Tim Shaw pickups

arto

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Looking for some clarification on Tim Shaw pickups. Specifically on an 87 LPC with just a PAT 2,737,842 engraving, no ink stamp. I am curious to hear the debate, cant find anything really to go by.

I think they used PAT 2,737,842 pickups on all heritage and customs from 80 - 87 however not all are ink stamped, especially the later 80s. I know after 87 the entire pickup looks different with the circuit board (Bill Lawrence). I could be wrong.

Going by this interview (here) he states the "Tim Shaw Gibson humbuckers stopped when the ladies winding the strings were laid off" that was 84.

Curious to hear your thoughts and get some clarification.

Thx

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, Gibson was particularly tight-fisted and they wouldn't have designed a whole new pickup from scratch I'm sure. Maybe they changed a few of the small parts for cheaper options at most.
Plus there were 2 plants, and 1984 might have been the end of the Kalamazoo plant but not the Nashville one.
Also the pickups still had to be wound by somebody....whatever model you have it's simply the next set of employees that do the work no matter who retires or quits.
And its the machines that do the work. The worker is passive as they winders are fully automated. The operator simply loads the machine with the bobbin and attaches/snips off the wire at the start and end of the wind. So an original worker moving on is in no way catastrophic.

KS 5150

Reaction score
Hopefully this will be of some assistance: I have a 1987 LPC that I acquired last summer and created a thread to ask if the pickups might be Shaws. There is a lot of good information here and it was determined that the pickups are indeed Shaws. My serial # dates it to October 20, 1987:

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/are-these-shaws.461414/

arto

Reaction score
Hopefully this will be of some assistance: I have a 1987 LPC that I acquired last summer and created a thread to ask if the pickups might be Shaws. There is a lot of good information here and it was determined that the pickups are indeed Shaws. My serial # dates it to October 20, 1987:

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/are-these-shaws.461414/
Thanks for the information, i really appreciate it. The guitar i was looking at is long gone, i was late. I was looking for an 87 to match my birth year. Your serial is strangely close to my actual day of birth haha - if you ever want to sell it, let me know!

But basically I came to the conclusion that - late shaws with no ink stamp and no brass screws are "technically" shaws, just wound by different ppl who set up the machines. I was informed they were similar to 490/498, either way a good guitar to have before the bill Lawrence circuit board PUs.

KS 5150

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, i really appreciate it. The guitar i was looking at is long gone, i was late. I was looking for an 87 to match my birth year. Your serial is strangely close to my actual day of birth haha - if you ever want to sell it, let me know!

But basically I came to the conclusion that - late shaws with no ink stamp and no brass screws are "technically" shaws, just wound by different ppl who set up the machines. I was informed they were similar to 490/498, either way a good guitar to have before the bill Lawrence circuit board PUs.
I think mine is a keeper but I will let you know if that changes. Here is your sorta birthday twin:

hj-JHzi-A3-T3-1rf-Ss-FW3-Ft-A.jpg

arto

Reaction score
Beautiful indeed, congrats!

I was so disappointed i ended up getting a 61 standard sg and slash lp in appetite burst lmao

bytemare

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what the debate is.... I have one of this in a guitar, also have a spare in a drawer...

1969 weatherman

Reaction score
the shaws were long gone by 1984 ...and until that time they were put in the high guitars like the heritage 80's. here's an interview with the man himself stating that fact.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Well, if you only define 'Shaws' as 'pickups made when he was at Gibson', then I guess you could gatekeep in a lot of other ways regarding. But if you define them as 'exactly the same pickups construction whether he happened to be at Gibson or not', then you get the definition everybody uses.
Imagine if you were silly enough to say that 57 Classics only exist for the time Tom Holmes consulted at Gibson.......its the same thing really.

TM1

Reaction score
I bought a 1981 ES-335 Dot. Supposedly the pickups were Shaw's. They sounded horrid! Seymour made me a set of Pearly Gates and problem solved!

RetropM

Reaction score
I bought a 1981 ES-335 Dot. Supposedly the pickups were Shaw's. They sounded horrid! Seymour made me a set of Pearly Gates and problem solved!

Personal preferences aside, I would be willing to bet that those were T-Tops and not Shaws and I say that as someone who likes both.

Rozman62

Reaction score
Bought a set of pickups off CL about 8 years ago. Seller stated they came out of a '87 standard which he had with him and showed me. He wasn't sure if they were Shaws or 490's so he priced them at $60. I figured at that price what the heck as I like 490's as well. I set them aside for a year then my friend was looking for pups for his SG. I let him try them out and if he wanted them then $60 takes them. He didn't like them so I took them back. After reading a few older threads on the Shaw's I opened them up and they are indeed Shaw's. They sit in a Epiphone double neck on the 12 side and produce a beautiful chime like clean tone.

moreles

Reaction score
'87 is a good year for some Gibson models, and some of those do indeed have the remaining Shaws installed. Apparently, by '87 Norlin had sold off Gibson to new owners -- the infamous Henry J group -- and the new regime was undertaking to show that Gibson could still build them like they used to. For ex., they reissued the '61 Les Paul/SG Custom (with the 3 pickups) and undertook to do it distinctively well. Many of those were fitted with Shaws -- mine has them -- though I hear that at some point these were used up. I believe the regular single-cut Custom also has Shaws. I don't know what other models did or did not. Personally, I like Shaws a lot. I find them to be clear and articulate, open sounding, and with moderate rather than overheated output. I really love my '87 Reissue '61 Les Paul/SG Custom and the Shaws work beautifully in it. In tracking down the specs for my own guitar, I'm sorry to say that I encountered more self-deceiving speculation, BS, "wrong facts," and unfounded assumptions and statements than you would ever imagine regarding Tim Shaw pickups.

Latest Threads