Three pickups, five combinations and everyone sounds the same.

ns2a

Reaction score
I’m talking about regular Strats. A Strat is one of the best designed guitars ever, many of my favorite players used them and a truly amazing tool. But somewhere along the way everyone who plays one sounds the same, and falls into the same 3 sounds. And I don’t remember this being the case

I don’t find this with Tele, LP, or even a 1 P-90 pickup Jr.

One theory, too many guitars. When you have one guitar, no matter the type, you needed to learn how to cover multiple bases.

I haven’t heard or seen a Strat used for hard rock in decades, and it seems it’s been relegated to a stunt guitar that just does “those” tones. But back in the day it was diffe
I disagree with your premise

fett

Reaction score
Speaking of Strats...... I'm getting 3 of mine ready to sell. You Gibby guys are lucky you don't have to worry about trem arms. Over the years, I have accumulated lots of them. My '83 USA takes a very special and rare arm. I got that covered. My '91 USA Deluxe Plus is covered. My '04 MIM was a bitch. It took 10 arms to find the one that. Anyway, me only having one arm has kinda made guitar playing difficult. :jam:

coreydm676

The Cosmos
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't stand the Strat bridge sound. Way too shrill for me. I put a JB in the bridge with a coil split switch and now it's my most versatile guitar. The combination of the hot bridge humbucker with a cooler bell like Strat neck and middle pickups for when you need to clean up a bit. Since the JB is pretty hot it maintains output pretty well when split and sounds like a stray bridge without being to trebley. I also agree sometimes the volume knob being so close to the strings pisses me off I had a push-push in it for my coil split but ended up removing it and going to a classic mini toggle so the knob could sit closer to the guitar and be out of my way. I actually used that guitar for 2 years straight without a volume knob till I had the time to finally rewire it. For sure my desert island guitar. I guess going to a gig and could only bring one it's my Strat.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I disagree with your premise
+1
SRV and many others intentionally sound like Hendrix.
Joe Perry doesn't. Neither does Jeff Beck, Blackmore, Clapton (unless he wants to) or Eric Johnson.

Many Strat players sound the same because they WANT to sound the same.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
+1
Joe Perry doesn't. Neither does Jeff Beck, Blackmore, Clapton (unless he wants to) or Eric Johnson.

True very true.

sonar1

Reaction score
Compression is of the debil.
Gives me ear fatigue.

I prefer Roy Buchanan stabbing one note to death, than everybody sounding like they’re about to play 356 notes per minute for the six millionth time.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
+1

You’re actually agreeing with my premise.

Latest Threads