Three pice body question

Hozy

Reaction score
I have a 81 wine red custom , and was wondering if I should be able to feel the seams on the three piece top ? I can see them and feel them. Any information would be great,thanks.

judson

Reaction score
pics would be helpful..

seeing them is normal

feeling them isnt normal unless the finish was stripped and they are starting to separate

oh wait you said it was wine....could be the finish is cracking or the wood separating/moving a bit

grumphh

Reaction score
was wondering if I should be able to feel the seams on the three piece top ? I can see them and feel them.
No you shouldn't.

Doesn't mean that it can't happen, but on my '71 and '79 LP's i can neither feel nor see the seams on the top.

(Of course on the SB '71 (in the avatar) i can see where the three maple pieces meet, but there is no indication of that on the laquer surface.)

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 1978 Custom....see them? .....YES.....Feel them?....NO

IMG_0026.jpg

On my 1977 Custom i can't even see them.

IMG_0068.jpg

Heppe

Reaction score
As stated above, I can see the seems on my 78 std but not feel them.

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
Whatever it is about that era, yeah, you can sometimes feel the glue joints on the top and at the wings of the headstock, etc. Often times, it just seems that the wood has shrunk/settled a bit and a butt of a ridge remains along the joint. And if everything is still perfectly tight, then NBD. That having been said, I have seen ones that have started to warp away a bit and actually separate. Unless there's a water damage issue, something that old is probably stable at this point and those seams aren't really structural. As long as that center section of the top is securely glued to the back, it doesn't really matter what's happening either side of it the the other two pieces lie.

All that having been said, still something that poses at least a little extra depreciation over one with nice tight, clean, smooth joints throughout.

Hozy

Reaction score
Whatever it is about that era, yeah, you can sometimes feel the glue joints on the top and at the wings of the headstock, etc. Often times, it just seems that the wood has shrunk/settled a bit and a butt of a ridge remains along the joint. And if everything is still perfectly tight, then NBD. That having been said, I have seen ones that have started to warp away a bit and actually separate. Unless there's a water damage issue, something that old is probably stable at this point and those seams aren't really structural. As long as that center section of the top is securely glued to the back, it doesn't really matter what's happening either side of it the the other two pieces lie.

All that having been said, still something that poses at least a little extra depreciation over one with nice tight, clean, smooth joints throughout.
Thanks for your information, if it wasn’t for the flaw with the seams it would be almost in perfect condition , I have no idea what it would be worth.

Latest Threads