Tim v3

simon connor

Reaction score
I just, somewhat impulsively, bought a Tim v3 pedal. I had read about them on various forums over the years and got on the Humbucker Music waiting list a while ago thinking "I'll decide when they contact me a few years from now" and then to my surprise received the notification that I could purchase one a few months later, ie, a couple days ago. So I impulsively pulled the trigger. I know nothing about this pedal. I have never even heard one! I guess I wanted to know what a "Transparent" pedal sounds like. I can always sell it if it doesn't do anything for me.

Apart from the obvious fact that this was sort of foolish, I'd love to hear what people have to say about Tim pedals, settings you use, or just any thoughts you have about them.

I play through a Mesa Lonestar Special, which frankly has a pretty great overdrive channel of it's own. I also have a recently restored 1979 Silverface Deluxe Reverb. That was actually the one I was thinking of using the Tim overdrive with...

What do you guys think about Tim pedals?

sputnik

Reaction score
The Tim/Timmy is one of my favorites. I prefer the Timmy though as I don’t need a boost and the extra switches. The “transparent” label gets thrown around a lot with overdrive pedals but the Tim/Timmy is the only one I’ve found that can truly be transparent. I’ve seen posts about them not working with Fender blackface amps but that’s just not true from my experience.

You’ll like it.

v-man

Reaction score
I had a V1. In honesty, I had so much shit on my hands that I don’t think I really let the potential fully marinate. Now I am down to 2 Marshalls I know better playing them exclusively. As I sold my V1, I got on the HBM mailing list and it arrived yesterday. I just switched off moments ago. It will be a while before I fully digest but here Is the impression so far:

1959RR. The thing sounds so good, you don’t want pedals. The Tim (bypass on/boost off) is like putting a Hot Mods in this amp. Same open sound, more gain, no coloration. Fu-king-glorious.

2203 JMP w Hot Mods: Is this thing on? The (bypass on/boost off) is so subtle it’s not there. You really have to hit pinch harmonics and stomp on/off to register the very subtle, color-free increase in gain and compression. Hot Mods really need nothing else, but they get a little compression benefit from the right pedal in that pedals are still usable with them. I am sure the Tim would work as the Hot Mods to the 2203 were I to uninstall, but it is a PITA to move out/in.

Tim Bypass on/ Boost on: this is probably the make/break feature for a consumer vs a Timmy. I don’t really get anything (yet) stomping the boost, even though it adds a max 20+dB to the bypass vol gain. Currently there is an OCD GE in the loop, which is too subtle and unfortunately it seems Treble Boosters want to be out first, which takes them out of the Tim loop. As such, I am in the infancy of the Boost learning curve.

There are three obvious (for me) choices for the loop: a frequency shift for solo boosts (RAT/EQ), a Delay, or modulation. Delay sounds great for these clean amp jocks, but pushing a driven marshall and opening up a boost with delay in between the dirty pedal and dirty amp seems like it won’t work well for me or will need to be tweaked. A Chorus/phase/flange could be interesting, but not as a go-to for whatever song and it begs the question, “why not stomp the box independently during a part if that’s the goal?” Again, too early for me to render a verdict, but I am about certain (for my use) the loop will only be good for removing 4 other unused drives out of the signal chain, and/or a solo boost with some cutting freqs from the right pedal to stand out in a mix.

Regardless, the fucker is staying. The clean boost is the best thing on the NMV Marshall next to a Treble Booster, and I expect to figure out more and better uses for this pedal.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just have the Timmy, both an MXR in conjunction with Cochrane mini version, and a V3 Timmy. The pedals are so versatile. They ARE are transparent OD, living in that realm I like of just breaking up, or edge, and light crunch. But, they front AND rear end other OD pedals so well, I use the MXR to tone correct some of the coloring of other OD pedals, by putting it in the rear and using it's Bass and Treble cut knobs.. One of the few pedals if set for it, can truly be an always on pedal.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
@simon connor LOL, I did the same thing. Put my name on the list months ago, got email Wednesday, impulsively bought it and it arrived today (Saturday). I have the house to myself tomorrow woo hoo.

Coldacre

Reaction score
I’m a little bit sh****y with Cochrane as Im someone who’s used a Timmy since 2008, and have been waiting for the last 10 years for the Tim to come back…. well I can’t order one cos I don’t reside in the almighty US of A.

people buying them on a whim, rubs me the wrong way (nothing personal to anyone who did).

sputnik

Reaction score
I’m a little bit sh****y with Cochrane as Im someone who’s used a Timmy since 2008, and have been waiting for the last 10 years for the Tim to come back…. well I can’t order one cos I don’t reside in the almighty US of A.

people buying them on a whim, rubs me the wrong way (nothing personal to anyone who did).
I’ve read that some people contacted Humbucker Music and ask them to ship outside of the USA and they would. You may want to give that a try the next time they’re available.

Coldacre

Reaction score
I’ve read that some people contacted Humbucker Music and ask them to ship outside of the USA and they would. You may want to give that a try the next time they’re available.

tried that when the first batch went out, they’re only doing that for Canadians.

Latest Threads