Throbak Pure Nickel Strings

PageSide84

Reaction score
I've been using RotoSound Pure Nickels and Gibson Vintage Reissue strings for years. They are great strings, and sound better to me than most of the other strings I'd tried.

On a whim, I decided to give some other pure nickel strings a try. I ordered some Curt Mangan pure nickel (hex wound) and some Throbak pure nickel (hex wound) strings. The Curt Mangans haven't arrived yet, so I have no opinion on them. I did, however, just install a set of the Throbak strings and I am stunned by how great they sound.

My experience with the Rotos and Gibson strings has been that they can be a bit "jangly" right out of the pack. They've always been a bit metallic sounding and needed some time to get worn in. The Throbaks have none of that metallic harshness right out of the pack. I wouldn't say they're more mellow than the Rotos or Gibsons, but they are sweeter. There is more richness to the tones, especially on the unwound strings. They sound broken in straight away. Anyway, I can't say enough about how impressed I am with the Throbak pure nickel strings. The price is right in line with the Rotos and Gibsons, too. I haven't seen anyone post about them in a while, so I figured I'd throw my opinion out there.

Maybe I'm full of beans, but I'm very impressed with these strings. If anyone is looking for a good pure nickel string, try the Throbaks. They arrived very quickly and sound incredible. End rant.

AJK1

Reaction score
I’ve used Pure Nickel Electric strings exclusively for years
Lately I’ve been using Ernie Balls and they sound and feel great
I’ll never use anything else on my electric guitars

JMP

Reaction score
I've been using RotoSound Pure Nickels and Gibson Vintage Reissue strings for years. They are great strings, and sound better to me than most of the other strings I'd tried.

On a whim, I decided to give some other pure nickel strings a try. I ordered some Curt Mangan pure nickel (hex wound) and some Throbak pure nickel (hex wound) strings. The Curt Mangans haven't arrived yet, so I have no opinion on them. I did, however, just install a set of the Throbak strings and I am stunned by how great they sound.

My experience with the Rotos and Gibson strings has been that they can be a bit "jangly" right out of the pack. They've always been a bit metallic sounding and needed some time to get worn in. The Throbaks have none of that metallic harshness right out of the pack. I wouldn't say they're more mellow than the Rotos or Gibsons, but they are sweeter. There is more richness to the tones, especially on the unwound strings. They sound broken in straight away. Anyway, I can't say enough about how impressed I am with the Throbak pure nickel strings. The price is right in line with the Rotos and Gibsons, too. I haven't seen anyone post about them in a while, so I figured I'd throw my opinion out there.

Maybe I'm full of beans, but I'm very impressed with these strings. If anyone is looking for a good pure nickel string, try the Throbaks. They arrived very quickly and sound incredible. End rant.
Nice summary. I don’t have a ton of experience with pure nickel strings, but I sometimes use the Ernie Ball Rock n Rolls and really like their tone and feel.
I’ll order some ThroBak pure nickel strings and see how they compare.

Anyone know who makes the Throbak strings?

PageSide84

Reaction score
Nice summary. I don’t have a ton of experience with pure nickel strings, but I sometimes use the Ernie Ball Rock n Rolls and really like their tone and feel.
I’ll order some ThroBak pure nickel strings and see how they compare.

Anyone know who makes the Throbak strings?

I believe the EB Rock n Rolls are pure nickel. So, you may have more experience than you think.

sonar1

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.
Strings are important.
I’ve been using nickel plated steel for quite a while, but that could change.
:thumb:

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used DR Pure Blues for a long time.

Then when I got back into playing a few years ago, I began buying Ernie Ball again. I haven’t looked back.

Reactions: JMP

JMP

Reaction score

I believe the EB Rock n Rolls are pure nickel. So, you may have more experience than you think.
Thanks! What I meant to ask was, Throbak most certainly subcontracts the manufacturing of the strings to GHS, Daddario, or someone else. Who makes the strings for Throbak?
For example, I believe Daddario makes strings for Gibson.

judson

Reaction score
Ernie Ballsack Beefy Slinkys (11's) for most of my guitars

bought a few packs of Regular Slinkys (10s) ....but going back to the Beefys until my fingers seize up...just a preference.

never had a reason to try something else and prices are fair if you buy the multi packs

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need to try the ThroBak strings sometime.
I do like nickel strings.
I kinda rotate my brands, as soon as my EB supply dries up, will give them a whirl.
Thanks.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Curt Mangan pure nickel wrapped strings are now available in round core, and I really like them. Much better than the same strings in hex core. I have tried several pure nickel round core sets and the Curt Mangan sets are the best I’ve tried, for me. I have not tried Throback, but I will if they come in round core, which I prefer. And I am not concerned about the size of the factory or number of employees. You see, Curt Mangan’s factory is a metal building in the little plains town of Cortez, CO about 30 miles west of Durango where I live. I have visited Curt’s factory and met him. He gave me a tour, education, and free set of strings! The factory doesn’t look like much from the outside, but the machinery inside is impressive, and so are his strings, IMHO.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yeah, Throbacks pure nickel round core are $9.95 with free shipping. This is a nice price but not overly cheap. My local music sells DR pure blues for the same price. I used to use those, but gad problems with D strings that wouldn’t intonate.

moreles

Reaction score
Ah... that elusive "mellow" "sweet" "richness..." How is that measured? It's reemarkable how different different makers' pure nickels can sound. Glad you like Throbaks. Pyramid pure nickels are airy and clear and last.

kungpow!

Reaction score
I guess if I was wealthy id play pure nickel all the time.

I've tried dr, and ernie ball, and gibson. I think the drs sound a lil warmer, feel a little softer. More "vintage" lol. Neva tried throbak.

But I just stay with nickel plate steel. Whatever I can find cheap, boomers, slinkys, or dunlop.

dro

Reaction score
Been plying these for the last 20 years or better.
10's.JPG Love 'em

bgrizz

Reaction score
Dave Friedman has a podcast called Tone Talk, episode 50 has the Throbak guy and he just finished talking about their string portion of business. I thought it was pretty cool to see this post mention his strings and then hear him talking about it on a separate podcast.

Latest Threads