Tired of comic book movies

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I see 'The Titan' and 'Attack on Titan',... I dont' see anything called 'Titans' on Netflix. :dunno:

Looks like DC Titans is only available OUTSIDE the US on Netflix. They got international rights to it.

And the DC Streaming site, only streams in the US.
It is available to download on torrent sites that support TV content.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looks like DC Titans is only available OUTSIDE the US on Netflix. They got international rights to it.

And the DC Streaming site, only streams in the US.
It is available to download on torrent sites that support TV content.

upload_2019-1-28_15-48-4.png

:cheers2:

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’ve seen much “right wing morality” in any of these films.

(But that’s another subject.....;))

Superhero comics were only permitted to survive in the 1950s because they aligned with the values of the right wing government. The highly controversial horror and sci-fi stories of EC Comics were considered to be dangerously subversive and a bad influence, while superhero comics (with the one exception of Batman and Robin's relationship) escaped unscathed due to the moral absolutism and generally patriotic moral stance of "be a good person by beating the shit out of the bad guys."

But superhero comics have always been political, to some extent or another. The earliest Superman stories were boldly left-wing, to an extent modern publishers don't dare attempt. Superman was a true Social Justice Warrior, tearing down corruption by beating the crap out of the 1%. Meanwhile, Captain America was the escapist fantasy of Jewish immigrants who wanted to beat the shit out of Nazis. Superhero comics got their start as an outlet for disillusioned and disgruntled outcasts to write and draw their fantasies.

It got even more political in the 60s, when the X-Men were used as a metaphor for racism in the midst of the Civil Rights movement while Iron Man was conceived as an American arms dealer who targeted Communists to keep them from using his weapons. Marvel Comics were very hip to the times, more sophisticated than the simple escapism of DC comics in the 30s and 40s.

And the books that are widely considered the two greatest superhero comics of all time, Alan Moore's Watchmen and Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, prominently feature modern political features in their stories and examine the political impacts of superheroes. In particular, Miller presents Batman as an authoritarian who enforces his own morals on Gotham City through violence and presents Ronald Reagan as a senile moron who orders Superman to bring him down.

The movies typically play it safe, but Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy definitely leans right rather than left if it has a political slant at all.

PeteK

Reaction score
I think they peaked with the first Avengers movie. The 158 movies that followed got a bit lost in the mix. Deadpool did kind of shake things up quite a bit by making fun of the genre though and I just recently watched Deadpool 2 and it was just as good as the first. But yeah, other than that, the genre is getting pretty worn out.

Latest Threads