Time for a mundane thread...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Added a gizmo to my mailbox so the Amazon listening device can tell my wife when to walk out to the street to get the mail.
Freaked her out a bit when I tested the system without telling her about it and Alexa said "You've got mail"
Also programmed it to change the message so between 9pm and 8am, it says "Someone is messing with the mailboxes".... We've had a lot of mail theft in our area, and a lot that have been hit have been the large apartment/condo/neighborhood boxes.
We're just close enough so the sensor is within range of our bridge.

Also added a temperature sensor upstairs to allow the thermostat to set our preferred temperature overnight, rather than just hoping it stays cool enough.
Not quite a dual-zone HVAC system... but with only 1100 square feet that would be overkill.
Just a way to make sure that it's actually 74 upstairs, rather than programming for 71 downstairs and hoping it stays below 76.

Wow... Two devices on two apps and two new routines... I'm beat.
You coulda been kilt right there doing all that at once.

Last edited:

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You coulda been kiltvright there doing all that at once.
Nahh... this was all sitting on my ass.

The light switches though.....

I am (or was) a traffic signal electricians.
I'm used to working live circuits because we can't black out a signal for a minor operation... and some major operations.
So I don't black out my wife's TV when I'm changing light switches and outlets... that can be just as dangerous as blacking out a signal!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was never fond of working hot. There were plenty of times checking things I had my left hand behind me inside my belt and wrapped up over belt... My rules included 'always worry about the bastard working on this before you' because assuming will get you kilt. 220v taught me that... Like a farking Louisville Slugger...

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was never fond of working hot. There were plenty of times checking things I had my left hand behind me inside my belt and wrapped up over belt... My rules included 'always worry about the bastard working on this before you' because assuming will get you kilt. 220v taught me that... Like a farking Louisville Slugger...
Yep.... Always worry about the last guy in there... and always think about the poor SOB who's going to have to troubleshoot your mess in 10 years.

Funny... until I moved from the shop into engineering, *I* was the poor SOB who had to troubleshoot the stuff that I had installed 10 years earlier when I was working for one of our suppliers.

Thankfully I never had to troubleshoot the work of my former partner... who in the 2 years he worked for me before I finally fired him, I don't think he ever used a single zip-tie... and this was not a guy who knew how to lace a harness either.

Hmm.... "Always worry about the last guy in there... and always think about the poor SOB who's going to have to troubleshoot your mess in 10 years"
Working with electricity is a LOT like wimminz.....

Olds442

Reaction score
it's 55f out there right now, and i'm grilling the boneless thighs for the soup.

dog is losing her shit, amazon, fedex and ups are all out and about this time of day. plus the mail man.

he's a big threat.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
400hz in airplanes is a whole other feeling.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can ‘hear’ the 60 motorboat. (Brain detects the electrical pulses and ‘thinks’ signal originated with sound. Folks brain so you ‘hear’ it)

Foe Hunnert is on a whole nudder level...even with like voltage... kinda like dat dutymacycle stuff.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can ‘hear’ the 60 motorboat. (Brain detects the electrical pulses and ‘thinks’ signal originated with sound. Folks brain so you ‘hear’ it)

Foe Hunnert is on a whole nudder level...even with like voltage... kinda like dat dutymacycle stuff.
Yep yep yep... 60hz buzz even at low voltage/current sounds in your head like the factory transformer down the street just before it blows... but nobody else hears it.

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got in trouble in H.S. Ind E program.... Instructor walked in and I was soldering....with a magneto....hooked to a really high speed motor.... Moving the magnets real quick like jacks up dat ei

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wearing welding gloves and insulated long needle nose so I didn’t get nailed... Instructor didn’t see a damn thing ‘cool’ about my little experiment... not even a little bit.

Olds442

Reaction score
went to HD, picked up blinds for the living room window, they match the ones in the kitchen. just in case i should ever decide to half that wall.

even cleaned up after and put the tools away. i wonder if she'll notice that we now have blinds in there.

Latest Threads