Timbuckers in 2020?

MCT

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Here’s a blast from the past- anyone still using Timbuckers these days? I ask only because I saw a set go up for sale and curiosity killed the cat- I snagged them. I guess I’ll be able to answer my own question in a few days, but I’m curious how people feel these stand up to the competition in today’s pickup market?

JWH

Reaction score
Tim buckers iv heard of TRIMBUCKERS. semoure duncans F spaced humbucker for fender guitars

MCT

Reaction score
Timbuckers refer to pickups from the early to mid ‘00’s wound by Tim White, who had a 2 year waitlist when he stopped winding in 2008. People back then touted them as being incredible. Since then, the boutique pickup market has exploded, and I’m wondering: a) whether anyone still uses them and b) how people think they compare with other pickup offerings.

JWH

Reaction score
thank you for that info. man i have been considering buying a pickup winder and try my luck at making my own pickups. hand wound pickups dont loose count. scatter wound off set scatter wound. all have a unique sound. Tim White. ill look him up

Mpcoluv

Reaction score
According to some who have owned the actual Timbuckers, The were completely wound by hand. Meaning the bobbing was held in one hand the the wire wrapped on them using the other hand.
The closest thing to that method is the Zhangbucker pure hand wounds.

Last edited:

JWH

Reaction score
cheaper than a pickup winder. better not have any distractions. i saw online some humbuckers that were scatter wound and the position of the bulk of the wind made a difference how they sounded. Can't remember who made them. it was some ones name like Joe blows pick ups and he made them. Tim white he hand made his pickups. wood tone.

JWH

Reaction score
i just googled "hand wound pickups " and got bbguitarlab.com. of course they say " there the best". i mean they would not say they suck. nothing about the "wood tone"

JWH

Reaction score
make your own pickups would be a nice hobby. the copper wire rolls can cost hundreds of dollars. cheaper to buy pre made. it's that pursuit of the perfect tone that motivates. don't fuck up any it can be costly. you can not re use the wire if it breaks.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I have a set of Timbuckers and I know there are a few others here who have them also, they are really good pickups. I also have Rolphs, Tom Holmes, Wizz vintage wire, Stephens Design, Beast Buckers, Sigil, OX4 some Earthbranes and some others, they are all really good pickups. A set of pickups in one guitar will sound different in another guitar. Enjoy your Timbuckers when you get them. :thumb:

Latest Threads