Throbak | ReWind | Holmes | Wizz | Lollar | Gibson MHS - Video Comparison

What were your top 2 favorite sets overall?

• Throbak SLE-101+ LTD

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Tom Holmes H450 / H455

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • ReWind Electric 1958 PAF

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • Memphis Historic Spec PAF

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • ReWind Electric Low Output A5

• Lollar Low Wind Imperial

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Wizz Premium Clone PAF

• Total voters

yeatzee

Reaction score
Imagine if you did the video without identifying the pickups until people had voted for which they liked best...I imagine that the results would be a liiiiiittle different.
Yep, of course it would. But nobody is actually interested in watching those videos, they never get views and we don't live in a world absent of sight and preconceived ideas. Now if you are interested in that sort of thing by all means it's super easy to try at home, just pull up the video, minimize the window and have a notepad/word doc handy. Write down your favorites for each excerpt, and then check back and see how it compared to your first watch of the video. I used a random list generator to choose the order of each excerpt so it's all totally random, no pattern to catch on to and cheat with :)

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Imagine if you did the video without identifying the pickups until people had voted for which they liked best...I imagine that the results would be a liiiiiittle different.
We had one of those here a few years back.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure they would with some.... There are also some critical listeners and I like to think I am one of em.... I'm very opinionated and sometimes might not be the person to ask if you wish to hear a 'canned' response... I neither feel guilty not preferring XYZ, nor pumped up preferring XYZ... There are others in here the same... Very little I really dislike (other than most Gib basses, that old Sunn solid state slab amp, Simmons electronic drums, and most folks beating a tambourine into submission)....but I can be very opinionated in my preferences....

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
...and most folks beating a tambourine into submission...
I'd love hear a comparison of what The Rolling Stones songs would sound like with, and without, the off-tempo tambourines. You know, those ones that are so off it sounds like someone is playing another song in the background.

They used to really distract and annoy me but, after hearing those comparison videos, like where someone quantizes John Bonham or Van Halen in a sequencer and it sounds just terrible when it's perfectly on beat, I now think those "so loose they would be muted today" tambourines must part of the charm of those old Stones songs.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I try to be open minded. For example I had a bit of a predjudice against A5 magnets, yet the ReWind Low Winds with the A5s were my favorite pickups in the video.

Interesting how on the other forum they are anti boutique pickup winders due to price? There are plenty of fantastic guitars (and pickups) that are out of reach for me financially but I can certainly admit when they sound fantastic.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some folks are
I'd love hear a comparison of what The Rolling Stones songs would sound like with, and without, the off-tempo tambourines. You know, those ones that are so off it sounds like someone is playing another song in the background.

They used to really distract and annoy me but, after hearing those comparison videos, like where someone quantizes John Bonham or Van Halen in a sequencer and it sounds just terrible when it's perfectly on beat, I now think those "so loose they would be muted today" tambourines must part of the charm of those old Stones songs.

Maybe....but some sound about as musical as Bobcat Goldthwaite wearing a belly dancer outfit with all the jingles on it tripping and rolling down the steps of the Washington Monument....

MCT

Reaction score
Sure they would with some.... There are also some critical listeners and I like to think I am one of em.... I'm very opinionated and sometimes might not be the person to ask if you wish to hear a 'canned' response... I neither feel guilty not preferring XYZ, nor pumped up preferring XYZ... There are others in here the same... Very little I really dislike (other than most Gib basses, that old Sunn solid state slab amp, Simmons electronic drums, and most folks beating a tambourine into submission)....but I can be very opinionated in my preferences....
I meant this not so much about our community, but TGP...though I guess as a principle, it’s quite universal.

MCT

Reaction score

I know this sounds like a hyperbole, but I find it to be quite true- over-perfection is poisonous to rock and roll.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every note value has a window. If everything is on the front edge of the window things 'can' start to sound sterile. Some phrases call for it out of necessity. Solos breathe when they do not strictly adhere to the front edge. It is cool to hear something based on a five or seven but not everyone can play fives and sevens... Some folks have problems with old blues because of floating meter, dropped/added beats/half-beats... (Think phrase based instead of time-sig based...severely alien to many.).
Trying to quantize Mahavishnu Orch would explode a computer.... Cobham could play patterns seemingly void of beats/divisions but they were there, just not typical divisions... They all could, especially Goodman playing violin... And there's McLaughlin... Jan Hammer was light years past Miami Vice music but gotta eat... Laird could follow all those guys... Listening to them is painful to some because of atypical adherence to time/key... It's there...just relative...extremely relative....but more oblique relativity...

