Tired of comic book movies

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I’m part of the 5% of people in this world when I say this, but I’m so tired of comic book movies and people losing their marbles every time a new one comes out. People act like the stories are equivalent to Shakespere, but they’re really simplistic and made for kids ages 8-11. The acting in these films is also average at best with the exception of the Christian Bale Batman movies.

I understand it’s a nostalgia thing for a lot of people, but other than that, what’s there to enjoy assuming you’re over the age of 11? Every superhero movie follows the same format. Good guy gets super powers, good guy fights bad guy with super powers, good guy wins 99.99% of the time.

I’m terms of being a story/book for kids, Harry Potter IMHO blows any comic book out of the water, and I’m not even a fan of it. I just know it’s more well thought out and put together than the story of a man who turns green, gets huge, then fights crime when he’s pissed.

So go ahead other 95% of this world, flame me.

Last edited:

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Also tired. I like comic book movies like Road to Perdition and Logan.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Nahhh. I'm on your side. Never been to a 'comic book movie'. Grew out of comics around.....yeah, 10-12y/o. No appeal at all. But, hey, whatever floats yer boat. They've proved to be popular.
I like 'em, but I don't live for them. I usually see them on Netflix or other streaming service. Rarely see them on the big screen, way too expensive. I do think some take them a little too far, maybe live around them too much. Adults dressing up in costumes, buying toys (err...collectable figurines). Weird. Goes with the whole 'refusing to grow up', Peter-Pan society we live in. It's fun to have your 'mental Doritos', but some parts of childhood I'm glad to have left behind.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
I agree, but the sad thing is, they wouldn't make them if they didn't make money.

its sad that in today's society, someone would rather long to be Spiderman than Captain Miller.

05jrock

Reaction score
The last superhero movie I was was Glass, saw it at the cinema last weekend, Highly recommend watching it if you get the chance.
Glass is the best superhero movie I have seen. Although they may have not been superheros but they had special powers

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They got old, very old. Very fast. Enough already. But, you can't blame the studios, they are just giving the little children what they want and laughing all the way to the bank.

In related news, there's a new Liam Neeson film out, now. Really? Another one? FML

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
I like some of them.

Me too...i'll give most of them a chance.

They are just fun...you gotta watch em for what they are. They are intended to be fun and exciting and to remove you from the real world for a couple of hours. Most of them tick those boxes for me, but they aren't my fav movies of all time or anything.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Movies are entertainment they're not films.
Films are art; movies are fun.

Don't watch a movie expecting a film.

(American movies/films in general have about seven actual stories they tell over and over. Once you notice it it's hard not to notice it.)

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For the most part I have to agree. But Godzilla and Cloverfield type movies are awesome!

Meatwad

Reaction score
I like the junk food analogy.

I really liked the first Iron Man movie, and a few of the other Marvel offerings, but for me, Watchmen is still the best superhero/comic book movie to date.

Not for kiddies.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well Hollywood makes 99.9% of American movies, so....

as for the collectibles comment, I collect Godzilla figures, but I'm not stuck in childhood. I wasn't stuck in childhood when I actually was a child. And I didn't collect them as a kid because they're too expensive. :laugh2:

Everyone I know collects something. Watches, Xmas ornaments, Guitars, Tools...everyone I know has more then a few of something they really don't need, but want and enjoy buying more of.

Show me someone who doesn't collect anything, and I'll show you a pretty boring dude.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
buying toys (err...collectable figurines). Weird. Goes with the whole 'refusing to grow up', Peter-Pan society we live in.

There's more to it than that. Check out the current ebay auction below for an $800 toy! These things are collectables, no different than guitars and amps.

cloverfield_ebay.jpg

I bought a $100 Gamera toy.

full

pnuggett

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quit reading comic books when I became a teenager. Don't give a rat's ass about the comic book movies.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Show me someone who doesn't collect anything, and I'll show you a pretty boring dude.
I have a love for pedals, but that's about it. I use everything I own or it's up for sale. I guess I'm boring? (fair game if you're talking about my playing!)

Latest Threads