Time for a mundane thread...

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes... it's a useful kind of service I provide. Just one of the many extras of visiting MLP! :rofl:

And so of course, I have sallied forth to comb the Interwebz in search of the origin of this particular phrase...

For a change, I'm just gonna post a link to the article that explains the origin of the phrase, rather than to do all the typing myself. The reason for this is simple: most etymologies only call for a few words to describe the origins of a given word or phrase... but this one has a bit of history behind it that others might find amusing.

The Origin of "That's What She Said"

For those who don't wish to bother reading something even longer than this post, I'll just say:

1. The phrase seems to have originated in England, at the turn of the 19th Century to the 20th Century.

2. The original phrase wasn't as concise as the modern rendition.

3. All along, the phrase has been used as a double entendre or a somewhat ribald type.

4. The popularity of current usage appears to be due to the use of the phrase on Saturday Night Live, especially by Chevy Chase.

And there you have it! :thumb:

--R :laugh2:
"Next time you ... feel compelled to grab it and shake all you can from it, remember its long history. Appreciate the fact you don't have to come up with something new and can just do the best with what you have. "

That's what she said.....

DavGrape

Reaction score
We also had 'that really bites.'
But that one kind of faded away.

TheX

Why you mad, bro?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I feel like bar-b-que, I drive to Elgin for the GOOD stuff. No desire to do it myself.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I feel like bar-b-que, I drive to Elgin for the GOOD stuff. No desire to do it myself.
Is that the place right on the river?
We went to some place on the river way out in the boonies when we were in Austin for training around 1999 or so.

pnuggett

Reaction score
Fillin' the feeder again. Garbage day. Gotta remember to throw out the meat scraps in the freezer.

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of ours was "put the burn on someone" such as insulting them
They grit their teeth which we referred to as "tight jaws"..
and to really add insult to injury
If you were close enough you held out your hand and touched the side of their face and would go " zzzzzzzzzzz" as if you had branded them..

At that point it would often proceed into actually fighting

ahh the good old days of growing up..

Last edited:

fett

Reaction score
It's Sunny in Seattle and I'm out scrubbing moss off the street in front of my Summer Home.

Latest Threads