Thrift Shops

circles

Reaction score
I get a lot of stuff at thrift stores. Well, not a lot lot, but some stuff.

LPBR

Reaction score
Well $5 is the max I pay on a t-shirt, but I rarely buy used clothes. I remember to do it just once.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We shop for clothing almost exclusively at garage sales and thrift stores. Mostly for my wife and kids...men's clothes are fairly tough to find.

When you've had to feed, clothe, and house a family of 4 on $13/hour you tend to get creative.

You Sir are a stand up family man - hats off to you.

Indeed. That is how it's done.

JMV

Reaction score
You Sir are a stand up family man - hats off to you.

Indeed. That is how it's done.

Thanks, fellas. What makes it easier is that my wife and I made the decision to go down to one income (after about 7 months of my unemployment no less) together. Her staying home with the kids had been on our hearts for a long time, even before we had kids. Best decision we've ever made. It's been tough, but well worth it.

Incidentally, it helps tremendously that I almost never have to call in professionals to fix things around the house or on the vehicles. I don't know how we would survive otherwise. I just HAVE to be good at fixing shit. :laugh2:

OH, and we do it without any government assistance. :thumb:

nauc

Reaction score
im cheaper than all you. when i go to pawnshops, i steal a bunch of sh!t

that was a joke :laugh2:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get my clothes at Wal Mart. Isn't that the same thing?

jonas335

Reaction score
A few years ago I saw a nice pair of Viberg boots at the local Sally Ann, I tried them on and they fit great but had a bit of nail sticking up from the heel area - $6. I took them home flattened the nail with a bit of steel rod and a hammer, great. Then I looked them up on the internet - Viberg, hand made in Victoria BC - $400+. Pretty good day!

Fracture

Reaction score
20140531_101009_zpsd6jkfh2f.jpg

Thrift shop score.
Gotta go back for the sofa.

20140531_112849_zpsenzcwi4a.jpg

WolfeMacleod

V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I picked up a large Peavey 4x12 cab in good shape a couple years ago.. Works good, good shape.

$15.

Looks much like the one in this picture.

bassrig.png

EvLectric

Reaction score
I picked up a brand new with tags and screws skb 4 space rack for $5!
5 pair of Levis for $25! A late sixties stereo reciever/amp for 17.50 in 1989. Still works and sounds good!

EvLectric

Reaction score
I picked up a large Peavey 4x12 cab in good shape a couple years ago.. Works good, good shape.

$15.

Looks much like the one in this picture.

bassrig.png

I bought a cab just like this from a friend for $20.
Found a big ol bag of pot in it a week later. He said keep it, and sold me a Fender Twin for a $100.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Thanks, fellas. What makes it easier is that my wife and I made the decision to go down to one income (after about 7 months of my unemployment no less) together. Her staying home with the kids had been on our hearts for a long time, even before we had kids. Best decision we've ever made. It's been tough, but well worth it.

Incidentally, it helps tremendously that I almost never have to call in professionals to fix things around the house or on the vehicles. I don't know how we would survive otherwise. I just HAVE to be good at fixing shit. :laugh2:

OH, and we do it without any government assistance. :thumb:

even when you do have the money __ it's much smarter to live below your means . finding ways to save can be a creative challenge

the groceries for a family would be a good place to start . change your eating habits __ avoid processed foods and junk , and ( if you eat meat ) __ try to find a restaurant owner that will let you buy in bulk to freeze . split the cost with a friend if you have to . I happen to know that chicken can be as low as 75 cents a pound for boneless skinless restaurant quality . . . while in the stores it's almost $4.00 :shock:

( side note : try to steer the young ones towards hobbies that don't cost too much . my nephews are killing my sister's finances with the vid games and electronics )

boney bones lee

Reaction score
I work a drive-thru donation center at a local thrift store and have seen it ALL.

You guys wouldn't believe some of the stuff that gets donated.
Everything from garbage to gold.

Still waiting for some little old lady to come in with a 59 Les Paul but ya never know!

Sakamoto

Reaction score
I never seem to find any "good deals" there but a friend recently went into a Goodwill store and found a '67 Fender Princeton Reverb and got it for $35! I offered him $100! lol

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
How much did you pay for the cat?

.. Let me tell ya bout that cat ..

.. I open the door to let in my black cat and it comes right in to the food bowl as usual .. starts eating as usual .. I am looking at the cat ..

.. this cat has a very nice coat .. fur is looking good ..

.. this is not my black cat .. it was an imposter .. just waltzed in ..
.. so I let her stay .. she disappeared for a month one time .. then just showed up at the door .. we called her #2 Black cat ..

.. but she went off somewhere a couple months ago .. she was older .. and we have not seen her again .. but she had a nice stay for a couple of years ..

boney bones lee

Reaction score
I never seem to find any "good deals" there but a friend recently went into a Goodwill store and found a '67 Fender Princeton Reverb and got it for $35! I offered him $100! lol

Calling bullshit on this!

You think that stuff just comes in and goes out for sale with no one having a clue what it is?

boney bones lee

Reaction score
We have folks from every walk of life who will give opinions about pricing stuff.

S. Rock

Reaction score
I once went looking for a stool to use at "jam sessions". I got tired of sitting on my amp. my daughter and I first went to "Savers". nothing. although, there was one possibility. we then went to the local Good Will store. I found 3 bar stools. I tested to see which was the sturdiest and chose one. the price tag appeared to say $9. not bad. I got to the cash register and the clerk said $5. cool !

now fast forward a couple of years. I went to Kansas City for a Gretsch Roundup. I brought the stool. a lot of guys were using it when I wasn't sitting in it. the Gretsch Guitar Company's featured guest at the Roundup was Tom (TV) Jones. yep, the guy that makes the pickups. well, at the end of the night when I was putting my gear away, I had to ask Mr. Jones ifhe was finished using my stool. :D

so, I like thrift stores.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I try avoid them cause I always go there without a goal, just to nose around. And I always end up buying useless stuff that I find funny and just cant resist buying.

Last time I bought a wooden mace made of ebony. totally useless but it looked pretty cool

Latest Threads