Tips in a band

Weldaar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I play in this cover band that has a tip can on stage when we play. I find it tacky. With that said, some places do tip us. The problem I have is that some of our regular venues are not calling us back. Band does sound very good, so I know it's not that. Could it be the tacky Tip can in front of the band? Opinions please.

Weldaar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
LOL Get good feedback from owners and crowd. Confused then. I mean we have played there many times over the last 7 months. Go figure.

Chango Malo

where's that confounded bridge?
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's not the reason you're not getting called back. Unless your frontman is talking about the tip jar between every other tune. In my home band (scots/irish trad and pub stuff, about half stuff we've written) we'll have a tip jar for requests. Because while we can play 'whisky in the jar' at the drop of a hat, it's gonna take more than the drunk knuckler yelling it out for us to play it. We do something a bit different though, in the first set we'll 'spin a wheel' of local charities to determine where the tips go. People dump cash in the jug for a specific charity and they get to hear their worn out tunes. win win all around.

good feedback from drunks doesn't mean squat. good feedback from owners doesn't mean much more. good feedback from the bartender means more. But it's not the tip jar. It's something else. Might not be the band's performance. Could be you have a hidden jerk in the band who plays well on stage and shoots their mouth off to staff when not on stage. There's a local band that has this issue; the singer gets a bit harsh after he's had a few drinks and isn't smart enough to figure out he's not on stage to drink. Drinks just enough to loosen up the brakes on his mouth and poof his band isn't on the first call list for gigs. Could be you guys load in slow or something and impact business that way. Or the bar doesn't sell more beer when you're there than when you're not.
In short, there's more to playing bar gigs and getting called back than the actual music. Much, much more.

Weldaar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hear loud and clear what you are saying. Yeah, maybe our front guy does talk a bit much between songs. I believe we should just play, with a bit of chatter, very little. And yes, he does drink on stage. The rest of the band does not drink. We usually set up within 30 minutes and we do have a very good rapport with servers and bartenders. Might have to look a bit closer at what's going on at the gigs. Thank you for your insight.

Chango Malo

where's that confounded bridge?
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
turn off the bold/italics.

Without show video, no one can say if it's on-stage stuff.
Try asking the bookers.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I worked in bars that featured nightly live music for many years.

I saw a couple of bands that I thought were excellent when it came to musical proficiency and sound quality that were never invited to return simply because the genre they specialized in or their set lists weren't in keeping with the type of crowd the venue tended to attract.

We had one country band that was really, really great... probably one of the best groups I ever heard that specialized in that genre. They only played once in all the years that I was on hand as an employee. Asked the owner why, and her answer was that "Bikers don't really care for country".

I told her that I knew a lot of bikers who preferred country, and she shrugged and said, "Probably true-- but the regulars here aren't overly fond of country and so we're not going to be hiring that band again."

Another time we had a group that did a lot of 90's material... Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Third Eye Blind, Rage Against the Machine, and so forth. I was very impressed with what a talented bunch this group really was, and how versatile they were, musically speaking.

Once again I learned that they wouldn't be invited back-- and this time I heard that the audience really hated them.

I was very surprised. I liked them a lot, even though the 90's was by no means my favorite era when it came to music.

It was weird, but true: the people who were regulars at this particular bar were all guys my age (and older), and all they wanted to hear was the SOS from the 60's, 70's, and early 80's.

So maybe your band just doesn't fit with the audience you're likely to encounter at the bars you've been playing.

But I agree with others that if you're not being called back, it's not the tip jar that is keeping that from happening.

--R

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's exactly what Freddy G said.

If you get people to drink, encourage them to buy a beer, if the bar does more sales than usual while you're there (enough to recoup the cost of paying you PLUS make increased profits on booze beyond a normal night,) you will be invited back.

One cheap trick is to do a toast with the audience before your last couple songs. A bit of banter, everyone raise your glass, yada yada,... makes a bunch of people order another drink.

It's not about the music it's 100% about making the bar sell booze. That's it, that's all that matters to bar owners.

You could be the greatest band in the world, if you're not increasing the booze sales you're not worth it to them. They'll find a group that does, or they'll hire a DJ who will work all night for cheap spinning records off a laptop.

..is what it is.

Weldaar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, all good advice. We play a mix of all kinds of music, Classic Rock from 60's to 90's everything is dance-able, even do a bit of country. I am baffled by it. Like i said we have been booked at several places many times. We even add new songs not to sound boring to those who have heard us before. I guess we'll have to regroup and look within. We always remind the patrons to remember their servers and bartenders. There is, in my opinion too much chatter between songs. I will take all of your advice and see what happens in the future. Thanx all.

Weldaar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
LOL Can still rock brother

Last edited:

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Brutal thread, but the OP is taking it in stride.

Are bars not reaching out to you, or not returning your calls? Two different things. The only other thing that matters is whether they're doing better business when you're there. One thing to consider is if you're still trying to rock loud today, you may be driving off customers who want to chat and share Instagram and Vine shits with each other. It's a different scene than it was 20 years ago.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I play in this cover band that has a tip can on stage when we play. I find it tacky. With that said, some places do tip us. The problem I have is that some of our regular venues are not calling us back. Band does sound very good, so I know it's not that. Could it be the tacky Tip can in front of the band? Opinions please.

Why are you shouting?

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Your job as a bar band.

Your job as a dinner/lounge band.

Your job providing music for art films.

Your job in as a worship band.

If you aren't doing the job you probably won't get the calls.

Last edited:

Weldaar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Brutal thread, but the OP is taking it in stride.

Are bars not reaching out to you, or not returning your calls? Two different things. The only other thing that matters is whether they're doing better business when you're there. One thing to consider is if you're still trying to rock loud today, you may be driving off customers who want to chat and share Instagram and Vine shits with each other. It's a different scene than it was 20 years ago.
Yeah, we call and they sometimes they do not call back. I do not think we are that loud. I use a 20 watt Friedman and barely get past two volume wise. Everyone dances and seems to enjoy our music. We are all in our 60’s so to me it isn’t that loud anyway.

Latest Threads