Tim Shaw pickup in my 1990 SG?

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Could be. It looks like the ones in my 82 V, you be the judge. I have a feeling that most of the Shaw pick ups had brass screws and yours look like they are made out of steel but that is the only thing that I can see that looks out of place. All of the Shaw pick ups that have short legs seem to have those double rows of screw holes on the backplate. I assume that you know last three digits are the date of manufacture.

554B9B06-DC96-4EA3-BDDF-3C0185258AFE.jpeg

D3B18609-BC84-4384-A596-13E4B71AF01A.jpeg

Last edited:

trapdoorspider

Reaction score
No, I did not know the last 3 digits were the date of the pickups. So 281 dates this one to February 1981 -- or is it 1991?

Based on the serial number of 96750---, this is a 1990 model, but the original pickups have apparently been replaced. The neck pickup is an Original Bill Lawrence, the kind with 4 wires and the printed circuitboard on the bottom (see photo). I have no idea how to date those, but thought they were mainly used in the 1980s. If this guitar is dated 1981, then apparently somebody put older (and better) pickups in this guitar.

It's a mystery guitar, to say the least. it has the unusual side jack, like a Les Paul, and most people say Gibson stopped doing that around 1986 or 1987. And yet, here it is in a 1990 model.

Thanks for your help! - michael

Attachments

MSB

Reaction score
for the Shaw pickup, I would direct you to the Norlin subsection. They know their stuff

BL were '80s, but late '80s, '88-'90 or '91 roughly, so I'd guess that neck pickup is stock and the shaw was swapped in. I'd be curious what it measures and what the pot cavity looks like (i.e. soldering/pots).

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score

Can we get a positive on the bobbin screws? Are they brass or silver as they appear..?

Can you measure them with an ohmmeter? Shaws will be in the 7.something range. Not 8.

The stamp code looks right for an 81 Shaw, the whitish slugs look right too. The depth of the baseplate into the cover looks about right.

Some Shaws did use the Dirty Fingers base plates with double row screw holes.

Those screws tho.... But 81 would be near the beginning, and Gibson is rarely consistent.

They may have used up some steel screws before going all brass... who knows.

Ohm reading will help tell.

Feb 82 Shaws out of mine..

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
It is a Shaw...you can see the white spacer through the holes......you said yourself that the pups are not original.

The early Shaw’s used the dirty finger base plates because Tim actually wound the dirty fingers FIRST, before the “PAF” winds....he used the base plates he had already been working with....the short legs are to fit the SG routes etc...just makes sense production and Money wise.

the Screws look like brass to me, but regardless.....

February of 81 would be almost a year into the Shaw run....

I really do not see the mystery here???

Last edited: