Tiling a hallway- DIY or hire a pro?

filtersweep

Reaction score
I am fairly handy— have done everything so far on our remodel: sheet rock, tore out a fireplace, all the wood floors, the trim, etc.

Tiles are something else.

I have seen too many shitty tile jobs in other houses. Plus they require serious tools that can’t really be used elsewhere.

Any major regrets from anyone on a DIY tile floor job? Or is it as easy as all the youtubers make it appear?

DotStudio

Reaction score
I've tiled 3 kitchens, 5 bathrooms, and plenty of entryways. It's really not hard if you're handy at all. Just take your time measuring and laying things out. If you're not willing to buy one, do yourself a favor and rent a decent tile saw. It'll make your life much easier.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laying tile really sucks. At least for me. It's not difficult to do a good job. Just way to time consuming and a pain in the ass when she says I'm tired of this tile. Either wood or the snap together floating floor gets my vote

filtersweep

Reaction score
Laying tile really sucks. At least for me. It's not difficult to do a good job. Just way to time consuming and a pain in the ass when she says I'm tired of this tile. Either wood or the snap together floating floor gets my vote
I prefer wood, but it is for an entry, and the wife wants a heating cable in the floor.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've done my share of tiling without any proper training or instruction. I do suggest buying/renting a wet-saw. It can make the difference between a hack job and a professional looking job. I bought one and haven't regretted it.

Patience is the most important part of tiling.

Deftone

Reaction score
Not our house anymore but here's the entryway my wife did. Yes, we have a really good tile saw.

c15af090f4e12a63ba4d8cbfc6f67c0e-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

Not perfect, but not bad for her first tile job. I never would have noticed it if she wasn't always pointing it out.

FWIW, I did this floor....

e0c2d57f5b58a22cf23b97a2c794ff3f-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Tile is final...i.e. if you change your mind in the future, most of the subfloor is coming out, before the new flooring goes in. If it is in an area that might get wet, make sure the tile isn't too smooth or you will fall and break your ass. My sister had a marble foyer and when your shoes were wet, you were in for some excitement.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
How big of a hallway are we talking?
I've done a small-ish full bath in 12x12 tiles and it was not difficult.
I'd think twice about a 15x15 living room... but would probably move forward with it.

Latest Threads