Throbak | ReWind | Holmes | Wizz | Lollar | Gibson MHS - Video Comparison

What were your top 2 favorite sets overall?

• Throbak SLE-101+ LTD

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Tom Holmes H450 / H455

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • ReWind Electric 1958 PAF

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • Memphis Historic Spec PAF

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • ReWind Electric Low Output A5

• Lollar Low Wind Imperial

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Wizz Premium Clone PAF

• Total voters

yeatzee

Reaction score
Well it took a minute, but I finally shot the second PAF comparison this time with my ES345 and a bunch of new pickups!

Same as before, only to a lesser extent because of the number of pickups, I ran them through a few different amps playing a few different styles for the excerpts and spliced them all back to back in a random order using a random list generator. All the pickups were set to the same height, same strings used, and I had extension leads wired to the pots to make pickup swaps possible in the ES345 :)

If you haven't yet seen the first video, here's the thread for it: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/pickup-comparison-wizz-paf-vs-rewind-vs-doyle-coils-vs-custombuckers-vs-righteous-sound.443340/

As before I'll be doing a follow up video where I discuss my thoughts and impressions as the player, but I leave these first videos without that to stop from influencing what people hear. So with that, curious to hear what you thought!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lester vid, worthless redneck opinion on favs.

Doyles and Custombuckers nailed each other... Very nice. Liked both a lot. Close second tie.
Rewind had some little peak that added a sparkly presence of sorts, lacking in the rest. [ Winner ]

Same redneck with a worthless opinion on 345 vid above:

Short & Sweet - Tie. Rewind Low, Memphis, Lollar Low. Liked all three.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll have to listen when I can grab my headphones, looking forward to it!

RocketKing

Reaction score
I was waiting for this one!
I'm considering swapping out pick ups on my 339.
Personally it'll be interesting to hear the Rewind 58 set

Roxy13

Reaction score
I wouldn't kick any of those pickups out of the house, but after hearing this I think I am gong to move my set of ReWind Low Outputs over to a 335. And put something else in the SG they are residing in.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I wouldn't kick any of those pickups out of the house, but after hearing this I think I am gong to move my set of ReWind Low Outputs over to a 335. And put something else in the SG they are residing in.
If yours are a few years old (I don't remember when/if you got them from me), they are most certainly the Low Output A2 PAF version. The video above has my Low Output A5 PAF version (same pickups, just different mags).

If you want to swap the mags, just hit me up and I'll be happy to send the A5s along or do the swap for you.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Mrs. ReWind watched the video and told me I should get some nice lighting for my amp room like he has. :thumb:

Through the IRs and dirt pedal in the first half or so, the differences between the various pickups are all subtle. Those differences seem to come out more in the cleaner parts in the second half, at least on my speakers.

I thought all the pickups had strong points for different applications.

Roxy13

Reaction score
If yours are a few years old (I don't remember when/if you got them from me), they are most certainly the Low Output A2 PAF version. The video above has my Low Output A5 PAF version (same pickups, just different mags).

If you want to swap the mags, just hit me up and I'll be happy to send the A5s along or do the swap for you.
The pickups came with that SG so I'm not sure what magnets are in them. I was wondering that myself lol.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
The pickups came with that SG so I'm not sure what magnets are in them. I was wondering that myself lol.
I didn't offer the A5 version as a standard set until around 2018. ...but I would do it for certain situations on request, and such. The magnet may say "RWA2" or "RWA5" or something similar to that on the north / slugs face, if you look at it.

Another common mod I did/do for SGs and 24 fret guitars is an underwound slug coil in the neck pickup. Kinda helps keep the neck a little more "neck sounding" when the pickup is located closer to the middle/bridge position in those designs. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but I think it has to do with the harmonics of the strings in relation to the pickup location. It just works out that way. In that case, the neck would have a lower reading, maybe 7k.

That certainly won't harm the sound in any other guitar (only make it clearer/brighter) but it might be a little less chewy / chimey in a LP style build.

AJK1

Reaction score
Mrs. ReWind watched the video and told me I should get some nice lighting for my amp room like he has. :thumb:

Through the IRs and dirt pedal in the first half or so, the differences between the various pickups are all subtle. Those differences seem to come out more in the cleaner parts in the second half, at least on my speakers.

I thought all the pickups had strong points for different applications.
Yep, the differences shine through on clean

jlee

Reaction score
1st series Low Outputs. Original A2 neck magnet and I think Throbak UOA5. Could be a ReWind A5. Can’t remember...I was experimenting with some ReWind and Throbak A5s at the time and can’t remember which finally ended up in there.

yeatzee

Reaction score
Thanks for watching everyone! I forgot to add a poll to the OP so it's there now to vote on your favorite two.

Fralin's Pure PAF's are so damn good. It would have been nice to have those in the comparison.
Man there are so many I wish I could have tried! There's definitely no shortage of PAF clones out there!

Latest Threads