Tim Shaw pickups

mr. rj

Reaction score
Hi all,

just curious if anyone can approximate the year of these TS pups....i just bought them today and the guy thinks 1982. But since it's missing the ink stamp, its difficult to date the year. These pictures are hard to see, but after zooming in on the ones i have, i can make out either may or march and either 83 or 85.

Anyhow, my next dilemma is that i'm undecided which axe to put them in. I have a standard 50's heritage cherry, classic ebony, tobacco tribute & epi black beauty joe bon. All are year 2020, except the standard is 2019. My first pick is the standard since it has hand wiring.

Any info greatly appreciated. After research more on this site, all i know is that they can be anywhere from 81-87, but the silver sticker may help closer identify it?

Thanks,
Ryan

Attachments

mr. rj

Reaction score
most pictures i have seen with the month inked first (ie jan. feb. etc) were in 1979, seen maybe 10 pups in that year alone, but rarely any in the following years. The pups i have are marked with May on them, as I can see now, and my guess is 1979.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
i have 2 guitars from 1982 with the ink stamp and a pair of Shaw pups that I bought at GC with the sticker. Not sure if they ever put stickered ones in a guitar and they weren’t dated or stamped. The 82’s have the month and the year as the second set of digits. The ink stamps went for a few years, I’ve seen 84’s as well. Probably impossible to date yours without the stamp and yours are definitely worn. All mine have nickel covers, not sure if I’ve seen chrome like yours before. The ones with the short legs and extra holes in the backplate came in thinner guitars like V’s.

8863D8AF-6DD7-4C42-9C63-DFF612C3053C.jpeg

Latest Threads