Tinted or pale? Tele

5F6-A

Reaction score
This my guitar for slide playing.

A trashed 2007 Squier Tele that was destined to end up in the dumpster. I rescued it using stuff and parts I had lying around (e.g. rebel relic AIII neck pickup, bone nut, Gotoh vintage style tuners). I also have a 4 way switch with the the Arlo West cocked wah mod (very cool for kind-of, nasal faux resonator tones). I love that the guitar was a rejected abandoned axe that was going to be scraped but in a twist of fate, it found redemption. A tale that resonates with many stories of many of the original bluesmen.

Still, I'm wondering if I should I tint the pale maple neck or leave as is?

1588959183540.png

Last edited:

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
Just give it mileage and that natural wear that develops will look awesome.. great looking fiddle

Tubejockey

Reaction score
Leave it as is. Those rescued ones always find a way to pay you back for the effort.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Looks like you're bumping for a tint vote, so here it is :thumb:

5F6-A

Reaction score
Looks like you're bumping for a tint vote, so here it is :thumb:
A man after my own heart....
I'm after in the vibe of the beautiful guitar below (see below) but without spending the lest amount of money (on principle) and reusing bits and pieces from my parts drawer..

Last edited:

Gary

Reaction score
Three things will turn a maple Fender neck from bright white to warm amber. Ultra violet light, age and thermal cycling. Hot, cold, hot, cold, repeat. But that can be tricky. I expose my guitars like that to direct sunlight. My Pinecaster, inspired by Arlo West, has a '91 MIM Tele maple neck. It is getting dark and flame is starting to appear in the maple neck.

5F6-A

Reaction score
Three things will turn a maple Fender neck from bright white to warm amber. Ultra violet light, age and thermal cycling. Hot, cold, hot, cold, repeat. But that can be tricky. I expose my guitars like that to direct sunlight. My Pinecaster, inspired by Arlo West, has a '91 MIM Tele maple neck. It is getting dark and flame is starting to appear in the maple neck.
Does your Pine Caster have the Arlo West cocked wah mod?

5F6-A

Reaction score
No, it does not. It’s only a look-alike.

Very nice.... the cocked wah mod is very interesting. You need 2 caps (0.005uF and 0.010uF), a resistor (3K3) and a 4 position switch. I use Allen Bradley - NOS ceramic stuff but you could use regular/easier to find stuff and get excellent tones too. Anyway, I think it sounds cool, especially for slide and some gain.

5F6-A

Reaction score
I've found this interesting picture. Two MusicMan basses. Both very similar. One tinted, one raw. I think the amber/tinted one looks better.

amber or pale.JPG

Last edited:

5F6-A

Reaction score
Hey guys.... quick update. Thank you for all your contributions and insights. I truly appreciate them.

That tasty Custom Shop black Telecaster confirmed my desire to have something a bit older looking so I have decided to get rid of the old satin poly, tint the neck amber -ish and refinish with Tru Oil and carnauba wax. I'm going for a middle of the road approach (about 15 very thin coats), not too thin not too thick. I'll post results here in due time (prob a month). Thank you.

tele tinted.JPG

Burny FLG

Reaction score
Custom build Tele. Had the option to have the neck tinted but chose to let it age naturally. Wish I had it's taking sooo long.
IMG_0851.JPG

5F6-A

Reaction score
Custom build Tele. Had the option to have the neck tinted but chose to let it age naturally. Wish I had it's taking sooo long.View attachment 461668
Love the guitar. Is it finished in nitro? Natural ageing will take a significant amount of time. I have tinted the neck. Waiting for the tru oil to cure. Looking cool already but I cannot rush things.

tinted.JPG

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
How did you tint it?
Gonna Tru-oil finish a guitar soon, body and maple neck, not sure about tinting yet. The body is alder and I would like to stain it first to make the grain really show.

Latest Threads