Time for a mundane thread...

pnuggett

Reaction score
I'm under Prop-13 on my 1994 valuation of $60k.
I'm paying $1100/year.
If I had bought it this year, I'd be at closer to $4,000
Ya... That place at $94/mo? That's what I'm paying now.
There's an HOA of about #160.00 per month. I was surprised to see a house and property like that with an HOA.

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gutsy move.
With people coming over. It's a pellet smoker (Traeger), so I am not that concerned. But it has been a while since I have done one. I feel confident though. I am buying taco tortillas in case it goes completely south I can make brisket tacos with chopped brisket. And lots of mac and cheese for filler.

Start at 9 pm the night before in hopes of pulling by noon and cooler resting for 3-4 hours.

TheX

Why you mad, bro?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm under Prop-13 on my 1994 valuation of $60k.
I'm paying $1100/year.
If I had bought it this year, I'd be at closer to $4,000
Ya... That place at $94/mo? That's what I'm paying now.
That proposition is why some people will never move.

pnuggett

Reaction score
With people coming over. It's a pellet smoker (Traeger), so I am not that concerned. But it has been a while since I have done one. I feel confident though. I am buying taco tortillas in case it goes completely south I can make brisket tacos with chopped brisket. And lots of mac and cheese for filler.

Start at 9 pm the night before in hopes of pulling by noon and cooler resting for 3-4 hours.
I have a Traeger too. Makes long smokes much easier than the Weber charcoal smoker that I have. The Weber does a better job of delivering deeper smoke flavor than the Traeger pellet but at the expense of convenience. Do you have a wireless thermometer? Very helpful. Maybe your Traeger is a newer model that includes WIFI. Mine doesn't.

Let us know how it turns out.

Olds442

Reaction score
There's an HOA of about #160.00 per month. I was surprised to see a house and property like that with an HOA.
no shit i did not notice that. that may have been a deal breaker since HOAs can be a major pain. i'm just browsing now, won't move for some time but i always like to watch the listings. great catch!

@Crotch i'm sure it will be great, also good luck to your packers. :cheers2:

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Traeger too. Makes long smokes much easier than the Weber charcoal smoker that I have. The Weber does a better job of delivering deeper smoke flavor than the Traeger pellet but at the expense of convenience. Do you have a wireless thermometer? Very helpful. Maybe your Traeger is a newer model that includes WIFI. Mine doesn't.

Let us know how it turns out.
I did not get the wifi model I don't think. My wife got it for me for Xmas from Costco so I am doubting it. Its like the Texas 34 or something I think its called.

I do have a wireless thermometer but I tend to gravitate more towards my instant read Thermapen.

I've never used a Traeger. Usually use an R2D2 style water pan smoker that I had for 10 years but it is falling apart so I haven't BBQed in a while. I'm actually quite excited to try this. I have heard exactly what you said about not getting the smoke flavor as much. I don't think this one comes with Super Smoke option either so I'll probably grab a mixture of oak and hickory or maybe even a little mesquite (which normally I don't like) to get as much smoke into as I can. Probably wrap it a little later n the process as well, like at 190 or so.

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
no shit i did not notice that. that may have been a deal breaker since HOAs can be a major pain. i'm just browsing now, won't move for some time but i always like to watch the listings. great catch!

@Crotch i'm sure it will be great, also good luck to your packers. :cheers2:
Packer Brisket for Packer Games.

Olds442

Reaction score
@Crotch my experience with brisket is that there's the stall around 180-190. for that reason, i'd wrap it at 180 in the hopes of pushing it over that plateau a little quicker.

not sure if there's any real science behind that, it's just what my instinct would tell me to do to try to keep the moisture inside.

pnuggett

Reaction score
I did not get the wifi model I don't think. My wife got it for me for Xmas from Costco so I am doubting it. Its like the Texas 34 or something I think its called.

I do have a wireless thermometer but I tend to gravitate more towards my instant read Thermapen.