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I find the best way to be unbiased is get your top set of headphones or best speakers fired up and start the vid, then open another tab / window / whatever and get distracted browsing moon hoax or 'Where is Pamela Anderson Now?'...or anything else that tickles your fancy.

When a set kicks into your ears and tears you back to reality, open the vid window/tab back up and check what it is. You might be surprised how often the same pickups are the ones to wrestle you back from the Youtube rabbit hole.

For anyone interested in the original pickup shootout, I have them hosted on my Youtube channel (with Jamman's permission.) They're pretty amazing!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
An idea to take that to another level of nerdery (something I would do) is start a timer when you start playing the video (while only listening and not watching it) and write down the time stamps as you take notes. Then you can go back and compare what you thought of the sound to the times in the video and see which sets you were listening to when you wrote any of your thoughts.

mdubya

Reaction score
While it is a great demo, none of the pickups are even dialed in to where they sound and perform best, just a similar height.

One of the things I was getting at in my earlier post, what sounds good through a microphone and a playback speaker may not sound like you think it will, "in the room."

I don't typically like playing A5 magnet humbuckers, but I'll be damned if they don't usually sound good to me in demos, like really good.

And once you think about all of the variables of dialing in pickup heights and pole pieces, then you can start fiddling with the volume and tone controls.

And it goes on... :lol:

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
One of the things I was getting at in my earlier post, what sounds good through a microphone and a playback speaker may not sound like you think it will, "in the room."
So much truth! I remember back when I was buying and trying, maybe a year before I started winding and I was recording / testing pretty much everything available on the market (ie: MLP Classifieds).

I went through 30+ sets with recordings and impressions written out as I experimented. There was a LOT of footage. Listening back to them, there was one set that sounded just killer on the recording but was mediocre in real life. It was a bit shocking really.

BigJim

Reaction score
At some point, you are "buying the winder" and not just a pickup.

@cooljuk has spent a ton of time throughout the years to get me really great sounding pickups.

Recently, he offered a set of Creme Brulees at a discounted price (customer order error), and I snapped them up and put them in my very finicky 59 Replica. They didn't sound good in that guitar, but not many pickups I have tried did.

James went above and beyond, trying to find that right formula for a very hard to fit guitar. The Replica has a very pronounced midrange, I told him that it sounded more like a steel bodied dobro than a Martin D28. He took the Creme Brulees back, swapped out magnets (A2 to A5) and I put them in. BANG! The guitar sounds amazing now, still has the midrange, but it's not as pronounced.

I know it sounds like "oh, all he did was swap magnets", but it goes deeper than that, he went out of his way to make sure the set he sold me fit the guitar I had put them in.

I have other maker's sets in other guitars, A set of Throbak SLE 101s are in my goldtop and will never leave it..

I just get bent when people hem and haw about prices of PAF types or when winders can't be reached for help. Virgil Arlo doesn't have an email address...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

And the converse... I worked on a 'Beatle bass' for a bud's studio a while back... Never was a fan of those basses at all.... I tested it out after I worked on it and signed off on it... Still didn't like it.... Played it at the studio....still didn't like it at all not even a little bit.... Rain it into a track in ProTools, listened to the playback and was amazed.... Sounded damn good 'recorded'.... Odd, but interestingly strange... Still don't like playing it though.... Records great though.....

MCT

Reaction score
So much truth! I remember back when I was buying and trying, maybe a year before I started winding and I was recording / testing pretty much everything available on the market (ie: MLP Classifieds).

