Tiny "scratch"? on the fretboard binding of my Les Paul

Daydreamz

Reaction score
So after i played today i took a look at my guitar and i noticed that the fretboard has some new "crack" on it, it's not really noticeable but once you see it it kinda sucks, Should i worry about it? or is it just a "cosmetical" mark? The guitar always sits on the stand in my room and i'm trying to be really careful and i dont know where this crap came from...

Also whats the best way to clean the rust/dust that collects on the guitar bridge/saddle and body parts through time?

tzd

Reaction score
There is a layer of nitro finish on the side of the binding. Looks like some of it is chipping off.

Daydreamz

Reaction score
So what can i do about it? damn... its a 2018 model les paul

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Really?

If you want it to stay absolutely perfect, spend some money and have that little tiny speck of flaked off nitro clear coat fixed, and then put it away in the case and never touch it again!

JK, but honestly, guitars are for playing and they get worn and show signs of being played. that'll smooth out as you play it more.

And the dust/rust on the bridge is just patina. It's gonna happen to some folks more than others depending on how they sweat. You can clean it when you change strings, but not a lot to do for the rusty bits really but replace. But why?

Got a little missing on mine too, but it doesn't bother me.

image0 (3).jpeg

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Dings, dents,chips and scratches happen. Try not to worry about them. They are an indication that you use your guitar.

Exactly. If I'm buying a used or vintage guitar, and it doesn't look like it's been played much, It's either a dog, or something else going on.

Used = Good. Abused = Not good.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is my 1978 LP Custom..... in 1982 ( my second year of owning this guitar ).... during a summer gig the band I was in were playing our version of LZs “Rock and Roll”..... the ending drum fill was exciting moment for our drummer.

I was playing my “Leo” reissue Standard and my Custom was waiting on its stand for its moment...... during that heated drum fill a crash cymbal launched off its stand and did this.
68837081-0B3B-40D9-9C56-0D6B284862CD.jpeg

Over the years it has worn down to this.

Did I freak?.... no not really..... I played it without any concern (and still do)... I don’t feel that chips or dents have any threat to my instruments.... my guitars... my opinion.... so your circumstance is something only you can answer.;)

laterider

Reaction score
This is my 1978 LP Custom..... in 1982 ( my second year of owning this guitar ).... during a summer gig the band I was in were playing our version of LZs “Rock and Roll”..... the ending drum fill was exciting moment for our drummer.

I was playing my “Leo” reissue Standard and my Custom was waiting on its stand for its moment...... during that heated drum fill a crash cymbal launched off its stand and did this.
View attachment 456915

Did I freak?.... no not really..... I played it without any concern (and still do)... I don’t feel that chips or dents have any threat to my instruments.... my guitars... my opinion.... so your circumstance is something only you can answer.;)
Man,
I miss the days of playing "Rock and Roll" with my band in 80 & 81. Memories that I still have and quite a few battle scars on my SG from those days, I remember when the mike stand fell over and it left an imprint of the mike windscreen on the front of my guitar. The scars never bothered me either it was all about the good tunes and times!

endial

Reaction score

View attachment 456915

I do believe that that is exactly what binding is for! That's one dandy battle scar. Stand proud, man.

Daydreamz

Reaction score
Ok i got the point, But dings like this usually happens in new les paul guitars because of the nitro finish? also when i picked it from the store it had zero rust/dust on it but after a month of playing it the fretboard started collecting dust and the bridge too... i play everyday for about an hour or too usually...

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok i got the point, But dings like this usually happens in new les paul guitars because of the nitro finish? also when i picked it from the store it had zero rust/dust on it but after a month of playing it the fretboard started collecting dust and the bridge too... i play everyday for about an hour or too usually...
There is something about electronics and magnetic fields that love dust and dirt....... static charge from the instrument rubbing against your clothing and your hand rubbing and resting on the bridge.... it's all normal.

You can try cleaning your room.:rofl:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
That looks more like wear than a ding. You also need to know that some stands are not safe for nitro finishes. The rubber can interact and melt the nitro. Does the damage you see line up with where the guitar rests on the stand?

Daydreamz

Reaction score
That looks more like wear than a ding. You also need to know that some stands are not safe for nitro finishes. The rubber can interact and melt the nitro. Does the damage you see line up with where the guitar rests on the stand?
Absolutely no, the guitar stand only touches the lower fretboard part and the guitar body so im not sure where it could come from.. maybe while my wife cleaned the room she wasn't so careful and made this little ding but i asked her about it and she said no way... i guess i can live with it i just hope that this nitro ding mark wont get any bigger ...

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
jeezuz. perspective.

evertime you touch the strings you corrode them.
every time a string touches a fret it wears it down.

it's a tool with moving parts. it's going to get dinged up.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let it go man, don't worry about it. If you are going to worry about every ding and dust speck then pretty soon you won't be thinking about the most important part - playing the guitar.

Daydreamz

Reaction score
Let it go man, don't worry about it. If you are going to worry about every ding and dust speck then pretty soon you won't be thinking about the most important part - playing the guitar.
:dude: Yeah i aint really worried about it anymore

Latest Threads