called Zero Glide, Stew Mac has them;

I got them cheaper from amazon though if I remember right.

Latest Threads