I went through 30+ sets with recordings and impressions written out as I experimented. There was a LOT of footage. Listening back to them, there was one set that sounded just killer on the recording but was mediocre in real life. It was a bit shocking really.
You’ve piqued my interest, Dave- PM me which set you’re referring to.

mdubya

Reaction score
And the converse... I worked on a 'Beatle bass' for a bud's studio a while back... Never was a fan of those basses at all.... I tested it out after I worked on it and signed off on it... Still didn't like it.... Played it at the studio....still didn't like it at all not even a little bit.... Rain it into a track in ProTools, listened to the playback and was amazed.... Sounded damn good 'recorded'.... Odd, but interestingly strange... Still don't like playing it though.... Records great though.....
It is good practice to record yourself, no doubt. :thumb:

When I play for my own pleasure, I don't grab the guitars with the Tom Holmes pickups (usually). But when I want a certain something in a recording, I know where to go. Usually what I want is for others to tell me how great they sound! :lol:

Tom Holmes into a clean Marshall or fat Fender with tremolo and just a bit too much reverb? Oh my! :shock:

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
You’ve piqued my interest, Dave- PM me which set you’re referring to.
I have no secrets; this is all 100% subjective anyway. I was using a very vanilla sounding Epiphone Explorer and a custom kit Trinity Tramp. The Epi is long gone and the Tramp is in a heap needing to be reborn.

The set that killed in the recording but sounded somewhat plain in the room was a set of MHD 86/87... I think they were called? The Slash set for what it's worth. Rayne wound some great pickups.

More noteable from the time; Sheptone Tribute neck was to die for, bridge wasn't to my taste. On the flipside the OX4 bridge mesmerized me and that neck didn't. I should have put the two together but my OCD type attitude prevents me installing mismatched sets so they went out the door to get something else in.

From the Jamman shootout, my ears heard magic in the Throbak set but when I got them....and I think it was the actual set from the vid if I recall correctly, they didn't work for me in my setup.

Rewind JPPre were amazing all around, the JPPost were not for me.

Guitarforce LOTB set. Man. I went on a spree and bought all that I could find as they sounded good everywhere. Kevin had stepped out of the winding game shortly after I joined MLP so I never got to buy them from him. He's back now though... I still have 1 set.

Wizz were amazing and his Tele set was also mind blowing. I still have those.

Skatterbrane Benwabrane and Waterbrane sets were also spectacular but they're guitarless and sitting on the shelf right now.

Another couple keeper sets were the one's Barnaby sent me. BarnStormers and BarnBurners.

MasterEvan07

Reaction score
I have no secrets; this is all 100% subjective anyway. I was using a very vanilla sounding Epiphone Explorer and a custom kit Trinity Tramp. The Epi is long gone and the Tramp is in a heap needing to be reborn.

The set that killed in the recording but sounded somewhat plain in the room was a set of MHD 86/87... I think they were called? The Slash set for what it's worth. Rayne wound some great pickups.

More noteable from the time; Sheptone Tribute neck was to die for, bridge wasn't to my taste. On the flipside the OX4 bridge mesmerized me and that neck didn't. I should have put the two together but my OCD type attitude prevents me installing mismatched sets so they went out the door to get something else in.

From the Jamman shootout, my ears heard magic in the Throbak set but when I got them....and I think it was the actual set from the vid if I recall correctly, they didn't work for me in my setup.

Guitarforce LOTB set. Man. I went on a spree and bought all that I could find as they sounded good everywhere. Kevin had stepped out of the winding game shortly after I joined MLP so I never got to buy them from him. He's back now though... I still have 1 set.

Skatterbrane Benwabrane and Waterbrane sets were also spectacular but they're guitarless and sitting on the shelf right now.

Another couple keeper sets were the one's Barnaby sent me. BarnStormers and BarnBurners.
I don't think I spent enough time with Wizz when I had them, but they were also in one hella fickle guitar. However, in that same guitar, I recall Benwabranes being fantastic - still one of my few "oh wow!" gear moments...but that could've just been youth too as I was prertty fresh to pup swapping at the time.

OX4 was the exact same experience for me - the bridge just ripped! But the neck was just not there, I couldn't get enough detail/articulation from it.

I try not to stumble down the perfect-match-for-the-specific-instrument rabbit hole as much these days. Doing some work with @cooljuk has afforded some opportunities to scratch that itch, but generally it's too laborious and distracts me from actually becoming a better musician.

Roxy13

Reaction score

You are the reason I bought some LOTBs recently! I still have to get them into the guitar as I have someone else's guitar I need to finish up first. I refretted his and put a new nut on, put on some set up strings and then discovered there was no sound from the electronics. It's a shorting switch situation so I'm going to replace that. With all the USPS delays going on though the new switch isn't here yet. It's a LP Special and needed a short switch and I had no extras.

And just to give you some creds too I love my Bluesman Chicago 68s in my Tokai :)

Latest Threads