Thumb position for scales

Spudnuts

Reaction score
Quick question about thumb position. How do you position your thumb when practicing 3NP scales? Do you hook it over the neck or is it placed around the middle of the back of the neck.

for me, the classical style just does not work, it feels un natural. The thumb over the neck seems better. It kind of makes more sense too. If im soloing, my thumb is over the neck with the exception of when playing the E and A strings.

from what i read online, the best way is the classical style of fingering. But then i guess there are no hard and fast rules. You just do what works best for you i guess.

what are your thoughts on this?

dspelman

Reaction score
I don't use much "thumb over." It wanders from the middle of the neck to the treble edge. A couple of reasons: I have really big XXL size hands that have spent years playing piano, and I don't need to enlist the muscles in the thumb area of the palm that some do in order to bend and produce vibrato. And, too, if you play guitars with more strings (say, eight), there's really going to be no way that you're going to want to go with thumb over.

Spudnuts

Reaction score
Good point about 8 string guitar but 6 is more than enough for me!
my hands are also small, i can reach the notes with the thumb over but i dont want to get into bad habits. I just cant get the hand to feel comfortable playing classical style.

BKS

Reaction score
How ever you like...

Latest Threads