Tip jars/buckets

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would never dream of putting out a tip bucket at a paying gig. In fact, if I were a club owner I would forbid a band from doing that.

Chango Malo

where's that confounded bridge?
Reaction score
Three of our "regular gigs" match our tips. Of course, we're donating our tips to charity every single time. We never keep tips.

NotScott

Reaction score
The last couple bands I have been in would not even think of putting out a tip bucket. It just feels like begging to me.

That being said, one particular club my last band played at had a rather "colorful" owner who loved us. One night, she not only put out a tip jar for us but she went around the bar actively soliciting tips for us! It was so embarrassing. I never heard the end of it from my friends and band followers after that.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
The last couple bands I have been in would not even think of putting out a tip bucket. It just feels like begging to me.

That being said, one particular club my last band played at had a rather "colorful" owner who loved us. One night, she not only put out a tip jar for us but she went around the bar actively soliciting tips for us! It was so embarrassing. I never heard the end of it from my friends and band followers after that.

Agreed, and as much as I love local bands and music, I would instantly put a band with a tip jar on my "won't go see again" list.

Chango Malo

where's that confounded bridge?
Reaction score
That's different.

yup. It's a thing I hope catches on. You wouldn't believe what a couple of hundred bucks means to a local charity.

We did an Irish festival last fall down in southern Washington and raised over a grand with CD sales. Didn't cost us anything since we just did a quick mix of 10 tunes from a show we did a couple months before at the pub that sponsored the festival. The festival fronted the $$ for the CD production costs and matched the proceeds. We walked into the local food bank with a check for over 2 large and we thought the tears would never end.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
It's just tacky. I feel like a panhandler on the side of the road with one of those things in front of the stage.

Exactly. I (like a lot of us here who gig, I'm sure) am fortunate enough to not be in a position to be gigging for the money. Don't get me wrong...it's nice, but if I feel like a place doesn't pay enough then I will just politely decline the gig. We deserve to get paid for what we do, but that's between us and the employer, and has zero to do with the patrons.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
yup. It's a thing I hope catches on. You wouldn't believe what a couple of hundred bucks means to a local charity.

We did an Irish festival last fall down in southern Washington and raised over a grand with CD sales. Didn't cost us anything since we just did a quick mix of 10 tunes from a show we did a couple months before at the pub that sponsored the festival. The festival fronted the $$ for the CD production costs and matched the proceeds. We walked into the local food bank with a check for over 2 large and we thought the tears would never end.

I've done some charity gigs...they are very rewarding and gratifying. That's a cool thing you are doing!

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a tip bucket. If you see it as tacky or begging, then don't do it...
You are not begging folks to tip. It is merely a mention that it is there if they are so inclined.
If one makes a big deal out of it, THEN it is tacky.

Had folks walk up to the stage with a request and drop a twenty in the bucket....sometimes smaller, sometimes larger. They seem to like doing it. We never ask for tips. Just happens.

If you don't like it, don't do it.... It's a bar, not a production of Faust....

Latest Threads