Throbak | ReWind | Holmes | Wizz | Lollar | Gibson MHS - Video Comparison

What were your top 2 favorite sets overall?

• Throbak SLE-101+ LTD

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Tom Holmes H450 / H455

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • ReWind Electric 1958 PAF

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • Memphis Historic Spec PAF

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • ReWind Electric Low Output A5

• Lollar Low Wind Imperial

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Wizz Premium Clone PAF

• Total voters

kingsxman

Reaction score
While it is a great demo, none of the pickups are even dialed in to where they sound and perform best, just a similar height.

One of the things I was getting at in my earlier post, what sounds good through a microphone and a playback speaker may not sound like you think it will, "in the room."

I don't typically like playing A5 magnet humbuckers, but I'll be damned if they don't usually sound good to me in demos, like really good.

And once you think about all of the variables of dialing in pickup heights and pole pieces, then you can start fiddling with the volume and tone controls.

And it goes on... :lol:
Actually, thats not true. He started with them at the same height and then DID make adjustments to the individual pickups so he could get the best sound out of them. (I think he said he spent about 30 minutes with each set doing that). Now....what sounds good to Yeatzee's ears may not sound good to yours or mine. But so far..he seems to have a pretty good ear.

yeatzee

Reaction score
So much truth! I remember back when I was buying and trying, maybe a year before I started winding and I was recording / testing pretty much everything available on the market (ie: MLP Classifieds).

I went through 30+ sets with recordings and impressions written out as I experimented. There was a LOT of footage. Listening back to them, there was one set that sounded just killer on the recording but was mediocre in real life. It was a bit shocking really.
I felt like the Wizz did that for me a bit with the Les Paul video, only the opposite. The recording was kind of lack luster but I really dug them in person. In this test I felt like they all were represented pretty accurately to what I heard in the room.

While it is a great demo, none of the pickups are even dialed in to where they sound and perform best, just a similar height.

One of the things I was getting at in my earlier post, what sounds good through a microphone and a playback speaker may not sound like you think it will, "in the room."

I don't typically like playing A5 magnet humbuckers, but I'll be damned if they don't usually sound good to me in demos, like really good.

And once you think about all of the variables of dialing in pickup heights and pole pieces, then you can start fiddling with the volume and tone controls.

And it goes on... :lol:
Actually, thats not true. He started with them at the same height and then DID make adjustments to the individual pickups so he could get the best sound out of them. (I think he said he spent about 30 minutes with each set doing that). Now....what sounds good to Yeatzee's ears may not sound good to yours or mine. But so far..he seems to have a pretty good ear.
One mans "dialed in to where they sound and perform the best" is another's dialed in completely wrong. There's no hard and fast rule, but I think the tones speak for themselves. Do you not think the pickups sound any good? If so, can't help ya there. They were all set to the same height but I did minor adjustments if I felt like it was necessary. None jumped out to me as needing major changes so I only ended up doing a few very minor pole piece adjustments to a couple but nothing big. It's not like they were set to extreme pickup heights that would clearly favor one over the other.

yeatzee

Reaction score
All the individual pickup videos are live btw. I let the chords ring out in them so you can hear how they bloom differently and I also included a few extra excerpts using different pickup positions that I cut in the comparison video.

mdubya

Reaction score
One mans "dialed in to where they sound and perform the best" is another's dialed in completely wrong. There's no hard and fast rule, but I think the tones speak for themselves. Do you not think the pickups sound any good? If so, can't help ya there. They were all set to the same height but I did minor adjustments if I felt like it was necessary. None jumped out to me as needing major changes so I only ended up doing a few very minor pole piece adjustments to a couple but nothing big. It's not like they were set to extreme pickup heights that would clearly favor one over the other.
No, I thought they sounded great and enjoyed the demo.

Point I was obliquely trying to make is that there are infinite variables.

It wasn't meant as a criticism, just an observation of how crazy this all gets.

Most of my best tones come with "too much" of everything and with the pickup volumes barely cracked open. If anyone ever compliments my tone, it is not even worth going into the details of how I got there. Just, "uh, yeah, sure, just stock Gibson P-90's..."

Some Most people are never going to move the volumes and tones off of 10. :thumb:

Another example: while I never, ever hear a Throbak demo that makes me pull out my credit card, I actually bet I would really like them. They seem to be warmer and mellower than the PAF styles that sound great on recordings. And in the room, I would love that. Just a hunch.

kingsxman

Reaction score
Another example: while I never, ever hear a Throbak demo that makes me pull out my credit card, I actually bet I would really like them. They seem to be warmer and mellower than the PAF styles that sound great on recordings. And in the room, I would love that. Just a hunch.
I think your right. I think I have a decent ear. I own a set of Throbaks SLE 101's in my main Les Paul. I really dig them. I think they are very nice pickups. However, the Throbaks in this video to me were VERY uninspiring. Yet...I KNOW they are good pickups. If you look at the TGP poll...they are winning. Goes to Yeatzee's point that I think at TGP most people didnt even listen and just voted for what they like.