I've never used a Traeger. Usually use an R2D2 style water pan smoker that I had for 10 years but it is falling apart so I haven't BBQed in a while. I'm actually quite excited to try this. I have heard exactly what you said about not getting the smoke flavor as much. I don't think this one comes with Super Smoke option either so I'll probably grab a mixture of oak and hickory or maybe even a little mesquite (which normally I don't like) to get as much smoke into as I can. Probably wrap it a little later n the process as well, like at 190 or so.

A wireless thermometer is great for long cooks and monitoring the process without lifting the lid. Like they say, if you're lookin' you aint cookin'. A two probe is great. One for the meat and the other for the smoker temp. I've had two occasions when the Traeger overfilled the pellets into the firebox and extinguished the fire dropping the temp. That's out of 100's of cooks but it did happen. Wouldn't want that to happen on an overnight cook.

I use this. You can set the alarms separately for target meat temperature and the other for too low of smoker temp.

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Crotch my experience with brisket is that there's the stall around 180-190. for that reason, i'd wrap it at 180 in the hopes of pushing it over that plateau a little quicker.

not sure if there's any real science behind that, it's just what my instinct would tell me to do to try to keep the moisture inside.
I agree with the stall. It all really depends on looks to me. I need to see the brisket lose about 35-40% of its size. You want to get a lot of the water out of it, but then make sure whats left stays in, if that makes any sense. I like this guy a lot. He has a good what not to do video on brisket. I agree with almost all of it. I'll also foil wrap. I've never paper wrapped. And do some spritzing throughout the cook.

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A wireless thermometer is great for long cooks and monitoring the process without lifting the lid. Like they say, if you're lookin' you aint cookin'. A two probe is great. One for the meat and the other for the smoker temp. I've had two occasions when the Traeger overfilled the pellets into the firebox and extinguished the fire dropping the temp. That's out of 100's of cooks but it did happen. Wouldn't want that to happen on an overnight cook.

I use this. You can set the alarms separately for target meat temperature and the other for too low of smoker temp.

Agree, and good points. Especially when it is 25 degrees here. I have almost the same one but a little smaller and its red. I think it might even be the same maker. Going to dig that out.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not always a bad thing.
HOAs handle community property... they may have a clubhouse, pool, tennis court... Or it may be a gated development, in which case, the HOA handles maintenance of roads and such that would normally be the city/county, and in most cases, perform better than the city/county.

It all depends on who is on the board. If you get a bunch of "Karens" than you're going to have problems.
But it's the homeowners who are responsible, and they can vote the "Karens" out.
But they don't care enough to vote... much less even run.

I've been my HOA Prez since 1995.
Right now, I am the ONLY board member.
We can't even get 23 proxies to hold our annual meeting, and it's been 3 years since we've been able to get 12 proxies for the adjourned annual.
Without 12 proxies, we can't even open the ballots... but if someone else would bother to run, I could appoint them without an election.
44 units... apparently they are happy with the way I run the place.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That proposition is why some people will never move.
It's the only thing that has allowed us to stay.
With a state income tax of 10%, sales tax up to 12% depending on city, fuel a buck higher than other states, power at $0.40/kwh, vehicle registration fees of $200-$600... Hawaii is one of the few states with a higher cost of living.

pnuggett

Reaction score
It's not always a bad thing.
HOAs handle community property... they may have a clubhouse, pool, tennis court... Or it may be a gated development, in which case, the HOA handles maintenance of roads and such that would normally be the city/county, and in most cases, perform better than the city/county.

It all depends on who is on the board. If you get a bunch of "Karens" than you're going to have problems.
But it's the homeowners who are responsible, and they can vote the "Karens" out.
But they don't care enough to vote... much less even run.

I've been my HOA Prez since 1995.
Right now, I am the ONLY board member.
We can't even get 23 proxies to hold our annual meeting, and it's been 3 years since we've been able to get 12 proxies for the adjourned annual.
Without 12 proxies, we can't even open the ballots... but if someone else would bother to run, I could appoint them without an election.
44 units... apparently they are happy with the way I run the place.

I live in a HOA community. 75 bucks a month keeps up our general landscaping and maintenance of our parks and open areas etc. It also helps keep neighbors from causing the value of your home to go down. I'm good with an HOA.

Latest Threads