Or I just have a bad ear and cant hear squat.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Is a wrap-up / summary / in-room thoughts video still in the works, like the Les Paul video got?

Faded1

Reaction score
After trying many pickups including
OX4
Amber Spirit of 59
Wizz
Holmes
Gill Yarron PAF
Bare Knuckles
a few sets of Throbak
Ian Anderson
Onamac windery Top Shelf
Echopark/Arcane
Rewind Creme Brulle
Gibson 1965 set
I eventaully got smitten by a set of 'Stephen Designs' and i love them. However those Rewind 1958 sound amazing to my ears and I'd love to try a set out to see if they feel as good as they sound!

AcVox

Reaction score
I really appreciate the amount of work that has been invested in order to bring us such a detailed representation of these pickups. I really take my hat off to you, this is impressive stuff, a valuable document people will be referring to for some time I imagine .

With the benefit of good studio earphones I can hear the details, and in particular the lower gain amps like the AC30 and AC10 seem especially revealing to my ear.
You've a gift for this, though I suspect I'm not the first to point this out to you..

Last edited:

Pleximan

Reaction score
I have a set of Tom Holmes pickups in my Build a Burst replica. H450/H456. Honestly, I don't know how you could nail the "PAF" tone more; short of a real set of vintage PAF's.

yeatzee

Reaction score
Is a wrap-up / summary / in-room thoughts video still in the works, like the Les Paul video got?
Ya, that's still the plan. Long story short my PC called it quits and there's no PC parts available for purchase right now without paying scalpers crazy money over MSRP. Finally found someone on FB marketplace selling complete computers with the parts I needed to be able to do this sort of video editing and bought the computer but got scammed, with some components correct and others not what I paid for. Been a whole thing, police reports etc but I've been buying the parts I need to get it up and running fully which it finally is right now. Then as part of the process of switching to the new system my 6TB hard drive also died and I lost all of the footage and audio from the comparison. So lots of hurdles.

yeatzee

Reaction score
Alright guys it was delayed quite a bit but I finally completed the recap video where I go over my thoughts on each set as the player hopefully giving some extra insight into each pickup. You may agree or disagree with my opinions, all good either way!

Timestamps on youtube as always.

AJK1

Reaction score
I would find it helpful and interesting if these comparisons had an everyday run of the mill pickup that most people don’t rate too highly such as Seth Lovers so we can really hear the difference between them and ‘boutique’ pickups

yeatzee

Reaction score
I would find it helpful and interesting if these comparisons had an everyday run of the mill pickup that most people don’t rate too highly such as Seth Lovers so we can really hear the difference between them and ‘boutique’ pickups
I tried getting a set of used antiquities but couldn't find a pair for a decent price and wasn't willing to take a bath on a new set. There's definitely a million sets I wish I could have included, both upper and lower range, though I will say I'm personally far less interested in the lower range pickups and at the end of the day I'm doing this out of my own curiousity... I'm just taking you guys along for the ride. I'd be doing this with or without a Youtube channel :)

LP1865

Reaction score
I tried getting a set of used antiquities but couldn't find a pair for a decent price and wasn't willing to take a bath on a new set. There's definitely a million sets I wish I could have included, both upper and lower range, though I will say I'm personally far less interested in the lower range pickups and at the end of the day I'm doing this out of my own curiousity... I'm just taking you guys along for the ride. I'd be doing this with or without a Youtube channel :)
You should make a sub 200 dollar PAF clone comparison

yeatzee

Reaction score
You should make a sub 200 dollar PAF clone comparison
Which sets would top that list for you? I doubt I'd get to that, that doesn't excite me much and these videos take literally weeks worth of work to finish, but I'm curious!

LP1865

Reaction score
Which sets would top that list for you? I doubt I'd get to that, that doesn't excite me much and these videos take literally weeks worth of work to finish, but I'm curious!
Off the top of my head:-
1. Tonerider Alnico 2 Classics
2. Tonerider Alnico 4 Classics
3. Vineham Sweet V59
4. GFS Classic II
5. GFS Vintage 59
6. Seymour Duncan '59
7. Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates

I can think of more, especially from Dimarzio, and several other winders.
I can understand it takes time, it was just a suggestion. I'd love to do it myself, but I have neither the funds nor quality amps to test and record them through

AJK1

Reaction score
Seth Lovers will do vs the other ones

AJK1

Reaction score
Or do a Blind Test Comparison and have a cheaper but good quality set in there and see what eventuates

Latest Threads